Options

Mac Mini PowerPC G4

ProFamousProFamous Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
So my uncle's computer crapped out recently, I told him he needed a replacement. I have a Mac Mini PowerPC G4 256mb RAM, 1.5 Ghz processor, 40 gig HD...really have no use for it. Told him I would give it to him and set it all up for 80 bucks...due to the age of this computer, do you all think this is a rip off? I mean all he needs it for is email and web games, and I played with it for bout an hour and it seems fine. Recently formatted. Just wondering if it will slow down tremendously in this 4 GB RAM+ world we have eventually.

Really into the idea of giving him a Mac OS, he clicks every pop up he sees and gets a new virus every week it seems on the computer he had. Or maybe I could put a lightweight Linux OS on it? Not sure. Don't want to rip him off.

Comments

• Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Yes it is a bit of a rip off considering you can get the same device on eBay 80GB, 1GB ram for half that.

Maybe offer to help him find a new PC (used Mac of otherwise) or build a cheap white box?
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ProFamous wrote: »
    Really into the idea of giving him a Mac OS, he clicks every pop up he sees and gets a new virus every week it seems on the computer he had.

Good thinking...since Macs can't get viruses icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The problem with your Mac is that it's no longer being supported with it's G4 CPU. It would be stuck several versions behind in operating system so not sure what security updates if any will be available.

My wife and I gave her grandfather a computer for Christmas years ago and when I would go check on it he had so many toolbars in IE he had something like a 5 inch viewing window on his monitor.....
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can pickup a Mac Mini for cheap. I would avoid giving someone a computer that isn't supported by latest OS. There are plenty of vulnerabilities that exist for the older Mac OSX versions.