Question on MSP Job

nathandrakenathandrake Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
So here's a little background on me. I've been working for the same company for 14 years. It's a large enterprise of about 20k people. I've slowly progressed from a help desk level 1 up to a Senior Desktop Technician that has been getting more involved with the virtual administration side of things over the last few months (so I'm hoping this may come with a job title change).

I was offered a level 2 technician role at an MSP where I'd make about $6k more a year. Although I'd go from having about 5 weeks of paid vacation a year to 12 days. From my research of MSPs, it seems like it's all phone/remote support. So to me, it would feel like I'm almost going back to a help desk position. The only thing that stood out to me is that I'd be administrating firewalls, which my career goal is to get into the security field. I'll be completing my WGU MSISA this term. I just don't know if adding that small "firewall administration" would really help with my goals. Plus I really don't want to end up being on the phones all day long. I got enough of that when working at the help desk. My gut instinct is to decline the offer and keep on looking for a security analyst job, but my wife is trying to push me to take it for the extra income. Any advice on anyone that has worked or works at an MSP if the job is enjoyable, or was it more miserable. Obviously, each company is going to be slightly different, so I know to keep that in mind.

Comments

• InfoTech92InfoTech92 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    At my MSP we have a Linux team, project/sysadmin team, jr. Sysadmin team, Cyber Security team, a SOC, and a NOC. So no, not every MSP is all help desk. That depends on what type of MSP you work for though.
  • nathandrakenathandrake Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    InfoTech92 wrote: »
    At my MSP we have a Linux team, project/sysadmin team, jr. Sysadmin team, Cyber Security team, a SOC, and a NOC. So no, not every MSP is all help desk. That depends on what type of MSP you work for though.

Sorry, my initial post was about the specific position that was offered to me - Level 2 Technician. It's supporting all the customers directly. I'm sure there are growth opportunities to lead to other roles after I've been there some time.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    **SNIP**
    My gut instinct is to decline the offer and keep on looking for a security analyst job, but my wife is trying to push me to take it for the extra income. Any advice on anyone that has worked or works at an MSP if the job is enjoyable, or was it more miserable. Obviously, each company is going to be slightly different, so I know to keep that in mind.

First thing first while 6k more a year would be helpful going to a job just because the money isn't always the best option. Especially if it is going to make you more miserable. If you are shooting for a security analyst I would keep going that role and keep working on certs (that is me).

As for your other question I did 4 years at a MSP. It is like any company it has its up and downs and yes you are right every one is different. My case as I moved up in the roles my time with my family became less and less and my phone was always going off and always with me. HOWEVER, I learned a ton of things I would of never learned at one single job alone which was pretty nice. They all aren't miserable but it is a totally different line of work. Corporate life you prepare, plan, impliment, etc. MSP it was more of designing / putting out fires for me.