Options

Logical Operations CyberSec First Responder Certification

stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
Anyone ever hear of the Logical Operations CyberSec First Responder certification? If so, what did you think of it? I'm looking at it more from the perspective of what you need to know as opposed to actually sitting for the exam and expecting employers to recognize it.

Holy crap! It seems to be about $2500 if you take the course through New Horizons! Definitely wouldn't want to sit through that expensive of a course and not get an employer to recognize it! Plus, if you actually sit for the exam it will cost you $300. I think I'll just pull their exam objectives sheet and develop my skills accordingly without the course or exam.
The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me

Comments

• Options
    unkn0wnsh3llunkn0wnsh3ll Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Seems like multiple choice Q/A... first time hearing about it... If it is of Hands on lab rather than multiple choice, possibly it would generate interests...
    "Those that pass the 120+ question, multiple-choice exam, will demonstrate that they have what it takes to combat a growing cyber threat."

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I don't claim to be a guru in cert-related things but if after spending so many years on this board I haven't heard of it, there's a good chance it's either extremely niche or just plain unknown to the masses. Unless required by a particular employer, seems like there will be little, if any, ROI.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    © Copyright 2012-2015 Logical Operations, Inc. All rights reserved.

If it's been around that long and no one has heard of it.... Honestly it sounds like a copy of SANS Security 504 Course (GCIH). SANS would cost more but the certification is much more known. I've seen some smaller tech schools offer their versions of SANS course, usually labeled as a "GCIH prep course" or something similar. This may be another one.
  • Options
    mark007mark007 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yeah, heard about it, and read the modules, it seems a lot similar to ECSA, i am interested in it as well and made some inquiries. It will be a good certification to have. Just don't know why its so damn expensive. It seems all these training providers are taking advantage of the surge in demands for SAs
  • Options
    How exactly is a good certification to have? No employer is looking for this out there. The vast majority of incident response jobs requires CISSP, GIAC, or specific vendor certs. When you mention it in an interview people will most likely go "Huh? Cyber what?".

I don't question the value of the training, just the value of the cert.
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I think Logical Operations creates courseware and training materials for certification training vendors. I guess they decided to create their own certification? I'm sure it would cover what needs to be covered, but would probably be a waste of money overall.
  • Options
    While perusing LinkedIn I saw that Darril Gibson took the CSFR. He has some feedback here: Passing CyberSec First Responder Exam.
  • Options
    Logical Operations was kind enough to give me a copy of their instructor book for this exam. I have started reading it but haven't read much of it yet. I went to the CompTIA Partner Summit this past week and had an opportunity to talk to a representative about where they see the certification. Considering that there seems to be quite a bit of overlap between Security+, CSFR, and the upcoming Cybersecurity Analyst+, their answer was rather interesting. According to the rep, the certification is for those taking their next steps in InfoSec who want to understand how to respond to incidents, whereas the CSA+ is for analyzing threats and responses.

When I get a chance, I will be posting my thoughts on the book and the exam, when I take it.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

• Options
    Maybe I'll try to get work to pay for this. The class objectives look good.
  • Options
    OK, sorry this took me a while to get around to. So, I did end up attending an official Logical Operations CyberSec First Responder: Threat Detection and Response class. It was five days long, and was delivered live online by an approved training provider. The class was paid for by my employer.

I can't say I would recommend this class. It was very heavy on policy & procedure, and very light on technical instruction. Let's just say that I did not feel that the courseware and instruction aligned with the certification's title.

I wrote way more about it, but deleted it all because I felt what I wrote was too inflammatory.

I did not pursue the certification based on the class and ROI.

It does have a cool name, though.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I have a copy of the book and it does seem more policy related, though I haven't finished the book.

• Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Has anyone noticed the new ad on here, InfoSec institute...Anyone know how much this costs? I wasn't going to fill out the form to find out.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If they were smart, they would offer the training and certification for a lot less money to build up there certification user base, get there certification recognized by the DOD, then increase the price of training to $5,000 and certification for $1000, kinda like what SANS did. While $2,500 is cheaper than a SANS course, getting a certification no one recognizes is a waste of money. Your better off spending the 6 grand to get a industry recognized SANS cert in my opinion.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    zxshockaxzzxshockaxz Member Posts: 108
    TechGromit wrote: »
    If they were smart, they would offer the training and certification for a lot less money to build up there certification user base, get there certification recognized by the DOD, then increase the price of training to $5,000 and certification for $1000, kinda like what SANS did. While $2,500 is cheaper than a SANS course, getting a certification no one recognizes is a waste of money. Your better off spending the 6 grand to get a industry recognized SANS cert in my opinion.

My employer is sending me through the training as well. I'm doing a self-paced video series. The bit that I have gone through does seem to be heavy on policy/procedure. Maybe a good primer for SANS 504?
    I know this is an old post, but I wanted to comment and say that after doing some quick research, the top of their webpage says that this cert is now DoD-8570 compliant. CyberSec First Responder