Options

two days til CCENT

Comments

• Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you might be overstudying. I've been there and taking a few days off really helped. In this case I'd still spend a few minutes at subnetting.net a day to stay sharp.

Do you keep rereading the same source? Odom book? If so, I had issues understanding some of what he attempted to explain. The Lammle book helped me immensely.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Deathmage wrote: »
    What's messed up is I can make a network fine at work, in a lab, and in packet tracer but these questions I swear on the exam are just stupid hard. I'm not a quiter and won't give up but it just seems like it's going to be a super long and hard road for me. Have others failed numerous times?

I wouldn't equate the passing of the CCENT exam to your knowledge and mastery of the overall subject. You seem like me, a person who does much better with practicality than theory. I can learn about a subject, and do the subject or perform the tasks in a competent manner, but try quizzing me on some random fact that I should remember and I draw a blank. I'm sure there are random things you could ask a CCIE with 20 years of experience and they wouldn't know off the top of their head either.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    techfiend wrote: »
    I think you might be overstudying. I've been there and taking a few days off really helped. In this case I'd still spend a few minutes at subnetting.net a day to stay sharp.

Do you keep rereading the same source? Odom book? If so, I had issues understanding some of what he attempted to explain. The Lammle book helped me immensely.

I concur Odom's book was confusing to me at times. Supplemented with todd's book and Cisco Academy Flash cards this time around. As for subnetting just the workbook, reprinted it Friday at work. Doing them in an hour. Subnetting I know well, I can count in my head now so that helps.

Today is just subnetting, flashcards, well-known ports and TCP/UDP assignments for the ports, maybe IP routing/ACL's/NAT as a refresher in Todd's book and making sure I memorize up to /16.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I wouldn't equate the passing of the CCENT exam to your knowledge and mastery of the overall subject. You seem like me, a person who does much better with practicality than theory. I can learn about a subject, and do the subject or perform the tasks in a competent manner, but try quizzing me on some random fact that I should remember and I draw a blank. I'm sure there are random things you could ask a CCIE with 20 years of experience and they wouldn't know off the top of their head either.

Ya that's me in a nutshell. Case-in-point, I've read the MCSE: SI books. Could I pass the exams probably, easily nope. Do I do all the things in the study at work, yup 24/7.

It's the stupid details that would get me.
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Odom, goes way to far into the technicals, I have never been a fan of his books, I always use lammle, and CBT Nuggets <
    Do you have this series?
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    Blackout wrote: »
    Odom, goes way to far into the technicals, I have never been a fan of his books, I always use lammle, and CBT Nuggets <
    Do you have this series?

that's probably my underlying problem, I have every resource. ...too many Chiefs, not enough Indians...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Come on man, trust your gut or get it in the but. I tell that to myself before I go in the testing center and it works everytime
  • Options
    I'll give it my all tomorrow, but the one thing that doesn't phase me anymore is failure, just wished failure didn't cost $150 a pop, lol! ... I guess I'll get that 'Congratulations you passed' when I least expect it.
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    It's also like the small things that seem to get me, like 'no cdp run' is global and 'no cdp enable' is interface based. That got me on the exam I know... Other things are like for instance the defaults on 'show ip ospf interface', hello timers is 10 seconds and dead timers are 40 seconds by default. Had no clue I needed to be that granular, the Boson exams showed me that.

the CDP is a big component of t-shooting..So you gotta memorize that. If you wanna see if a switch connected to you is trunking with you AND on what port, cdp is the puppy to know. there was some rumor running around that said Boson guaranteed you'd pass or you dont have to pay. Wondering if anybody took them up on that offer. If you still have issues after next week, grab Valentine and Barker's Exam Cram and their practice test
    Good luck
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    mikeybinec wrote: »
    the CDP is a big component of t-shooting..So you gotta memorize that. If you wanna see if a switch connected to you is trunking with you AND on what port, cdp is the puppy to know. there was some rumor running around that said Boson guaranteed you'd pass or you dont have to pay. Wondering if anybody took them up on that offer. If you still have issues after next week, grab Valentine and Barker's Exam Cram and their practice test
    Good luck

Koodos for the pointer. I will give i my all tomorrow. Decide to stop studying this afternoon and go to the movies. Saw Ant Man, it was pretty good. Figured I needed to reset my brain.

Just doing subnetting tonight, gaze over the exam cram sheet on all subject matter and maybe a practice test on Boson and then pass out.

If I fail all well, if I pass well then back to ICDN2. But if I do fail, I'll just keep on going and go at it in 3 more weeks. Been looking at posts going back 3 years and I've seen that some have failed as many as 5 times before nailing it. I guess if it was easy it wouldn't be so renown for it's weight in the industry.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck Deathmage, I hope you nail it!
  • Options
    Just doing some subnetting till I can't use my hands anymore...

starting to loose feeling in my arm, pins and needles... must press on until It goes numb... my brain in numb from reviewing, time to let me hands lose feeling now!!!
  • Options
    ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I love the drive and motivation mate. Smoke that exam!!
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Rest the day before your test and keep calm during the real exam. Be quick but accurate but think it through. You are really close keep a quiet confidence when going into the exam. Don't get really amped up. I learned that the hard way when I took mine. Calm quiet and confident is the key to any certification exam success. My dad always told it to me and it hasn't done me wrong since. Good luck tomorrow!
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ^^^^^^^^^^ what he sez.. Look, the subnetting, you;ll know right off the bat. You should be able to do those puppies in 30 seconds or less..In fact, when you see a subnetting question, YOU SHOULD BE ANNOYED becuz you dont want your test time
    wasted doing a subnetting answer--that's where I'm at and I recommend all candidates be in that mind set.

G L icon_cheers.gif
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    Ya I'm only doing the exam cram sheet here and there nothing major. The amount of study I've done the past 14 days is on par with what I did after failing the VCP exam, borderline disappearing to my room and talking to no one... heck even my dog disowns me at night lately I've been so disconnected when I've studied lately...

as for subnetting, in the 10 minutes part in the beginning I'm writing out the full B and C table and some ports with UDP/TCP and AD of the routing protocols, 'no cdp run'/'no cdp enable' and then access-class for vty. ACL's: 1-99 = standard / close to destination | 100-199 = Extended / close to source and then 'All People Seem To Need Data Processing'.

If I fail, well just more icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif
  • Options
    DPN1DPN1 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    Good luck, take your time and read each question carefully.
  • Options
    Thanks all. Went to bed early slept like a log for 10 hours.

Just light review til exam, exam cram and subnetting.

Optimistic but confident. :)

T minus 6 hours and 45 minutes.
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good Luck Deathmage! Something tells me you wont need it this time but JUST IN CASE :)
  • Options
    Stevecb06Stevecb06 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck man! Hoping to see this thread updated with some good news!
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck today!
  • Options
    8 minutes and 35 seconds to write out my notes from my head. Been practicing it a few times this morning.

This is all I'm doing for study now...

Tomorrow I'm going to Burlington, VT for some R and R. :)
  • Options
    Notes all crammed into my skull and ready to ****....well some of them. :)

• Options
    v1ralv1ral Member Posts: 116 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck! I know your going to ace that exam
  • Options
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck man! Looking forward to seeing you pass!
  • Options
    HippodromeHippodrome Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just reading this thread made me nervous like i was taking the test, good luck!
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wondering if he is still taking it atm!! lol

Probably doing one of the Sims right now...
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good Luck!!!

I am working for a MSP and have many Partner certs from various vendors and I get to a point to get 100% on the exams to keep things challenging. I was asked could you looking into Cisco certs? If they buy, I will fly.

You seem to be on top of everything. I wish you the best.