Options

two days til CCENT

Comments

• Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear the bad news. As far as Boson vs MeasureUp, I'd argue that Boson is far better for preparing you for the exam. I bought the MeasureUp exams prior to my exams and while they were okay, they have no simulations, no simlets, etc. If you have to get one, get Boson.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    koz24 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear the bad news. As far as Boson vs MeasureUp, I'd argue that Boson is far better for preparing you for the exam. I bought the MeasureUp exams prior to my exams and while they were okay, they have no simulations, no simlets, etc. If you have to get one, get Boson.

Meh, I was prepared to fail anyways. Failure isn't always a bad things. icon_wink.gif

will source out Boson.
    volfkhat wrote: »
    But now i'm Confused.
    How Much of this Exam is "Hands-on Simulations" versus standard "Multiple Choice" questions?

I know for a fact I can't answer this for you, because of NDA, but there is enough and their timing is always at the worst time.
  • Options
    liking this Boson NETsim 10, these are pretty interesting. will do as many of these tonight as I can...
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    I know for a fact I can't answer this for you, because of NDA, but there is enough and their timing is always at the worst time.

Umm... okay. lol

How about this:
    100-101 ICND1 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

According to Cisco, your exam was 45-55 questions; and 90 minutes.
    Would you say this is accurate?

Also, does the Exam allow you to SKIP questions and Come back to them later (Like Comptia exams)?
    [EDIT: Looks like the anser is NO- http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/exams/index_e.html ]

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great attitude. Sucks you failed it but one test is not what this is all about. Enjoy the journey. For me I know I struggled with the time management. Other then that it's really just hard to know what to expect until you have taken it once.

Good Luck on the retest.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Wow, that sucks to hear man. I guess I'll have to scratch this off my list. With all of the study and prep you put into it, I was sure you'd pass. And I'm sure I wouldn't put near as much effort into it as you did.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You'll get it next time for sure! I think now you've seen what kind of questions they ask, and they way they ask them, you'll nail it next time.

My guess is a 902 on your next one icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    It truly wasn't a walk in the park, but I entered rested, alert, and not jittery, I account this to the Focus+ supplement the past two weeks but I've failed so many times, with other IT exams, I wasn't upset. If anything I'm more determined to succeed now.

Positive note: I wasn't able to do this solo but on the test I did all of the subnetting in my head for the most part quickly, only looked at the subnetting graph a few times. I focused heavily the past few weeks on subnetting, acl's and NAT and those were the areas I ace'd.

Let just say a few of the sims covered my strong points and I wizzed right through them.

I like the Boson exams now, cause it feels like a Cisco one, but I like the study mode cause a few of the questions I can see where the wording is what throws me off and unlike other exams I've taken you can't go back so that new to me. Just going to keep taking them to see how things are worded and my only hope is hard work will pay off.

Just hope it isn't 5 exams till then, cause I'd shell it out until I pass!

hey... at-least I finally did sit the exam after 6 months, now I know where to work more. I kind of wanted a dry run, if I passed awesome if not it does server a purpose. Money to me is not my concern, learning is. icon_biggrin.gif
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Wow, that sucks to hear man. I guess I'll have to scratch this off my list. With all of the study and prep you put into it, I was sure you'd pass. And I'm sure I wouldn't put near as much effort into it as you did.

I beg to differ I think you should do it. "Nothing great was ever achieved because it was easy but because it was hard", I think JFK said that.

I remember that from some place and a quote Arnold S. said is what I live by with my certification pursuits and in life...." "....'Don't be afraid to fail'....Anything I ever attempted, I was always willing to fail, you can't always win but don't be afraid to make decision that make you fail, you can't be paralyzed by fear of failure or you will never push yourself. You keep pushing because you believe in yourself and your vision and you know it's the right thing to do and success will come....So don't be afraid to fail!"....

See as many know I'm learning disabled so I have a really hard time learning, but I've been more determined that most I know to overcome my handicap and succeed. If I need to invest another 1500 hours of study so be it. I will succeed.
  • Options
    I like the Boson exams now, cause it feels like a Cisco one, but I like the study mode cause a few of the questions I can see where the wording is what throws me off

Is this the product you refer to:
    100-101 ICND1 CCENT Practice Exam | Boson

If so, i'm gonna get it today
  • Options
    Is this the product you refer to:
    100-101 ICND1 CCENT Practice Exam | Boson

If so, i'm gonna get it today

Indeed.
  • Options
    See as many know I'm learning disabled so I have a really hard time learning, but I've been more determined that most I know to overcome my handicap and succeed. If I need to invest another 1500 hours of study so be it. I will succeed.

