Options

two days til CCENT

Comments

• Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Dollarhyde wrote: »
    That is why I have given you the advice to focus on them even before you took the exam. If you know them ICND2 should be much easier than ICND1, as ICND1 tests your knowledge and ICDN2 how well you can troubleshoot advanced networks with addition of STP and FR

Ya I did focus more on them guess I need to focus so much more and maybe just listen to videos on nothing but ICDN2 STP/Routing/FR stuff.

Some were ok, but others I was like O.O

not really upset or sad, it's a test of knowledge, nothing fatal. it's just money I'll take it again, it's a test of persistence....

My CCIE friend at the gym a little while earlier today recommended using CCNP level videos on STP as it explains it a bit better....My Gym Rat buddies are all IT guys but in their early 40's (I'm the young blood), one is a VCDX and two are CCIE's one has 3 of them, we call him 'cr*ck head Joe' cause he really has no life icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    bender_fender100bender_fender100 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm so sorry to hear that. It really seemed like you had this. Lots of STP huh? I've actually learned about it somewhat. I hope you get it next time.
    Working on CCENT and nearly almost there. Retake in December and pass, then after that, study for ICND2 and work on CCNA Security and look into Microsoft certifications. No previous IT certs.

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill
  • Options
    late_collisionlate_collision Member Posts: 146
    Rather than re-read the odom book again, I would highly recommend the lammle book. When I was more active in this forum, I was pretty vocal that odom falls short when it comes to STP.

Don't take my word for it. If you have a book store nearby, cruise over and read the STP chapter in the store. What will it hurt to see the material from a different perspective?
  • Options
    Ya I'm definitely going a different book route and a different video route.

Just staying at it...

I'll pass someday soon I'm determined. Look like November with be Cisco month like July was icon_razz.gif
  • Options
    befriended Rob Riker, CCIE: 50693 .... wow what a awesome guy to talk with for a few hours in IM. So helpful. Watching his videos on Youtube and INE.com

It's 1 am and I'm still wired.... so i'm studying... I'm so dtermined to pass it's not even funny....

I'm starting at the basics....

learning L2 and I mean everything until my eyes bleed. I'm going to learn ever timer, every types, everything....

Wow, I'm really touched, Rob made me a Packet tracer lab of STP for me to learn on... I think I might cry... it's the nicest thing anyone did for me...
  • Options
    verbhertzverbhertz Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck, you'll get it next time. RSTP isn't covered (at least to an acceptable extent) in the Odom OCG, so go online and get the addendum from Cisco Press. There is a real time crunch for the CCNA exam. I know you're motivated but just wanted to reiterate that it's a challenging test and there's nothing wrong with failing it (a few times if that's what it takes).
  • Options
    verbhertzverbhertz Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    TallDude7TallDude7 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    looks like you took the the ICND2 exam from the test results
  • Options
    Whelp this happen today.... round 2 in three weeks....

So in classical fashion cause I large big, and I got free time at work, I'm mixing it up on the laptop an making a large Frame Relay network. This is just the links and subnetting finished, now to configure it. This is going to be fun!!!!

• Options
    stunnedsoupstunnedsoup Member Posts: 120
    Deathmage wrote: »
    Whelp this happen today.... round 2 in three weeks....

So in classical fashion cause I large big, and I got free time at work, I'm mixing it up on the laptop an making a large Frame Relay network. This is just the links and subnetting finished, now to configure it. This is going to be fun!!!!

I am also leaning toward taking an exam (CCENT) that same day around that same time. Depends on my work travel schedule. Tentative for now.

As far as the large Frame Relay network goes...best of luck! My head took a spin just glancing at it. icon_bounce.gif
    Cisco: CCENT COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR CCNA COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR || MCSE: 70-410 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-411 [ ] 74-409 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-534 [ ] || VMWare: VCP [ ]
  • Options
    2nd Network is finished, onto the 3rd and 4th networks. :)

• Options
    Made a EIGRP with ACL's and EC's. Just keeping my skills sharp. More videos tonight and more labbing in the lab tomorrow.

