Background check?

jahazieljahaziel Posts: 175Member
Hey guys,
I recently interviewed and the next day they asked for certain certifications so they can run a background check. They also said they really like me but haven't got a offer letter. Does it mean I got the job or do some companies run background check even though they are not sure they want you?

Comments

  • networker050184networker050184 Posts: 11,962Mod Mod
    Background check has always come after an offer. I don't think I'd be comfortable giving all my info for that before an offer is made.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Senior Member behind youPosts: 2,590Mod Mod
    I feel the same way. Don't give out any information until an offer has been made.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Senior Member Posts: 6,597Mod Mod
    Hell no! You get nothing from me until you present an offer. What's wrong with employers these days!
  • InfoTech92InfoTech92 Posts: 75Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah man, definitely not. Unless I have an offer letter, I'm not giving anyone my social. I wouldn't go for that if I were you. Let them know that you don't feel comfortable with that.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Posts: 2,233Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    They asked for certifications to run background checks on your certifications or on you personally? If it was for your certifications I'd give them the information.
  • digitheadsdigitheads Posts: 39Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    my current employer requires you pass a drug test and a background test before any offer is given - unless you have something to hide, why not just do what they ask ? do you want the job ?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Senior Member Posts: 6,597Mod Mod
    Employers can ask whatever they want. It's up to us to put the foot down. I have ZERO to hide yer I refuse to play these games:

    - Disclosing my current compensation
    - Going to an interview without knowing the salary range or job specifics
    - Additional information before job offer (references, social security #, drug test, credit/background check, etc.)

    The "you have nothing to hide" sounds exactly like the folks who justify the NSA spying.
  • networker050184networker050184 Posts: 11,962Mod Mod
    digitheads wrote: »
    my current employer requires you pass a drug test and a background test before any offer is given - unless you have something to hide, why not just do what they ask ? do you want the job ?


    Because I'm not that liberal with my social security number. Why do they need it if they aren't extending an offer? Just doesn't make sense to me.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • jahazieljahaziel Posts: 175Member
    Thats why I'm asking because it felt a bit weird. I'm waiting to see but I would really of though a offer letter was coming in soon.
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Posts: 861Member
    I had to submit a background check before an offer was sent for my first network engineering job. Usually background checks are expensive and if the employer has asked you for one, there are good chances that they are strongly considering hiring you. If I were you, I would be expecting an offer soon. Good luck!
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Posts: 684Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    First, I'm confused. Did they want to verify your certifications, or did they request a bunch of personal information for a full background check? Asking to prove that you have certain certifications is not the same as running a background check.

    Laws vary by state and every place that I've worked outside of the military has been a hire-at-will/fire-at-will type of situation, but I believe in some places that once an employer makes an offer, it's binding. Generally the offer will be made contingent on a background check, but it would be very hard for employer to list every factor that would allow them to rescind an offer. It sounds to me like they want to hire you, they just don't want to make an offer and find out you're hiding something. Employers have been sued in to the ground for rescinding offers, wrongful termination, etc. They're probably just covering their rear.
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Posts: 393Member
    More companies are asking for drug tests and background tests.
    I am not sure, but this could and should be done BEFORE AN OFFER is official or you even start.
    Why would I offer a position to you and then have to turn around and retract offer?
    I recall getting an offer some 25 years ago for a govt contractor.
    i think that I was told offer coming, but before it was official I had to pass drug test.
    i would think that if they weren't serious about an offer coming they wouldn't do background check.
    unless this is a shady company just getting your personal information?
    howerver, if I am going to possibly offer you a position, I might want to let you know offer coming and this is what it looks like, but based upon you passing drug and background check. I wouldn't want to spend $$$ and then the $$$ wasn't good enough and you decline offer. Or wasting your time or my time doing drug test or background check.
    it is getting harder these days, since HR handles a lot on the communicating the offer. Maybe they are out of sync and someone was supposed to call you with offer and then communicate need of BG check?
  • jahazieljahaziel Posts: 175Member
    So I'm not sure if they did a full background check but instead of a offer I got a chance for a second interview with them.
  • MowMow Posts: 445Member
    Is this for a school or a position that works with kids? They maybe just want to make sure you don't have a history of abusing children before moving forward, if that's the case.
  • networker050184networker050184 Posts: 11,962Mod Mod
    twodogs62 wrote: »
    More companies are asking for drug tests and background tests.
    I am not sure, but this could and should be done BEFORE AN OFFER is official or you even start.
    Why would I offer a position to you and then have to turn around and retract offer?
    I recall getting an offer some 25 years ago for a govt contractor.
    i think that I was told offer coming, but before it was official I had to pass drug test.
    i would think that if they weren't serious about an offer coming they wouldn't do background check.
    unless this is a shady company just getting your personal information?
    howerver, if I am going to possibly offer you a position, I might want to let you know offer coming and this is what it looks like, but based upon you passing drug and background check. I wouldn't want to spend $$$ and then the $$$ wasn't good enough and you decline offer. Or wasting your time or my time doing drug test or background check.
    it is getting harder these days, since HR handles a lot on the communicating the offer. Maybe they are out of sync and someone was supposed to call you with offer and then communicate need of BG check?

    It's actually been the opposite in my experience. I haven't had to take a drug test in the last few positions I've been at. Don't think they've done much of a background check either. A few years ago it was always drug test.

    As far as a background check before an offer, why? You offer a position contingent on passing a background check. There is no reason to gather all of someones sensitive information if you haven't even decided you are offering them a job yet.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • jahazieljahaziel Posts: 175Member
    jahaziel wrote: »
    So I'm not sure if they did a full background check but instead of a offer I got a chance for a second interview with them.

    It's a accounting firm.
Sign In or Register to comment.