Inspiring Dude.

"Do. Or do not. There is no try."
  • Options
    Well I re-read the sections I was weak on and retool a boson exam and got a 945.

Just going to keep reading Odom's book and take chapter exams until the 17th.
  • Options
    Changing up my study routine.

Never took much notes before so I'm re-reading Odom's Book read 1 through 17 today, and once I'm done with it, do Chris Bryant Video's again, then review chapter notes, and then do Boson until I get at-least a 90% or above Once I get that I'll retake the exam soon and not wait weeks and weeks.

If i need to drive two hours to a testing center that open on a Saturday so be it.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I beg to differ I think you should do it. "Nothing great was ever achieved because it was easy but because it was hard", I think JFK said that.

I remember that from some place and a quote Arnold S. said is what I live by with my certification pursuits and in life...." "....'Don't be afraid to fail'....Anything I ever attempted, I was always willing to fail, you can't always win but don't be afraid to make decision that make you fail, you can't be paralyzed by fear of failure or you will never push yourself. You keep pushing because you believe in yourself and your vision and you know it's the right thing to do and success will come....So don't be afraid to fail!"....

It's not that cut and dry honestly. At this point in my career the CCENT doesn't do anything for me. And at this time I don't have plans to pursue the Cisco Security track (another story in and of itself). It's more the knowledge that I am after. So I have no problem reading through Lammle's book and labbing some, to make sure I have a decent understanding of the topics. But I'm not going to kill myself or put forth the effort to pass the CCENT exam. I've followed all of your threads and I remember you've mentioned your learning disability. I've seen the effort you put into certs, and I have no problem admitting that when it comes to the CCENT, I'm not putting forth as much effort as you have man. But I know you're going to hit it hard and not stop until you've completed your goal icon_thumright.gif
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Did some thinking before and I think I'm going to use the equipment I have at home and make a small OSPF lab, now that I got the 3750G's that I used in the VMware cluster, saved the config for later. I think I'm going to go with this design:

Hardware:

Design:

my reasoning partially, is the exam says I suck at: Operation of IP Data Networks, IP routing, and Network Device Security.

So with that being said, you'll notice in the picture of the hardware is a orange cable on the right, each one is a management connection per switch connection into the HP Procurve 2910al MDF switch, going to apply an ACL only allowing telnet into those switches but only from the 3750's downward and accessing the routers with SSH only from the Procurve and my Office PC's IP, I know sound convoluted but I got a few security questions on the exam I swear I got right but just to be sure....

As for routing, well making an extremely overkill and redundant OSPF area with layers of redundancy and I plan on intentionally breaking it with changing areas and adding encapsulation/relays.

As for the Operations of IP Data Networks, I honestly have no bloody idea how I scored so low on that one, that's like the basics, it behooves me honestly... cause it's basically telling me I don't understand the basics of a switch and a hub and their difference as-well as half/full duplex, make me go crash.gif

.... like if I didn't know IP Data Networks and IP routing, I wouldn't have been able to make a complex (well to me) core/distro/access setup: dual router vrrp core and dual L3 switch distro (redundant uplinks/trunks) with a 6 switch access layer stack by myself with a OSPF area 0 and static routes @ 150 with 10 vlans at my work last month. Maybe making that at work solo gave me a false sense of understanding, those Dell switches were easy to setup after I did all the visio designing and subnet design with VLSM.

and yes, it's getting very very very warm in my office after 6 hours of labbing, half of the lab is built....

Thoughts, suggestions?
  • Options
    NansNans Member Posts: 160
    Sorry to know, was eagerly waiting for your success post.. icon_sad.gif even i am preparing to take the test. All the best buddy.
    2016 Certification Goals: CCNP Route /COLOR][B][/B][I][B]X[/B][/I][COLOR=#008000-->Switch/COLOR]:study:[COLOR=#ff8c00-->TShoot[], CCDP []
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You said that you have Odom's books, right? I would use the CD from the CCENT book and install the Pearson practice tests. It will allow you to take the "Do I know This" questions at the beginning of each chapters, end of section tests, along with a practice test. While taking the practice test I would mark the questions you are not 100% sure on. When you are done, review the auestions you got wrong along with the questions you marked for review regardless of if you got them right or wrong. By reading the explanations you'll be able to tell whether or not your reasoning was correct.

