Backbone cabling question

SupernoughtSupernought Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm not currently taking the Cisco exams but am undertaking a Higher National Diploma in Computing. I've been using Cisco Academy software for CCNA Network Fundamentals as it covers a lot of my networking module meterial and I hope to complete the CCNA alongside my final year. Hopefully some of you folks would be kind enough to help me with my query.

I'm currently finishing an assignment where I cover networking fundamentals and have to talk about how network devices would physically connect onto a proposed network for a company with no network at all. The academy covers the standard for UTP cabling running from work areas to the patch panel (can't be over 100m etc), then how there's 2 standards set by EIA/TIA that covers cabling used between patch panels and telecommunications room equipment, then the cabling between that equipment and the termination point on the wall. It doesn't go into any detail regarding backbone cabling linking other telecommunication rooms.

How would I connect for example a 2950T switch to a 2911 router. Surely you could just run UTP cables to the router making sure that the connection between the machines and the router doesn't exceed 100m? The assingment is not specific at all about the needs of the client, which isn't the most helpful, but it only wants me to talk about how to physically connect devices.

Cheers!

Comments

• echo_time_catecho_time_cat Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Check out Cisco's website, they have a plethora or documents on how to connect their devices (such as this one for the switch in question)
    Catalyst 2950 Switch Hardware Installation Guide, August 2004 - Overview [Cisco Catalyst 2950 Series Switches] - Cisco

I'm no expert on the matter, however from what I've seen, most businesses setup their Telco rooms on a 'one per floor' basis (typically referred to as IDFs) and branch out from that point. You'd also typically have a MDF (main distribution frame) on the main floor, where a service provider would terminate their connection to the onsite demarcation point.

How you connected each IDF is up to you, and any inherent limitations of your core routers and switches. Most common would be plenum grade Cat5e or 6a cabling nowadays between each IDF, but I've seen other standards used like Fiber (as long as you have the appropriate interfaces or media converters on either end of the fiber), and coaxial cabling (can also work nicely with a media converter involved). Without knowing the needs of the client, I'd say pick the most common standard solution...probably what the instructor is looking for.

Each IDF 'should' have a patch panel that the Cat53 or 6a cabling connects to. All the ports in use on this patch panel should be labeled/tagged so that you know where the other end connects to as well. From the patch panel you can use standard Cat53 or 6a UTP cabling to connect to you routers and switches, which would typically be installed in an equipment rack.

Also, if it's called for, pick one of the EIA/TIA wiring standards and stick with it throughout. It does not matter which one.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've seen multimode fiber connecting the main switch in each floor's IDF to a router in that building's MDF/BET.
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are many other things to consider when interconnecting a network from the ground up. In regards to cabling:

-100m for copper
    -2 km for multi mode fiber
    -Anything longer than that in a campus LAN should use single mode.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • SupernoughtSupernought Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the responses guys! Sorry I'm a bit late getting back to you all.
    Check out Cisco's website, they have a plethora or documents on how to connect their devices (such as this one for the switch in question)
    Catalyst 2950 Switch Hardware Installation Guide, August 2004 - Overview [Cisco Catalyst 2950 Series Switches] - Cisco

I'm no expert on the matter, however from what I've seen, most businesses setup their Telco rooms on a 'one per floor' basis (typically referred to as IDFs) and branch out from that point. You'd also typically have a MDF (main distribution frame) on the main floor, where a service provider would terminate their connection to the onsite demarcation point.

How you connected each IDF is up to you, and any inherent limitations of your core routers and switches. Most common would be plenum grade Cat5e or 6a cabling nowadays between each IDF, but I've seen other standards used like Fiber (as long as you have the appropriate interfaces or media converters on either end of the fiber), and coaxial cabling (can also work nicely with a media converter involved). Without knowing the needs of the client, I'd say pick the most common standard solution...probably what the instructor is looking for.

Each IDF 'should' have a patch panel that the Cat53 or 6a cabling connects to. All the ports in use on this patch panel should be labeled/tagged so that you know where the other end connects to as well. From the patch panel you can use standard Cat53 or 6a UTP cabling to connect to you routers and switches, which would typically be installed in an equipment rack.

Also, if it's called for, pick one of the EIA/TIA wiring standards and stick with it throughout. It does not matter which one.

Thanks, that link will be incredibly useful for my assignment. I mentioned the ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B wiring standards with regard to making the connection between the work areas and the IDF. But interestingly the academy states that "For UTP installations, the ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B standard specifies that the total combined length of cable spanning three of the areas listed above, excluding the backbone cable, is limited to a maximum distance of 100 meters per channel". But from what your saying using UTP cabling between the IDF's is possible?
    There are many other things to consider when interconnecting a network from the ground up. In regards to cabling:

-100m for copper
    -2 km for multi mode fiber
    -Anything longer than that in a campus LAN should use single mode.

So to follow on from what echo_time_cat said above, can I connect all the switches using UTP as long as the distance between two switches doesn't exceed 100m?