Turn down a interview but they was messing me about

thomas130thomas130 Member Posts: 184
I had a job interview with a company where I was the only person they wanted to see and was very interested in me. The job was 10k more than what I was on and to be honest want to get out the current job I am in as I need a new challenge

However their communication was poor and kept arranging my interview dates. As apparently their manager would not agree of a time to see me.

I then E-mail me to advise I unhappy with level the communication and felt disrespect from messing me about. Anyway they apologise and rearrange the interview date and advise they would work around to suit me. At this point I was happy with them. However 24 hours later they E-mail to advise they have to cancel because their IT director as to go to head office something he is unable to get out of.

While I appreciate that things come up do you feel I right to walk away from almost a job guarantee. I just getting fed up with employers wasting my time. In my mind I just felt to many red flags was coming up with them.

Comments

• aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If they're like that before you get hired, what will they be like after you are on board?
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • thomas130thomas130 Member Posts: 184
    If they're like that before you get hired, what will they be like after you are on board?

This is what I thinking as well the current place I work for it not great and kinda lost my passion for IT even though i very qualified and capable. Just want to work somewhere where some respect is shown.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Run away!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'll be the one to say the opposite. The interviews in my company are conducted by team managers and those on the team that's hiring. We're busy at work, while we need to hire people it's difficult to schedule a time where three people from the same team can coordinate time off to go to the main office and conduct interviews. If the team manager has to go out of town for something we can't conduct the interview. I'd say 99% of the time when we schedule interviews we don't cancel them, but I can see how in a busy company that's looking to fill 1 spot it could happen.
    BlackBeret wrote: »
    I'll be the one to say the opposite. The interviews in my company are conducted by team managers and those on the team that's hiring. We're busy at work, while we need to hire people it's difficult to schedule a time where three people from the same team can coordinate time off to go to the main office and conduct interviews. If the team manager has to go out of town for something we can't conduct the interview. I'd say 99% of the time when we schedule interviews we don't cancel them, but I can see how in a busy company that's looking to fill 1 spot it could happen.

It more the fact they made a promise and then went back on their word after messing me about in the first place. I accept that things can happen.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm with BlackBeret, some companies are very busy at certain periods. We've just been through a huge audit process at work, I was pretty much blocking everyone I could to get extra time to complete tasks. If someone I was interviewing emailed me that they were unhappy with my communication and felt disrespected during the interview process I'd likely drop them from the candidate pool too.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I see the OP's point. One error/issue/omission is fine. This seems indicative of a pattern. Unless it's a position that I'm dying to get, I would rescind my application. If you really want it and think it's the right move, suck it up as them been busy/disorganized or whatever and move forward.
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    I'm with BlackBeret, some companies are very busy at certain periods. We've just been through a huge audit process at work, I was pretty much blocking everyone I could to get extra time to complete tasks. If someone I was interviewing emailed me that they were unhappy with my communication and felt disrespected during the interview process I'd likely drop them from the candidate pool too.

They didn't drop me I drop them. I have already stated I understand things can happen and was very flexible with them but there is a point where enough was enough.

Plus I sorry if you attitude is you feel that not communicating with someone is acceptable then to be frank I wouldn't want to work with someone like that. If they simply advise me after they was very busy and unable to work a interview date until later there would be no problem on my end. It was after messing me around and me keep arranging new times they made a promise and then back out again.

Employers and assume yourself since you sound like a manager aspect your staff to communicate with you and advise you of things and keep dates promises etc. While there always exceptions if someone keep breaking their word and not agree to deadlines or dates you would have a issue.

Guess what, it's a two way street.
  • InfoTech92InfoTech92 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I definitely understand OP. If they're that disorganized with a interview, how bad must the IT department be, lol.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not a manager, but I have been, and I've interviewed plenty of people in the past. I fully understand it's a two way street, but your original message wasn't entirely clear that you dropped them, it sounded like you told them you were upset with how they handle things and then they said they couldn't see you. That, in my mind anyway, means they don't want to deal with you. If they changed your interview time five times, then it's an issue, from the tone of your post it sounds like they needed to change the time, you got annoyed with them and then told them that you weren't happy about it.

My current job had some issues setting up an interview because the people involved were very busy and it was difficult to coordinate everyone so we could all meet at one time. I dealt with it, and now I have a great job in a company I wanted to get into where they respect their employees, just being hard to pin down a good time wasn't a sign of disrespect.

Anyway, it's one company, it sucks, but move along and find a better fit that works better for you, maybe it'll be more than 10K extra and be a closer commute!
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would walk away from this one. A few ducks out of the row is okay but when they look like some sort of plot graph its time to move on.
    I'm not a manager, but I have been, and I've interviewed plenty of people in the past. I fully understand it's a two way street, but your original message wasn't entirely clear that you dropped them, it sounded like you told them you were upset with how they handle things and then they said they couldn't see you. That, in my mind anyway, means they don't want to deal with you. If they changed your interview time five times, then it's an issue, from the tone of your post it sounds like they needed to change the time, you got annoyed with them and then told them that you weren't happy about it.

My current job had some issues setting up an interview because the people involved were very busy and it was difficult to coordinate everyone so we could all meet at one time. I dealt with it, and now I have a great job in a company I wanted to get into where they respect their employees, just being hard to pin down a good time wasn't a sign of disrespect.

Anyway, it's one company, it sucks, but move along and find a better fit that works better for you, maybe it'll be more than 10K extra and be a closer commute!

Yeah I plan to and no hard feelings, just a little disappointed with how it's all turn out.
  • IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah I agree with Blackberet, it is like that some times. But they are constantly rescheduling then I would avoid as it is taking time from work and your life.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm with BlackBeret, some companies are very busy at certain periods.
    Me too. I wouldn't walk away just because of scheduling conflicts. For one, it would put me into the a better bargaining position. For second, I would simple be incredibly curious about why all these conflicts come up - regardless of the pattern.
  • MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    I guess you have never worked for the Military!

LMFAO!

:D

At last you could walk away, in the Military you are stuck!
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Run away and don't look back. If they're this disorganised when trying to obtain staff, how do you think they'll treat you when you're in the door?
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
    Just to advise I did go the interview a couple of days ago to add insult to injury they try to low ball with the salary.
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    that's just wrong these companies are just cold hearted. as if we need them but they don't need us. Its an equal partnership where we both need each other to help each other excel.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    MTciscoguy wrote: »
    I guess you have never worked for the Military!

LMFAO!
    :D

At last you could walk away, in the Military you are stuck!

that's a serious thing but i know how you feel!!!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.