Might also want to check for errata as well as for supplemental appendices on the CiscoPress website.
  • Options
    satishtechsatishtech Member Posts: 243
    I was so confident that you would Pass.
    You already have so many Certifications.
    762 is a high score.Maybe you need a lot
    more practice questions.
  • Options
    thomas_ wrote: »
    You said that you have Odom's books, right? I would use the CD from the CCENT book and install the Pearson practice tests. It will allow you to take the "Do I know This" questions at the beginning of each chapters, end of section tests, along with a practice test. While taking the practice test I would mark the questions you are not 100% sure on. When you are done, review the auestions you got wrong along with the questions you marked for review regardless of if you got them right or wrong. By reading the explanations you'll be able to tell whether or not your reasoning was correct.

Might also want to check for errata as well as for supplemental appendices on the CiscoPress website.

Been re-reading Odom's book. read 380 pages yesterday from 9 am till 7 pm, had day off, Last night and right now I'm re-doing my home-lab. a little bit later I'll re-do the subnetting workbook, going to do a few more of them each day leading up to the exam.

Got Boson's ExSim and and NETsim 10's, been using them. I'm not taking it till I get a high 90 on that, but I'm going ballz to the wallz every day and night until I get it, in the eyes of cisco.

satishtech wrote: »
    I was so confident that you would Pass.
    You already have so many Certifications.
    762 is a high score.Maybe you need a lot
    more practice questions.

Indeed, I thought so too. But I did rush the last 20 questions cause the clock was ticking, just need to manage my time better, so when I take the Boson exams I put 90 minutes on a stop watch and go. I'm also practicing what I write down for 10 minutes prior to the exam on a single piece of paper to mimic the dry erase board. Now that I know the exam's format, more the reason I'll be focusing on Boson to get really comfortable with the exam so I'm not shocked.

Ironically, the one thing I thought that would bog me down and it was the easiest thing ever to do and that was subnetting. Never knew those 300+ subnetting drills actually paid off.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    It's not that cut and dry honestly... So I have no problem reading through Lammle's book and labbing some, to make sure I have a decent understanding of the topics. But I'm not going to kill myself or put forth the effort to pass the CCENT exam... I've seen the effort you put into certs, and I have no problem admitting that when it comes to the CCENT, I'm not putting forth as much effort as you have man.

100% Agreed.

And at the risk of Blasphemy:
    Passing an Exam doesn't PROVE anything.
    It Only proves that you Know HOW to pass an exam.

Conversely,
    Failing an Exam doesn't PROVE anything either...
  • Options
    100% Agreed.

And at the risk of Blasphemy:
    Passing an Exam doesn't PROVE anything.
    It Only proves that you Know HOW to pass an exam.

Conversely,
    Failing an Exam doesn't PROVE anything either...

Sometimes I'd rather fail than pass, like you said passing don't always prove anything. You could still be lying to yourself.

The positive thing I like is the score shows me where I'm solid and were I'm weak, so I don't need to cover the areas I'm strong too much.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you have Lammle's book? If you are currently enrolled in WGU it's on skillport. This book seems to do a better job at explaining some things and fills in some holes left by Odom's book. It's also a much easier read in my opinion and has you labbing through most of the book. I'd say Lammle's is more like an exam cram, mainly only what you need to know, while Odom's is more like a reference book.

Good luck on your next attempt! I'll probably be taking it next week, and will let you know if Lammle or Odom's book was more beneficial.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    Do you have Lammle's book? If you are currently enrolled in WGU it's on skillport. This book seems to do a better job at explaining some things and fills in some holes left by Odom's book. It's also a much easier read in my opinion and has you labbing through most of the book. I'd say Lammle's is more like an exam cram, mainly only what you need to know, while Odom's is more like a reference book.

Good luck on your next attempt! I'll probably be taking it next week, and will let you know if Lammle or Odom's book was more beneficial.