• Options
    Going all in today, making my largest, most complex lab yet.

Going to encorporate everything from CCENT and ICDN2 into the lab.

• Options
    DollarhydeDollarhyde Member Posts: 111
    Going all in today, making my largest, most complex lab yet. Going to encorporate everything from CCENT and ICDN2 into the lab.
    You will surely pass it next time, you indeed practice a lot. Have you tried to practice on real equipment, I have found it much better than Packet Tracer?
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    Dollarhyde wrote: »
    You will surely pass it next time, you indeed practice a lot. Have you tried to practice on real equipment, I have found it much better than Packet Tracer?

maybe.... packet tracer can't do VRRP or a physical FR switch, so I use real hardware for that...

beware he's more scary than cute. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    DollarhydeDollarhyde Member Posts: 111
    maybe.... packet tracer can't do VRRP or a physical FR switch, so I use real hardware for that... beware he's more scary than cute. icon_wink.gif
    That is amazing lab! What rack do you use? I have some cheap one and I think I should upgrade!
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    stunnedsoupstunnedsoup Member Posts: 120
    Wow - nice setup! Must be fun getting to configure all of that!
    Cisco: CCENT COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR CCNA COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR || MCSE: 70-410 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-411 [ ] 74-409 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-534 [ ] || VMWare: VCP [ ]
  • Options
    OSPF and EIGRP routing with Frame Relay, including NAT, ACL's, Switch Security, Etherchannels, L3 'no switchport' addressing, Speed and duplex changes, Static and Dynamic routing, Floating routes, Multi-area OSPF, VLSM, Route Summarization,Spanning Tree Root Primary and Secondary, Spanning-tree bpduguard, and Spanning-tree filter.

took me most of the weekend to encorporate as much of ICDN2 that I could think of into the lab, probably spent a good portion of it troubleshooting cause this was defeintly my most complex network yet...

I think this week I'm going to do some small things, like EIGRP, STP with PVST+ and Rapid PVST+ (just a lab with them, with 4 vLAN's), then a bit more of the FR with point-to-point and point-to-multipoint (namely frame-relay interface-dlci is to point-to-point and as frame-relay map ip x.x.x.x [DLCI] {Optionial: Broadcast} is to point-to-multipoint) and then just the LMI types with frame-relay LMI-type.

So I got a few more things to keeping labbing with, just going to keep labbing right up until the exam on the 5th with hopes I can pass. That's the game plan, hardcore no life till the 5th as I've been for the past 2 months...

Listening to CCIE level STP, FR, and Troubleshooting in the background while I lab away.

Anyways, here is the completed lab:

(network in the middle at the top the 172.16.1.0 network is OSPF 0, had to use a CCNP command, redistribution, to get EIGRP and OSPF to talk on the EIGRP 5 on the right)

• Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Holy ****. I was thinking about CCNA for knowledge only and after reading the time and effort you have put into this endeavor I think I will pass. GJ thus far!
  • Options
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    Holy ****. I was thinking about CCNA for knowledge only and after reading the time and effort you have put into this endeavor I think I will pass. GJ thus far!

CCNA is no walk in the park like it used to be, labbing helps me really understand the technology with support from INE.com/Udemy/CBT Nuggets/Pluralsight videos.

Good note, the blueprint I can go down the list now and know with confidence I know them all decently.

If I do fail it again, I'll just keep studying until I become masterful. icon_razz.gif
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think the best way to approach the CCNA is to read the odom and lammle or a video series. Take the test hoping to pass but expecting to fail while running out of time. Try to remember the questions you had issues with, writing down helps, study those areas and take it again in a week or two. That's how I went from almost passing to acing it. It's a difficult test the first time around, once you know what to expect the second time is a lot easier if it's shortly after your first attempt.

