Options

Macbook Air 4GB RAM

yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
My GF needs a new laptop, and we are considering a Macbook Air. However, Apple doesn't ship to my island, so we can't buy a customized one. I'm doubtful about the 4GB RAM restriction... I checked the one that was working at the shop, and the RAM usage was 3.5/4 GB.

She's going to use it just for browsing, playing music and office suite, anything else. I guess that would be enough, but I'm afraid that it may be outdated quickly, next OS X version or the one after that...

What do you think? Is it worth it to buy a Macbook Air with 4GB nowadays? (expecting 5 years of use at least)

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you aren't doing anything fancy I'm pretty certain 4GB is just fine. And I actually think Apple makes great computers that last a long time. Just not a fan of the OS. I'd get the Air and load up Windows 10 when it comes out :) Heard it actually runs pretty good on Apple computers.

I have a MacBook Pro from about 8 years ago that still runs great. The only reason I don't use it is because the stupid charger connector on those things kept breaking. Have bought like 4 or 5 of them. Pretty sure they have redesigned the chargers since then though.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Funny you bring this up, I'll be selling the one SANS is giving me as soon as it shows up. I've seen some on Ebay from new dealers with different configurations. You might find one configured how you want from a dealer on there if you can pay shipping.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    yzT wrote: »
    My GF needs a new laptop, and we are considering a Macbook Air. However, Apple doesn't ship to my island, so we can't buy a customized one. I'm doubtful about the 4GB RAM restriction... I checked the one that was working at the shop, and the RAM usage was 3.5/4 GB.

She's going to use it just for browsing, playing music and office suite, anything else. I guess that would be enough, but I'm afraid that it may be outdated quickly, next OS X version or the one after that...

What do you think? Is it worth it to buy a Macbook Air with 4GB nowadays? (expecting 5 years of use at least)

Honestly if you want to get 5 years usage out of it, even for as little as she is doing, I would go with 8GB RAM if you can find it. Even if you have to wait.
  • Options
    GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    I have a 2014 Macbook Air I5, 4gb ram I might be willing to part with. I need an I7 and at least 8gb ram for games :P
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    IMO 4GB of RAM is not enough
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice machine!

Perfect for mobile travel and coffee/cigar shop chilling. Even a solid machine to use to putz around the house or draft up documents. I agree any heavy analytics or virtualization you'll be hurting. i7 all the way

Even at 4 GB's I find the processor is the bottleneck when processing heavy formulas etc.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For his GF just using it to browse the web, play music, and use Office I'm pretty sure 4gb is more than enough. If she was doing any gaming or running a VM on there then sure, get a nice comp, but doesn't sound needed here.

How to: How much RAM do you really need? - PC & Tech Authority

I think that MacBook Air would be perfect for her. Nice and small and looks nice.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I agree on the device choice but on the one I am using right now the OS alone is using 2GB, and Chrome is using 1.3GB (because of extensions and tabs) and I am not doing any dev things, etc. That is 3.3 of the 4. That is why I would suggest 8GB if he can find it.

The 4 would definitely do the job.
    Also check to see if that model macbook air is the one with soldiered ram or not. Maybe can upgrade on own?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    8 gb is a ton of ram for a normal non IT person. Even in corporation you see users getting 4 and 6 still used. The accountant that sits next to me has a small form factor with 4 gbs of ram and i5 processor. I've had her do a stress test and the processor surprisingly enough hits the ceiling before the ram. Most office apps in larger enterprises are 32 bit and can only utilize 4 gbs of ram.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think I have 4GB in my air and it handles just about everything I want it to. I don't use it for much other than studying and surfing though.
  • Options
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    I agree on the device choice but on the one I am using right now the OS alone is using 2GB, and Chrome is using 1.3GB (because of extensions and tabs) and I am not doing any dev things, etc. That is 3.3 of the 4. That is why I would suggest 8GB if he can find it.

The 4 would definitely do the job.
    Also check to see if that model macbook air is the one with soldiered ram or not. Maybe can upgrade on own?
    We are going to buy a new one, so it's going to be the soldered version. What you mention about the RAM usage is what bothered me, there is a lot of RAM already in use without doing so much. Definitively, I'd like to have 8 GB.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Chrome on OS X is known to use a lot of ram, the thing is the newer Apple laptops the ram is permanent so if you get 4 gb and find you want more your stuck with 4gb
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah my OSX sucks up about 3.5 gig when I'm not doing much. Go with 8
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    Definitely, not going to buy the 4GB version.

I think I'll look at a cheaper Windows laptop and put on it a SSD.