Lammle's book fills in holes left by Odom's book? Really? I think it's actually the opposite. Odom's book is far more technical and Lammle's book is easier to read yes, but if plan to go further than CCNA you should probably get used to reading the CiscoPress books because Lammle isn't going to be there for the CCNP.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Maybe Odom's was too dry that I zoned out or it just wasn't explained very well. For instance I don't recall much info about ospf dr, bdr, abr and elections in his book.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    echo_time_catecho_time_cat Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I find that I am preferring Odom's book to Lammle's as well. I think this is just a personal thing, but I feel that Lammle jumps around from one topic to another in a rather confusing fashion, whereas Odom's seems to build logically. Reading Lammle's bok for the first time, I said to myself "thank goodness I already know decimal to binary conversion and subnetting from having done the Network +, because if I had to learn it like this I might be screwed..."

Again, I think it's just a personal preference of the teaching style.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm sorry to hear about the exam. But you are really close. I got 801 the first time I took it. Just remember the exam is not as much of memorizing facts as much as it is applying the concepts. Just keep calm the next time you go in there. I know you will pass the next time.
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear about the exam. But you are really close. I got 801 the first time I took it. Just remember the exam is not as much of memorizing facts as much as it is applying the concepts. Just keep calm the next time you go in there. I know you will pass the next time.

wow 801, I would have picked up the testing computer and say a micro tremor hit only that part of the building and it fell on the ground...
  • Options
    Did some thinking before and I think I'm going to use the equipment I have at home and make a small OSPF lab, now that I got the 3750G's that I used in the VMware cluster, saved the config for later. I think I'm going to go with this design:

Hardware:

Design:

my reasoning partially, is the exam says I suck at: Operation of IP Data Networks, IP routing, and Network Device Security.

So with that being said, you'll notice in the picture of the hardware is a orange cable on the right, each one is a management connection per switch connection into the HP Procurve 2910al MDF switch, going to apply an ACL only allowing telnet into those switches but only from the 3750's downward and accessing the routers with SSH only from the Procurve and my Office PC's IP, I know sound convoluted but I got a few security questions on the exam I swear I got right but just to be sure....

As for routing, well making an extremely overkill and redundant OSPF area with layers of redundancy and I plan on intentionally breaking it with changing areas and adding encapsulation/relays.

As for the Operations of IP Data Networks, I honestly have no bloody idea how I scored so low on that one, that's like the basics, it behooves me honestly... cause it's basically telling me I don't understand the basics of a switch and a hub and their difference as-well as half/full duplex, make me go crash.gif

.... like if I didn't know IP Data Networks and IP routing, I wouldn't have been able to make a complex (well to me) core/distro/access setup: dual router vrrp core and dual L3 switch distro (redundant uplinks/trunks) with a 6 switch access layer stack by myself with a OSPF area 0 and static routes @ 150 with 10 vlans at my work last month. Maybe making that at work solo gave me a false sense of understanding, those Dell switches were easy to setup after I did all the visio designing and subnet design with VLSM.

and yes, it's getting very very very warm in my office after 6 hours of labbing, half of the lab is built....

Thoughts, suggestions?

Whelp this lab is all finished, officially. Now to break it and add some encapsulation ppp and relays. :)

For a few minutes, seriously tried to remove the 115.40 router-ID I set to the router, but found out my core procurve only does RP v2, so no opsf love there. Ended up having to set the router-ID manually, because turning off the router or clearing the process wouldn't remove it. But now the top 1721 can ping all the way to the bottom perfectly fine.

Legion:

1.1.1.1.1 = 1721 (core-top)
    2.2.2.2 = 2600 (core-left)
    3.3.3.3 = 2600 (core-right)
    4.4.4.4 = 3570G (distro-left)
    5.5.5.5 = 3750 (distro-right)

3750G-Top-Right#
    3750G-Top-Right#telnet 172.16.10.9
    Trying 172.16.10.9 ... Open

User Access Verification

Username: trevor
    Password:
    1721-Core-R1#
    1721-Core-R1#
    1721-Core-R1#ping 172.16.10.18

Type escape sequence to abort.
    Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 172.16.10.18, timeout is 2 seconds:
    !!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 36/40/56 ms
    1721-Core-R1#ping 172.16.10.17

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 172.16.10.17, timeout is 2 seconds:
    !!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 36/40/60 ms
    1721-Core-R1#ping 172.16.10.21

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 172.16.10.21, timeout is 2 seconds:
    !!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 32/38/56 ms
    1721-Core-R1#ping 172.16.10.22

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 172.16.10.22, timeout is 2 seconds:
    !!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 28/31/32 ms
    1721-Core-R1#ping 192.168.102.1

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.102.1, timeout is 2 seconds:
    !!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 28/29/32 ms
    1721-Core-R1#ping 192.168.106.1

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.106.1, timeout is 2 seconds:
    !!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 36/40/56 ms
    1721-Core-R1#ping 192.168.108.1

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.108.1, timeout is 2 seconds:
    !!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 32/40/60 ms
    1721-Core-R1#ping 192.168.104.1

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.104.1, timeout is 2 seconds:
    !!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 28/31/32 ms
    1721-Core-R1#
    1721-Core-R1#show ru
    1721-Core-R1#show run
    Building configuration...