Deathmage is a grueling longterm bootcamp onto himself, it's great work ethic but I can understand why it would chase people from taking the test. Deathmage were you grueling on the VCP as well, I didn't have the pleasure to follow that in case you posted updates. How did you find that test compared to these Cisco tests?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    techfiend wrote: »
    I think the best way to approach the CCNA is to read the odom and lammle or a video series. Take the test hoping to pass but expecting to fail while running out of time. Try to remember the questions you had issues with, writing down helps, study those areas and take it again in a week or two. That's how I went from almost passing to acing it. It's a difficult test the first time around, once you know what to expect the second time is a lot easier if it's shortly after your first attempt.

Deathmage is a grueling longterm bootcamp onto himself, it's great work ethic but I can understand why it would chase people from taking the test. Deathmage were you grueling on the VCP as well, I didn't have the pleasure to follow that in case you posted updates. How did you find that test compared to these Cisco tests?

I was very much so invested into VMware for the VCP. It paid off cause I do VMware day in and day out. I'm doing more and more networking and Wintel administration so that's great.

I do study a fraction ton on whatever I set my mind too... defeat is not an option, to me a test tells me I need to know more....

I'm set in my mind to pass CCNA, and not just to pass but to know the material. Hence why I lab daily, I want to own it.

Next I want VCP6-DCV and MCSA for 2016, but I'm doing VCP6-DCV next cause Windows Server 2016 comes out Q1 of 2016 so I'll probably go for that....been using Server 2016 in my home-lab for the past year...

As for videos, using the Rob Ricker CCIE R&S series on INE.com. been just reviewing the CCNA now on his seriea. Going for complete knowledge of the R&S material.

3 months of CCIE videos is nutso....but I'm so determined to pass CCNA!
  • Options
    You'll get it but do you ever think you get information overload when you study? I vaguely remember you writing after the CCENT you learned to not study for a test for so long or something like that.

I wonder what 2016 certs are going to be like. The 2012 ones are already pretty complicated.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    You'll get it but do you ever think you get information overload when you study? I vaguely remember you writing after the CCENT you learned to not study for a test for so long or something like that.

I wonder what 2016 certs are going to be like. The 2012 ones are already pretty complicated.

I do think this is accurate but If i study too little I forget....it's a catch 22.

That's why I lab allot.
  • Options
    cms819cms819 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I hope you get it soon. GL man I know you will pull through
  • Options
    Whelp I completed the CCIE R&S series on L2 switching, and STP as-well as EIGRP and OSPF with Frame Relay on Saturday. Yesterday I relaxed a bit a played some Fallout 4, so my brain could mellow out, but last night I did Chris Bryant's ICDN2 part of his videos and the videos made sense, so I guess looking at it from a CCIE level really helped me clear up the confusion.

Gotta hand it to Rob Riker, he was so correct on the notion that learning STP and switching at a CCIE level really helps at the CCNA level.

Now I'm just doing review all this week with Chris Bryant's videos on Udemy and taking the exam on Saturday. I took Friday off so I can relax and go to bed early.
  • Options
    I'm currently studying a much higher level for the VCP6, not by choice but because Mastering vSphere 6 is the only reading material out there. It seems way above what online study guides have in them. It's very overwhelming and there's so much I can't lab due to lack of resources, no, I'm not buying a FibreChannel SAN. My best guess is it's somewhere in between the two. Online study guides take maybe 20 hours to read, mastering vSphere is going to take at least 80. It bothers me why a company would come out with a certificate and not publish study guides for 6+ months. To push courses I guess.
  • Options
    I'm currently studying a much higher level for the VCP6, not by choice but because Mastering vSphere 6 is the only reading material out there. It seems way above what online study guides have in them. It's very overwhelming and there's so much I can't lab due to lack of resources, no, I'm not buying a FibreChannel SAN. My best guess is it's somewhere in between the two. Online study guides take maybe 20 hours to read, mastering vSphere is going to take at least 80. It bothers me why a company would come out with a certificate and not publish study guides for 6+ months. To push courses I guess.

