Options

Stanley CC VMWare course in the UK

barberj66barberj66 Member Posts: 86 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all

Just wanted to check and see if many people from the UK had used Stanley CC for the VMware course and exam. I'm sure it's all legit but sometimes you wonder if things are too good to be true.

Have many of you completed this and took and passed the exam, did you have any issues at all with it or was it all straight forward and there were no issues?

Also how was the quality of the training and labs? Would it be comparable to sitting in a proper classroom environment provided in a UK training providor?

I'm very tempted by it but wanted to get a bit of background info first.

Cheers
Goals for 2019: ICND2 first of all then see how it goes.
CCENT Passed 28/11/18!
https://jballaboutit.blogspot.co.uk/

Comments

• Options
    rmcconachyrmcconachy Registered Users Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I live in Australia rather than the UK but I enrolled in and passed the Stanly CC "VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage" course at the start of last year. I'm quite happy learning from books much of the time so I'm not the best person to compare between online and classroom environments. With respect to the labs, there were a few small hiccups early on when I took the class but they were all straightened out pretty quickly. I got everything I expected from the course and was delighted to be able to pass VMware's `must do one of our approved courses to become VCP certified' hurdle at an affordable price (which came out of my own pocket for "cross-thread points" :)).

Wishing you all the best with Stanly CC or whatever other route you choose.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm across the water in Ireland. I completed the course but never got to take the exam but the training and voucher you purchase are legit. I also referred friends who followed through and passed the certification
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I want to do this course as well I live in the Bahamas.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    Thanks Kinet1c, were the labs sufficient enough to learn with or would you also use some of your own hardward to lab the sceanrios out?
    CCENT Passed 28/11/18!
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    barberj66 wrote: »
    Thanks Kinet1c, were the labs sufficient enough to learn with or would you also use some of your own hardward to lab the sceanrios out?

So the course doesn't actually cover everything that's on the VCP exam, regardless of whether you do it online or offline. You would probably need your own lab to cover the extra stuff and to revise the course itself.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Would it be comparable to sitting in a proper classroom environment provided in a UK training providor?

I've delivered training in a classroom, via Webex, via remote video link, and recorded self-paced material too - each has it's own pros and cons (cost, consumption, interactivity, etc...) - but the richest learning environment overall is always the classroom in my opinion.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • Options
    Strange to see another member on here from my home town icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    scott28tt wrote: »
    Strange to see another member on here from my home town

Which member Scott?

Thanks for the replies everyone, in an ideal world I'd like to go on course in a proper classroom based scenario as it gets you away for a full week where you can put 100% in to the course. The only issues I find with self study etc is all the distractions of general life, kids, wife, home etc but if I cannot get the course funded through work the Stanley course looks the next best thing!
    CCENT Passed 28/11/18!
  • Options
    someperson49someperson49 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I Have added my email to their waiting list, you can't argue with the price.
  • Options
    Which member Scott?

You!

I left Scunny when I went off to uni, still have family there so I head back a few times each year...
  • Options
    KrusaderKrusader Member Posts: 109
    From Ireland, I did the class and passed the VCP last month. The class alone will not help you pass the exam. You will need to build your own lab (I used my own PC with VMware Workstation) and do some reading or watching vids.

The labs were good to get use to the vCenter GUI in the WebClient of version 5.5 (We use 5.0 in my job).
    The videos weren't great but they are just a primer for the book that you are suppose to buy for the course.

All in all, great value for money if you have to pay for it yourself. If your company is paying I would do it in a classroom environment.
    2018 Goals
    AWS & Linux Knowledge
  • Options
    scott28tt wrote: »
    You!

I left Scunny when I went off to uni, still have family there so I head back a few times each year...

Least you managed to escape :) suppose it's not all bad although not the hub for IT jobs, I've been fortunate to stay local and have a decent career so far.

Krusader - thanks for the input ideally I'd like to take the full course but it's nice to know people have had decent experiences with Stanley. We've got 5.5 at my current place and have to force myself to use the web client. At my old job before we moved to Hyper-v we were on 5.1 and just used the vsphere client so need to get out of old habits and get used to the web client. I've got a few years experience with VMware but each place I've worked at has already had all the setup in place so would like more hands on setting up from scratch and get to know the recommended best practices.
    CCENT Passed 28/11/18!
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I looked at VMware site and do see this as authorized trainer.
    online is a college without borders!!!
    after looking at vmware's website I am confused with all their Certs avail.
    i see there is version 5 and version 6. How much longer will 5 be valid?

what cert does this class prepare you for?
    there is mention of a book. How much is book? And can we purchase alternative location.
    are the books ebooks?
    it looks like great price!!! And deal.
    but still have questions.
    thanks!!!
  • Options
    STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Currently we are offering the 5.5 version of VMware ICM. We do have students from many countries taking the course with us since we are an authorizied VMWare IT Academy, and this class satisfies the course portion of becoming VCP certified. Unfortunately, here in the US we are hindered by some states' regulations concerning distant learning. At this time, due to evolving changes in higher education regulations, SCC is unable to serve all of the students that are interested in our courses or programs. SCC will no longer be able to offer distance education online programs or courses for students residing in Alaska, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Wyoming, and Puerto Rico.
    twodogs62 wrote: »
    I looked at VMware site and do see this as authorized trainer.
    online is a college without borders!!!
    after looking at vmware's website I am confused with all their Certs avail.
    i see there is version 5 and version 6. How much longer will 5 be valid?

what cert does this class prepare you for?
    there is mention of a book. How much is book? And can we purchase alternative location.
    are the books ebooks?
    it looks like great price!!! And deal.
    but still have questions.
    thanks!!!
  • Options
    NidzNidz Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I submitted my name on the waiting list 1 week ago for the fall and i am still waiting to know the status. how can i check?
    And can you please provide with the exact date of the fall course?

thank you
  • Options
    Send me a private message here with your full name, and I'll be glad to check for you.

Nidz wrote: »
    I submitted my name on the waiting list 1 week ago for the fall and i am still waiting to know the status. how can i check?
    And can you please provide with the exact date of the fall course?

thank you
  • Options
    someperson49someperson49 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am also on the waiting list but cannot send a private message until I have a certain number of posts (10 I think).
  • Options
    so we have to keep on posting ;)
  • Options
    Thank you, i will send you the details when i am allowed to send pvt msgs.
  • Options
    You can also send me an email to check on your waitlist status at slewis8950@stanly.edu

I am also on the waiting list but cannot send a private message until I have a certain number of posts (10 I think).
  • Options
    AmadanAmadan Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi I registered for this today from Ireland. Any idea how long the wait time is?
  • Options
    Please send me a private message with your full name, and I will be glad to check for you. You can also send an email to slewis8950@stanly.edu.
    Amadan wrote: »
    Hi I registered for this today from Ireland. Any idea how long the wait time is?