Current configuration : 1217 bytes
    !
    version 12.4
    service config
    service timestamps debug datetime msec
    service timestamps log datetime msec
    service password-encryption
    !
    hostname 1721-Core-R1
    !
    boot-start-marker
    boot-end-marker
    !
    enable secret 5 $1$FsF8$vG6NU4ai67Xs7vLLBuVdR/
    enable password 7 060800314D5D1A0E0A0516
    !
    no aaa new-model
    ip cef
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    username trevor privilege 15 password 7 0822455D0A16
    !
    !
    !
    interface Loopback0
    ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255
    !
    interface FastEthernet0
    no ip address
    shutdown
    speed auto
    !
    interface Serial0
    ip address 172.16.10.5 255.255.255.252
    no fair-queue
    !
    interface Serial1
    ip address 172.16.10.9 255.255.255.252
    !
    router ospf 1
    router-id 1.1.1.1
    log-adjacency-changes
    network 172.16.10.0 0.0.0.31 area 0
    network 192.168.102.0 0.0.0.255 area 0
    network 192.168.104.0 0.0.0.255 area 0
    network 192.168.106.0 0.0.0.255 area 0
    network 192.168.108.0 0.0.0.255 area 0
    !
    !
    no ip http server
    no ip http secure-server
    !
    !
    control-plane
    !
    !
    line con 0
    exec-timeout 0 0
    logging synchronous
    login local
    line aux 0
    line vty 0 4
    exec-timeout 0 0
    logging synchronous
    login local
    line vty 5 15
    exec-timeout 0 0
    logging synchronous
    login local
    !
    end

1721-Core-R1#
    1721-Core-R1#
    1721-Core-R1#show ip os
    1721-Core-R1#show ip ospf ne
    1721-Core-R1#show ip ospf neighbor

Neighbor ID Pri State Dead Time Address Interface
    2.2.2.2 0 FULL/ - 00:00:39 172.16.10.10 Serial1
    3.3.3.3 0 FULL/ - 00:00:33 172.16.10.6 Serial0

1721-Core-R1#show ip ospf dat
    1721-Core-R1#show ip ospf database

OSPF Router with ID (192.168.115.40) (Process ID 1)

Router Link States (Area 0)

Link ID ADV Router Age Seq# Checksum Link count
    2.2.2.2 2.2.2.2 136 0x8000001C 0x006C7B 5
    3.3.3.3 3.3.3.3 137 0x80000017 0x00E404 5
    4.4.4.4 4.4.4.4 333 0x80000005 0x008D4C 4
    5.5.5.5 5.5.5.5 331 0x80000007 0x002F90 4
    192.168.115.40 192.168.115.40 131 0x8000000A 0x00E4CA 4

Net Link States (Area 0)

Link ID ADV Router Age Seq# Checksum
    172.16.10.14 2.2.2.2 338 0x80000001 0x00DD6A
    172.16.10.17 5.5.5.5 332 0x80000001 0x009997
    172.16.10.22 5.5.5.5 337 0x80000001 0x00998E
    1721-Core-R1#clear ip os
    1721-Core-R1#clear ip ospf ?
    <1-65535> Process ID number
    counters OSPF counters
    process Reset OSPF process
    redistribution Clear OSPF route redistribution
    traffic Traffic related statistics

1721-Core-R1#clear ip ospf re
    1721-Core-R1#clear ip ospf redistribution ?
    <cr>

1721-Core-R1#clear ip ospf redistribution
    1721-Core-R1#clear ip ospf process
    Reset ALL OSPF processes? [no]: yes
    1721-Core-R1#
    1721-Core-R1#
    1721-Core-R1#

OSPF Router with ID (192.168.115.40) (Process ID 1)