Actually on the topic of VCP6-DCV. Once I'm finished with the CCNA: R&S me and Rob are going to be doing a Google Hangouts study group on VCP6-DCV like he's been doing with me for CCNA and use it as a basis for a VCP6-DCV studying video on INE.com. Since were both VCP5 certified it will be pretty fun to put two heads together as we study. :) - Rob and I both want to get VCAP or VCIX so we may study that one together. icon_smile.gif

Plus heck, we both have static IP's at home, maybe we'll do a SRM setup between our home-labs. icon_smile.gif ... off the hook right icon_razz.gif

As for a FibreChannel SAN, you don't need that bro. Just get a iSCSI capable NAS and setup Jumbo Frames on a dedicated switch like a Cisco 2960G and make two vLAN's for vMotion and vStorage and then just plug your vProduction vSwitch into your home network and you got yourself a home-grown Enterprise VMware cluster with network.

Just check out my blog below for ideas. Gotta have a physical lab, with servers and a NAS to use as a improvised SAN to lab from VMware. Same is true with Cisco, you need physical hardware at some point.... plus look at it this way, getting a VCP coupling that with your home Cisco lab, moving forward labbing up with Microsoft's 2016 MCSA/SE's will be easier have a full fledged home-lab covering all the basics of a corporate network. :)

Suggestion: do this, go snag two identical servers off eBay. I just prefer Dell, but get whatever you like. Like me I use Dell R610's. They got Dual Xeon's with Hyperthreading, 256 GB max of memory and enough slots for 24 gigabit nics and 8 bays for hard drives. Find ones with atleast 16 GB's of RAM each and identical CPU's and some hard drives (just enough to install ESXi) and get a NAS. If a NAS is out of budget, get servers with hard drives and use vSAN. You can find a decent R610 for like $250 off eBay. To start the R610's come with a onboard solo Quad nic, may need more later, I personally have 12 ports per server. Once you have the servers, let me know and we can do a Google Hangout and I can get you up and running in a few hours. :)

It helps keep my skills sharp too helping others. :)

If you need help you know where I am. icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    I've gone back and forth on buying physical hardware. I bought a CCNA lab but mainly used packet tracer, since it was quicker and easier to access. I'm currently saving up for a down payment on a house but do have a ways to go, rent is a bottomless pit. Noise is an issue, the cisco 2950's I bought have quiet fans but they were still too loud for me and I had to modify by taking out the fans and placing an 80x80mm outside of the grilles. Servers are much louder and the furthest away I could put them is in a closet. At one point I wanted to buy a rack and put it in a closet, then I realized every rack server I've seen is unbearable to be around. I've turned to doing it all virtually, this has worked so far except for some system center labs I did at work via RDP mostly after hours. Labbing at work is still a possibility but hopefully I'll be moving on soon.

I'm strongly considering buying a NAS to get through these labs. Is something like a WD or Seagate sufficient or should I move up to qnap or synology? I'd think 1TB would be plenty for labbing. Also can a NAS be used through vmware workstation? Since a NAS won't likely be useful outside of labbing maybe I'll look into vSAN. So far in Mastering vSphere 6 they've done little more than mentioning vSAN as a new feature.

At the next level of certs I know I'm going to need some physical hardware. Except for maybe the MCSE, which is likely next and possibly the only thing in 2016, VCP permitting. I'll need to find a couple quiet server(s) for cheap, I've considered a cloud or blade server to save some space but it might be better to go with a more traditional environment. A layer 3 switch, if I ever get network experience and a NAS. One thing that bothers me about buying technology is looking at it sitting around, unused. I also don't have the creativity to come up with my own labs and require structure.
  • Options
    You could always build a small server in a small form factor. a AMD 8 core CPU and mobo with a boatload of memory is like $300.