Options

Newbie so bare with me

Abhishek a.k.a BlackshielAbhishek a.k.a Blackshiel Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was reading few threads, eventually it made a new query for me. What i understood was CISSP is a mid level (level 3) cert. Whereas i'm new to all this so should i go for a security+ cert first which is a level 1 cert ( read this at some thread ) and enter into some related job and prepare for CISSP along side ( which would be easier if im right? ) or straight away CISSP give it 6 months of studies.
If sec+ is the suggestion please tell me details which one to opt for its exam pattern and whether ISC2 hosts this or some else reputed. Also will this wipe a year of exp for cissp.

Comments

• Options
    analystanalyst Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you're a newbie, ISC2 will let you get the Associate designation but I question how valuable that will be to you. You'd almost certainly be better off getting the Sec+ or the GSEC which are good ground-floor certs for technical roles in Infosec.

Unless, of course, your target organization's HR is run by clowns who require you go become a CISSP Associate in which case you don't have much choice.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You're correct, CISSP is a higher level exam. If you're new to security start with Security+. This will help prepare you for the CISSP later on, and take 1 year off of the requirements.
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I stand corrected!
  • Options
    jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd go with Sec+ first since you don't have the experience required for CISSP. Also, Security+ is administered by CompTIA, not ISC2, and this certification will waive one year of experience towards CISSP.
  • Options
    jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jasiono wrote: »
    Security+ does not take off a year, it's the SSCP that does that.

Security+, get a job that gives you experience in the domains for SSCP and take the SSCP when you h ave the year requirement, keep working and make sure what you do is in the domain requirements of CISSP and you can take the CISSP in 4 years after passing the SSCP, maybe less depending on what domains your job hits from the beginning of your career.

Security+ does waive a year of experience.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Building a progressing and credible list of certifications will certainly behoove you in the long run rather than showing up with no real experience and any mid to high level certification. - b/eads
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow I was totally misinformed!
    Thanks for the clarification
  • Options
    Thanks you guys <3 , any study material for sec+ anything would be great or you can suggest an institute which is reputed. Ebook links.
    Thanks <3
  • Options
    Which one would be easier for my entrance into this field (sscp or sec+) coz its my dream to enter this field and im a total newbie.
    Moreover i'm from India, what u guys would suggest me ? Should i go for some local course?.
  • Options
    !nf0s3cure!nf0s3cure Member Posts: 161 ■■□□□□□□□□
    After hacking a few WiFi's and some other 'stuff' that you have claimed to have done, I am not sure if you are still a newbie anymore!

Being from India has no bearing on what certification to go for as IT security is border-less if you like!

What 'local' courses are available in India? Might enlightening the forum?
  • Options
    !nf0s3cure wrote: »
    After hacking a few WiFi's and some other 'stuff' that you have claimed to have done, I am not sure if you are still a newbie anymore!

Being from India has no bearing on what certification to go for as IT security is border-less if you like!

What 'local' courses are available in India? Might enlightening the forum?

Oh well, there's S.A.P (system application product). Its technical but involves your domain knowledge as well (like financial knowledge for SAP fi domain) this ain't a local course but is on a hike here these days. Everybody has been suggesting me to go for it as it suits my background and is application based,it is available for all backgrounds even programming, it has many modules in it you can choose any according to your preference/interest/background.
    And then there is MBA for everyone B.tech guys BBA guys everybody does that to complete there qualification here but if you cant crack CAT, there's no use doing MBA.
    I really hate the percentile system and the negative marking and such a large population going for it.
    Now the certification.. What if i want to entr a totally different field.
    The problem is every certification requires experience. But why will someone gimme experience if i'm not from that field/background. And i also wanted to know which certi has more money in it SAP or security.
  • Options
    Ya and i haven't heard about security courses or seen security professionals as compared to SAP, everyone here is a bloody CAT MBA or there any personal business.
  • Options
    sponge2sponge2 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Abhishek,

I read your posts and I assume that you are interested in the infosec field.

Then I am confused as you are asking which certification "has more money in it SAP or security" ?

Just having certifications will not ensure that you are paid well as work experience will be a deciding factor.

Pick a field that interests you and once you become an expert in it you will be paid well.

The problem with shortcuts is that they take too long.
  • Options
    sponge2 wrote: »
    Hi Abhishek,

I read your posts and I assume that you are interested in the infosec field.

Then I am confused as you are asking which certification "has more money in it SAP or security" ?

Just having certifications will not ensure that you are paid well as work experience will be a deciding factor.

Pick a field that interests you and once you become an expert in it you will be paid well.

The problem with shortcuts is that they take too long.

I dont care if its a shortcut or a long cut i just wanna get hired right now to some job which will do the work exp for entry level certification Like security+ or sscp and the growth would obviously gets figured out once u are among such employees or in a corporate world. Oh well im getting a help desk kinda job im gonna post the job profile in the next comment, please lemme know would this do the exp work or not.
  • Options
    Providing solutions and services in the area of Windows Server operating system and Active Directory , Unix ( AIX , Oracle Solaris , Linux etc ), Storage or Mainframe Environment.

Ø Candidate will be responsible for assigning, redirecting and resolving tickets, Provide remote resolution

Ø Front line support for Desktop, workstations, Laptop and other technologies as required. Resolve all RS Tickets or Requests to customer satisfaction and within their Service Level agreements.

Ø Working on cloud computing and virtualization technologies for servers, networks, storage and applications

Ø Monitoring services including network, server and backup monitoring thus ensuring infrastructure availability is proactively maintained using ITIL-aligned support processes , tools like netbackup, arcserve etc

Ø Methods to conduct a current-state business and technology analysis to identify high-value opportunities across enterprise and create a business case to support them thus providing a plan, architecture and actionable implementation roadmap.