In need of serious career advice.

jimbo1215jimbo1215 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
A little background. I finished college last May and have been searching for an entry level position for over a year now with no luck. Here's the thing, I have a disability, cerebral palsy to be exact. I feel like while I know my stuff, it makes me unemployable to some degree. I'm unable to drive or complete a lot of physical requirements a job would require I'm very passionate about IT as a whole but I'd like to specialize in networking. However, what I've realized is that a lot of the entry level stuff is grunt work (racking and stacking, field tech, etc.) I've actually had to turn down a number of positions due to the fact that I just wouldn't be a fit. I'm normally very positive, but this has me a bit discouraged. Any advice on what to do is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What about working at a help desk? Employers can't hold your disability against you if you can fulfill the job requirements, which you could at a remote help desk.

EDIT: I didn't even notice your CCNA. Try finding a NOC job too. Those are remote and there shouldn't be any physical requirements.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I was thinking the same thing. Then you can move up the ladder.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • jimbo1215jimbo1215 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    markulous wrote: »
    What about working at a help desk? Employers can't hold your disability against you if you can fulfill the job requirements, which you could at a remote help desk.

EDIT: I didn't even notice your CCNA. Try finding a NOC job too. Those are remote and there shouldn't be any physical requirements.

I've applied to a couple NOC jobs today as well as help desk. Although, I live in a place (Connecticut) in which remote support doesn't seem very popular. I've even considereed looking into something like ODesk or whatever it's called now. Fingers crossed nonetheless.
  • MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you thought checking out SDN at all?
  • BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Where are you located? If your around any of the Cisco Main Campuses there is a program called SAAP, its for college graduates, essentially its a training program that if successful will place you in a role at completion
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
    Blackout wrote: »
    Where are you located? If your around any of the Cisco Main Campuses there is a program called SAAP, its for college graduates, essentially its a training program that if successful will place you in a role at completion

Where can I find more info about this? I googled and found that there's a main office nearby but I don't know about a campus.
    Sorry apparently can't PM you. It ultimately depends on where you like, the three major campus's for Cisco are in Raleigh, NC (Where I am), San Jose, and Richardson, Tx. Of course Cisco has offices all over the US, I think the SAAP programs are in those Areas. I will talk with the HR manager tomorrow about them, and try to get as much info as I can.

Blackout wrote: »
    Sorry apparently can't PM you. It ultimately depends on where you like, the three major campus's for Cisco are in Raleigh, NC (Where I am), San Jose, and Richardson, Tx. Of course Cisco has offices all over the US, I think the SAAP programs are in those Areas. I will talk with the HR manager tomorrow about them, and try to get as much info as I can.

I am still trying to get that info for you, We have a couple of prior SAAP folks on our team, you don't need to live near a Cisco Campus, they will relocate you to where the program is, if your interested.

Best place to start is here, I am still waiting on clarification from the HR people about SAAP specific.

University - Cisco Systems

• Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How about doing something like Cisco Sales Associate Program, you would get to use your technical expertise but you would be involved in sales of the networking equipment.
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll definitely look into this stuff. Sorry for the late reply. As of right now, I'm toying with the idea of going for the CCNP despite my limited real world experience. I know it may hurt me but I've heard arguments for both sides. Either that, or looking toward the MCSA. I could also probably blow through the CompTIA certs if I wanted to. I really just want to keep learning as much as possible. It's killing me to stay stagnant like this.
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    jimbo1215 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll definitely look into this stuff. Sorry for the late reply. As of right now, I'm toying with the idea of going for the CCNP despite my limited real world experience. I know it may hurt me but I've heard arguments for both sides. Either that, or looking toward the MCSA. I could also probably blow through the CompTIA certs if I wanted to. I really just want to keep learning as much as possible. It's killing me to stay stagnant like this.

I know the feeling. in my case its the lack of funds to pay for these certs that have me kind of stagnant at the moment......keep pushing forward.icon_arrow.gif
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @OP - check out NTICentral | The Leaders at Placing Americans with Disabilities in Jobs - it's an organization that I have a passing familiarity. Perhaps they can help.