2.2.2.2 2.2.2.2 49 0x8000001E 0x00687D 5
    3.3.3.3 3.3.3.3 53 0x80000019 0x00E006 5
    4.4.4.4 4.4.4.4 447 0x80000005 0x008D4C 4
    5.5.5.5 5.5.5.5 445 0x80000007 0x002F90 4
    192.168.115.40 192.168.115.40 44 0x8000000C 0x00E0CC 4

Net Link States (Area 0)

172.16.10.14 2.2.2.2 452 0x80000001 0x00DD6A
    172.16.10.17 5.5.5.5 446 0x80000001 0x009997
    172.16.10.22 5.5.5.5 451 0x80000001 0x00998E

2.2.2.2 0 FULL/ - 00:00:34 172.16.10.10 Serial1
    3.3.3.3 0 FULL/ - 00:00:38 172.16.10.6 Serial0
    1721-Core-R1#show ip route
    Codes: C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP
    D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area
    N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2
    E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2
    i - IS-IS, su - IS-IS summary, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2
    ia - IS-IS inter area, * - candidate default, U - per-user static route
    o - ODR, P - periodic downloaded static route

Gateway of last resort is not set

O 192.168.106.0/24 [110/66] via 172.16.10.6, 00:00:59, Serial0
    1.0.0.0/32 is subnetted, 1 subnets
    C 1.1.1.1 is directly connected, Loopback0
    O 192.168.104.0/24 [110/66] via 172.16.10.10, 00:00:59, Serial1
    O 192.168.108.0/24 [110/66] via 172.16.10.6, 00:00:59, Serial0
    172.16.0.0/30 is subnetted, 6 subnets
    O 172.16.10.20 [110/66] via 172.16.10.10, 00:00:59, Serial1
    [110/66] via 172.16.10.6, 00:00:59, Serial0
    O 172.16.10.16 [110/65] via 172.16.10.6, 00:00:59, Serial0
    C 172.16.10.4 is directly connected, Serial0
    O 172.16.10.0 [110/128] via 172.16.10.10, 00:00:59, Serial1
    [110/128] via 172.16.10.6, 00:00:59, Serial0
    O 172.16.10.12 [110/65] via 172.16.10.10, 00:00:59, Serial1
    C 172.16.10.8 is directly connected, Serial1
    O 192.168.102.0/24 [110/66] via 172.16.10.10, 00:01:11, Serial1
    1721-Core-R1#
    1721-Core-R1#
    1721-Core-R1#config t
    Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
    1721-Core-R1(config)#router os
    1721-Core-R1(config)#router ospf 1
    1721-Core-R1(config-router)#router
    1721-Core-R1(config-router)#router-id 1.1.1.1
    Reload or use "clear ip ospf process" command, for this to take effect
    1721-Core-R1(config-router)#exit
    1721-Core-R1(config)#exit
    1721-Core-R1#wr
    Building configuration...
    [OK]
    1721-Core-R1#
    1721-Core-R1#
    1721-Core-R1#clear is
    1721-Core-R1#clear ip
    1721-Core-R1#clear ip os
    1721-Core-R1#clear ip ospf pr
    1721-Core-R1#clear ip ospf process
    Reset ALL OSPF processes? [no]: yes
    1721-Core-R1#
    1721-Core-R1#
    1721-Core-R1#
    1721-Core-R1#show ip os
    1721-Core-R1#show ip ospf ne

2.2.2.2 0 FULL/ - 00:00:35 172.16.10.10 Serial1
    3.3.3.3 0 FULL/ - 00:00:39 172.16.10.6 Serial0
    1721-Core-R1#show ip ospf data

OSPF Router with ID (1.1.1.1) (Process ID 1)

1.1.1.1 1.1.1.1 24 0x80000002 0x0007B2 4
    2.2.2.2 2.2.2.2 26 0x80000020 0x005B89 5
    3.3.3.3 3.3.3.3 28 0x8000001B 0x00D312 5
    4.4.4.4 4.4.4.4 615 0x80000005 0x008D4C 4
    5.5.5.5 5.5.5.5 617 0x80000007 0x002F90 4

Net Link States (Area 0)

172.16.10.14 2.2.2.2 619 0x80000001 0x00DD6A
    172.16.10.17 5.5.5.5 617 0x80000001 0x009997
    172.16.10.22 5.5.5.5 621 0x80000001 0x00998E
    1721-Core-R1#
    1721-Core-R1#
    1721-Core-R1#show ip router
    1721-Core-R1#show ip route
    Codes: C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP
    D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area
    N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2
    E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2
    i - IS-IS, su - IS-IS summary, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2
    ia - IS-IS inter area, * - candidate default, U - per-user static route
    o - ODR, P - periodic downloaded static route

