Options

Server for Windows Server 2012 Labs

Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey all,

I am looking at getting a server for my rack to do some AD labs at home as I am going to college. I was looking at this particular model. Asus RS400-E8-PS2 Barebone 1U Server System at Memory Express. If anyone has any feedback or would provide a slightly cheaper model, then it's appreciated. Thanks.
Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Complete overkill, IMO. You can (and should) nest the lab in VMware Workstation, which won't require much in the way of hardware. Even an i3 would work fine. RAM is going to be the biggest requirement, I recommend no less than 16GB, which even a mini-ITX board can support. 32GB RAM is optimal. If you want things to be speedy, I recommend an SSD to run the local OS and to act as the primary storage tier. Silicon Power S60 240GB SSD can be found on Amazon for around $80 or so, so definitely not all that expensive.

This would basically entail taking a mid-grade desktop PC (even one from a few years ago), adding RAM, and adding an SSD drive. Inexpensive and gets the job done.

If you are set on purchasing or building a desktop for a virtualization lab, AMD FX processors represent the best value, IMO. 8 cores for $130, can't beat it.

I built a system a few weeks ago for nested Hyper-V and ESXi. Here are the specs if you want to take a look. Not the cheapest build I could have come up with, but this thing is super fast, stable as a rock, and should last me many years to come:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2012-general/111278-hardware-hyper-v.html
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    InfoTech92InfoTech92 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My advice is look on Craigslist instead. I found a Poweredge T410 for 200 bucks, perfect condition.
  • Options
    Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hmm......I'll have to do some pricing cause I just need something that can support 2 VMs on one 1 disk. I'm looking at a 1 socket mobo that supports Hyper V and AD DS roles. Our Workstations at the college had 2 internal SSDs that we imaged 3 OSes - Win 7, and 2 Win Server 2008 to 3 separate partitions using a FOG server. On our removable SSD, we hosted our host OS on it. If anyone wishes, I can attach the setup lab sheet from class that I took a few years ago.
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    I picked up a Dell poweredge 1850 and a 1950 for less than a hundred bucks each including shipping off ebay, they are both dual CPU models, one has 4 gig of memory and the other had 12 gig of memory, both have dual power supplies, dual NIC cards, several USB ports, DVD burners in them, I am running Windows server 2012 on both of them with no problems at all, they are 1U units, the only thing I don't like about them, they are a bit noisy and they are heavy. Forgot to mention, the 1950 has mirrored 1 TB SATA drives and the 1850 has mirrored 320 GB SCSI drives.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Another thought, I don't have link but think Microsoft has labs you can purchase a membership and use their labs. Didn't seem like it was much. Has anyone tried that route?

i think is good to get a server if you can to get some experience with physical and virtual servers.

more stuff going virtual, so that was good solution also.
  • Options
    LenniusceLenniusce Member Posts: 114 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Skip all of that and purchase a "MOAC" membership. You get a complete bopok with tasks to complete and all of the VMs you could need at your disposal.
    In Progress: CCNA:DEVNET or CISSP Done: PMP | A+ | N+ | S+ | L+ | P+ | MCSA 2016 | CCNA | CCNA:S(exp) | LPIC1(exp) | MBA IT Management | MS Information Systems
  • Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I went a little overkill a year or so ago. I bought Sunfire x4600 M2 Server. Its older, but it has 8 quad core Opterons and 32 GB of RAM. I got it for $250 on eBay. It will run anything you need. The problem is that it is very loud and very heavy. Before I got that I was using a AMD Phenom II x6 with 16 GB of RAM and a 1 TB hard drive.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I bought a Dell T5500 and works great. There are plenty of options and unless you have a separate area, I would recommend towards the desktop/workstation route to save energy, less noise, etc.
  • Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    unless you have a separate area, I would recommend towards the desktop/workstation route to save energy, less noise, etc.

I would agree with that. I have an area in my basement where I keep that big, loud server. It would not work in any other part of the house, just too darn loud.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
    bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
    My husband bought a Dell Poweredge off of Ebay for $100. It's not pretty, but it gets the job done. It sounds like a small fighter jet engine and sits on our entertainment console, making it impossible for me to hear the TV, but hey- happy spouse, happy house, right? ;)

A+ certified
    Bachelors of Science in Social Work, Augsburg College
    Working on: Network+