Second Bachelor or Master's?

ZbacoZbaco Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I received my bachelor's degree from a B&M college back in 2008, and am feeling the urge to go out and get some more education. I am looking at WGU and trying to decide between their BSIT: Security program, or their Master's ISA (security) degree.

The Master's is what I have been considering for a while now, but I took a look at the certs that the BS offers, and I have to say I am impressed. My job does not currently use any of my IT skills, but I would like to improve them anyhow. The certifications the BS provides would give me a little more marketability should I decide to change jobs in the future, but the Master's seems like the next logical step up.

Any opinions on this? Is it outside the norm to go back for a second B.S. degree before getting a Masters, or is that something people do? I am thinking I could even do both, and breeze through the B.S. just to get the certs.

Thanks!

Comments

• markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What type of Bachelor's do you have now?
  • ZbacoZbaco Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A computer science degree, emphasis on networking (as opposed to programming).
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wouldn't get another Bachelor's in that case. I don't think it would have a very good ROI. Get a master's and some more certs and your resume will be gold.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You need a few certs and a new job, not another degree. Target certs with good ROI, always work towards certs with good ROI. Get a VCP or an MCSE or CCNP, whatever interests you.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    What Essondon said +1

you need advanced certs + experience.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• aaronvanaaronvan Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Masters, definitely.
  • Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Certs, Exp, and / or Masters. Masters with no Exp won't get you anywhere. Make sure you have some practical experience. I can attest that Masters + Basic Certs can take you a VERY long and prosperous way
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With a bachelors degree in computer science (which is considered to be the "golden standard" of IT-related degrees), it would be a complete waste of time and money to pursue a second bachelors degree.

I would argue that even a masters degree would be a poor ROI, unless you are interested in teaching, or you are interested in pursuing an MBA in order to transition into senior management.

WGU tuition basically equates to $100 a week. Studying for certifications on your own time and dime would be much more cost effective, and you could truly go at your own pace without ponying up a hundred dollar bill every week. That's just a bad idea, IMO, when you already have a computer science degree.

As the others have stated, you should be focused on accruing valuable experience, climbing the career ladder, as well as obtaining certs in your free time. It's not unusual to change jobs every few years to increase salary and enable yourself to encounter new challenges and expand upon your skillset. In fact, it's usually quite necessary to do so in the IT field.

Good luck.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    Go for the Masters. Much more ROI for your time and effort over a second bachelor degree.

I also second the others. Certifications + Masters will be very beneficial to you.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would highly consider getting a Master in CS. I have a few friends who ended up doing this and even in management roles it has helped them out tremendous. It immediately gives you street cred and displays you have a higher aptitude than most.

That's not to say advance certification can't help, but they fall way short compared to a masters in computer science IMO, this is under the assumption it's within the top 100 programs or at least recognized by most fortune 500's.

If you are going to work as a consultant or MSP I could see the certifications being more of an advantage but if you go to work for a monolith like Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc your CS and M CS is going to bump you up through the ranks.

Through one of my good friends at AT&T I have been introduced to several network engineers. I found it interesting that for both AT&T and Sprint you have to have you masters to move up to a manager role. You can have the IE etc, but you are going to cap in those large companies.

JMHO Master Computer Science, assuming you can afford it and it won't put you in debt for the rest of your life.
  • xeruanxeruan Member Posts: 146 ■■■□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    JMHO Master Computer Science, assuming you can afford it and it won't put you in debt for the rest of your life.

One potential solution to this issue is the Online Master of Science in Computer Science from Georgia Tech. While it is a highly selective program, it's a very affordable MSCS degree that can be earned in 2 to 4 years (depending on your pace). While the program is called OMSCS, you receive an MSCS degree (no mention of online), and depending on how many classes you take per semester, it can cost you between ~$5800 to ~$7100 for the entirety of the degree.

To the OP, as someone with dual Bachelor degrees, unless you earned them concurrently I wouldn't mess with the second Bachelor, especially since your degree is Computer Science. While I don't have any direct experience with whether they've hurt or helped in getting a job (I haven't started applying yet), the extra time spent re-doing the lower level courses would be a waste of your time. Since you already have a BSCS, you're in a prime position to jump straight into the MSISA program.
  • XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    Master's > 2nd BS. Degrees are more for HR, and having two won't earn a higher salary.
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go for masters.
    make sure you have job in it field while getting masters.
    a masters is good for life.
    certifications come and go.

however get Certs in areas you want to specialize.
    master plus Certs show you are current and relevant.

most Certs are equivalent to one college course IMO. As far as effort.
  • GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    I suggest you go for Online Masters of Computer Science at Georgia Tech. Its about $170 per credit unit.

Alternatively, you can do CCNA, MCSA, VCP, and CISSP.

Certs have the quickest and highest ROI. A Masters would give you an edge in the future and it never expires.

BSIT Security @ WGU is a good program, however you will be going nowhere academically if you go that route.
  • goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181

BSIT Security @ WGU is a good program, however you will be going nowhere academically if you go that route.

Just curious, but what do you mean by that? Like, it can't be transferred to a doctorate program?
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    I've never been fan of the "either/or" mentality. Get you some relevant certs, Bachelors/Masters degree, and most importantly, ....some experience. (and for god sakes throw in a personality!) and you will be just fine.
    goatama wrote: »
    Just curious, but what do you mean by that? Like, it can't be transferred to a doctorate program?

If he has a bachelors in C.S., then it will benefit him very little to get another bachelors from WGU. He is better off going for a Masters. Lastly, after all that coursework, only a fraction would transfer to a masters or doctorate program. Ok i'm going back to my Starcraft game.
  • goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    If he has a bachelors in C.S., then it will benefit him very little to get another bachelors from WGU. He is better off going for a Masters. Lastly, after all that coursework, only a fraction would transfer to a masters or doctorate program. Ok i'm going back to my Starcraft game.

Oh snap, for some reason I interpreted that as the MS; I think it was because you were talking about the Master's degree in the previous paragraph. Yeah, you're right. I mean unless he did the Master's program at WGU. But then it would make more sense, like you said, to just go with the Master's to begin with since he already has a Bachelor's.
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Has anyone gone from WGU BS to Georgia Tech MS?

I'd like to gain a masters but want it to have some prestige, not saying WGU isn't but everyone knows GT.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
    techfiend wrote: »
    Has anyone gone from WGU BS to Georgia Tech MS?

I'd like to gain a masters but want it to have some prestige, not saying WGU isn't but everyone knows GT.

Sorry I personally don't know anyone from WGU who has made it into GT - OSMCS.

I do however know two people pretty well who have made it in OSMCS.
    Person #1: M.S. Electrical Engineering
    Person #2: B.S. CIS

Honestly, I applied to GT twice and was denied. They told me they want 2 years of programming experience on my transcript.
    Thanks, they ask for 3.0 GPA which wgu doesn't provide, so I wonder if that'd work out. 2 years of programming experience is good to know, I'll have to look elsewhere.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    WGU uses pass fail, so if you graduate from WGU you have a 3.0 GPA
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
    nelson8403: Interesting, have you been accepted to another uni ,that required 3.0, for your masters after a wgu bs?