Gateway of last resort is not set

O 192.168.106.0/24 [110/66] via 172.16.10.6, 00:00:26, Serial0
    1.0.0.0/32 is subnetted, 1 subnets
    C 1.1.1.1 is directly connected, Loopback0
    O 192.168.104.0/24 [110/66] via 172.16.10.10, 00:00:26, Serial1
    O 192.168.108.0/24 [110/66] via 172.16.10.6, 00:00:26, Serial0
    172.16.0.0/30 is subnetted, 6 subnets
    O 172.16.10.20 [110/66] via 172.16.10.10, 00:00:26, Serial1
    [110/66] via 172.16.10.6, 00:00:26, Serial0
    O 172.16.10.16 [110/65] via 172.16.10.6, 00:00:26, Serial0
    C 172.16.10.4 is directly connected, Serial0
    O 172.16.10.0 [110/128] via 172.16.10.10, 00:00:26, Serial1
    [110/128] via 172.16.10.6, 00:00:26, Serial0
    O 172.16.10.12 [110/65] via 172.16.10.10, 00:00:26, Serial1
    C 172.16.10.8 is directly connected, Serial1
    O 192.168.102.0/24 [110/66] via 172.16.10.10, 00:00:28, Serial1
    1721-Core-R1#
    1721-Core-R1#
    1721-Core-R1#
    1721-Core-R1#
    1721-Core-R1#
  • Options
    _Gonzalo__Gonzalo_ Member Posts: 113
    First of all and about your exam, you´re on the right track. But do not pay too much attention to those split scores... I have had 930+ on every exam to CCNP (so wrong questions are easier to track) and none of those split scores made sense to me... For any Cisco cert, my advice is to understand it and then using the knowledge you got to make your own labs. When you know your trade, just do a lot of practice exams. One more advice: take it easy. I´m a perfectionist too, but that implies resting when needed and taking time off, so your skills are honed.

About your lab, if it´s working as intended, it´s OK. A couple of comments regarding what should be expected:

Think that redundancy exists to avoid single points of failure. R1 is a single point of failure. Also regarding redundancy, the reason that switches have 2 Gb ports is to have redundant links with the above layer i.e. access->distribution ; distribution->core

I haven´t seen all config, but as per the above and your design, you need to have more layer 2 links connecting access to distribution. That will cause L2 loops and so STP will come on stage. Also, It´s common to have high availavility protocols at distribution to give resiliency to VLAN´s gateways, so you´ll need those layer 2 connections for them.

Lastly, dynamic routing protocols are used to exchange information between routers, so it´s more interesting to have more routers. If I were you, I´d have specific advanced routing labs.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    _Gonzalo_ wrote: »
    First of all and about your exam, you´re on the right track. But do not pay too much attention to those split scores... I have had 930+ on every exam to CCNP (so wrong questions are easier to track) and none of those split scores made sense to me... For any Cisco cert, my advice is to understand it and then using the knowledge you got to make your own labs. When you know your trade, just do a lot of practice exams. One more advice: take it easy. I´m a perfectionist too, but that implies resting when needed and taking time off, so your skills are honed.

About your lab, if it´s working as intended, it´s OK. A couple of comments regarding what should be expected:

Think that redundancy exists to avoid single points of failure. R1 is a single point of failure. Also regarding redundancy, the reason that switches have 2 Gb ports is to have redundant links with the above layer i.e. access->distribution ; distribution->core

I haven´t seen all config, but as per the above and your design, you need to have more layer 2 links connecting access to distribution. That will cause L2 loops and so STP will come on stage. Also, It´s common to have high availavility protocols at distribution to give resiliency to VLAN´s gateways, so you´ll need those layer 2 connections for them.

Lastly, dynamic routing protocols are used to exchange information between routers, so it´s more interesting to have more routers. If I were you, I´d have specific advanced routing labs.

Hope this helps!

Koodos! ... I'll add redundant links this weekend. Reading Odom's book on the area's I'm weak on from the scores and I'm doing the Boson sim's. As for the 1721, it's indeed a SPOF, however this would comprise all of my switches/routers on my lab network. Someday my CCNA lab will grow larger.

After CCNA is MCSE or VCAP5; haven't decided quite yet..