Options

Subnetting Class A and B addresses

BennyTheManBennyTheMan Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
Is there anyone who can explain subnetting a class a or b address or send me in the right direction? I am studying the CCNA R & S book and don't get the examples for class A and B but understand class C.

Thanks,

-Benny

Comments

• Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,058 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is No difference.

If you can subnet for C, then you can Subnet for "A" and "B".

The only thing you need to do is identify the "Octet of Interest" :]
    (ie, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th octet)

Post one of the Examples that you are having troubles with.... and i will Walk you through it :]
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I honestly didn't encounter many class A's doesn't mean Cisco won't throw a curve-ball, I think I might have seen one but it was a high level Class A and was simple to subnet. If you can do Class B and C your fine on the subnetting part.

I basically did over 95 subnetting examples total in my Subnetting workbook by printing it out twice again and redid it a 2nd time and that was my subnetting.

I just remembered the subnetting table for Class B and C and I used that for reference, but I owe my credit to subnetting fast on the fact I did so many examples that I literally just remembered the block sizes for each CIDR value and then just counted in my head the number of the block side and then just mental subtracted the network/broadcast ID's and it gave me the range.

Never fully understood what you all meant by doing it in your head until exam day and I guess all that subnetting really paid off...

My advice to you, check out this workbook, print it out and do the whole book. Takes about probably 5 hours to do the whole thing (I did it fully twice and I was set on subnetting), it gets you thru the 1st few and then throws you to the wolves. it's just repetition honestly. Linked is a direct link to the PDF from Kirkwood University: http://www.kirkwood.edu/pdf/uploaded/569/ip_addressing_&_subnetting_workbook.pdf

Just need to do repetition myself for my weak points and I'll nab it eventually. When I do, it's going in a gold plaque like my VCP.
  • Options
    BennyTheManBennyTheMan Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks. I am good with class C and understand the idea. I just meticulously work through the Todd Lammle CCNA R & S book. I think a lot of the explanations are mediocre and I learn this in hindsight after struggling with the examples or chapter review problems.

I'll check out the pdf. I'm new to this forum and new to Networking. Up to chapter 4 in the book.

Thanks for both of your help!

-Benny
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,058 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks. I am good with class C and understand the idea. I just meticulously work through the Todd Lammle CCNA R & S book. I think a lot of the explanations are mediocre and I learn this in hindsight after struggling with the examples or chapter review problems.
    I'll check out the pdf. I'm new to this forum and new to Networking. Up to chapter 4 in the book.

Book, SH-mook.
    The Best way to learn subnetting... is to learn the Magic #.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL33E07ECCA73C0755
    (skip to video 47)

Watch the vid... Change your life :]
    you can do the pdf workbook afterwards (but you wont need to).