Options

Hobbies for a tech guy?

2»

Comments

• Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Hiking, weight lifting, shooting, reading non tech books, sports with the kids, that's about it.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    vinnypolstonvinnypolston Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We're about the same age but probably completely different. For unplugging from the matrix (sorry couldn't resist).. I like to read non-digital books. That's the big part for me is I would actually rather read a physical book than an ebook. I'm in front of the computer average 10 hours a day and getting away from the screen is relaxing. I'm also an active podcast listener.

Find some place to donate your time to a church or non-profit organization that you believe in. My wife and I are the youth pastors at our church and I absolutely love it. I've got two daughters and love getting to play with them. Take the wife on a date.

Don't get me wrong. I also netflix binge. lol.

What are your passions? Start there. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a new hobby.

OCR!

Not Optical Character Recognition, Obstacle Course Racing.

I did my first ever 5k two weeks ago, the Spartan Sprint. Loved it so much, that I did it again 6 days later. It was more upwards of 5 miles than 5k, but whatever!

Doing another in NJ next weekend.
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    How about using the time to find yourself spiritually. Meditation, organized religion, unorganized religion etc...

Could change your life.
  • Options
    DPN1DPN1 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im a huge football fan ( im Scottish so i mean proper football) , though i do also enjoy watching NFL and i tend to play a good variety of sports mostly tennis at the moment and try to keep healthy by walking the dog.Whilst this would still be classified as looking at a screen I do play my ps4/3 (depends on what game I want to play) to relax. I just turned 21 this month , hobbies are dependent on yourself rather than what everyone else does, do what you enjoy in your work and you social life :)
  • Options
    PupilPupil Member Posts: 168
    Do MMA. Nothing relieves stress like punching/kicking an opponent in the face.
  • Options
    UkimokiaUkimokia Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What did you do in your free time during high school / college? If you're out and have a job I'd take one of those and expand on them.

In my time I like to go to conventions, camping, fishing, and just general hanging out with friends. Going to a convention this weekend.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'll throw in some of my hobbies for ideas.

- Watch a crap ton of anime (cheap and good way to relax after work)
    - videogames (can be cheap if you like oldschool emulation like the other guy in this thread but can be a big time waster, expensive if you're into current gen games)
    - mountain biking, it's just fun and can keep you in shape, great de-stresser, it's kind of in line with the types of activities I did as a kid (starts out cheap but gets expensive)
    - drive my racecar on the racetrack to pretend I'm a racecar driver (can get expensive)
    - hiking with my gf
    - running
    - gym during winter when I can't do my fun outdoorsy activities
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Writing/Recording/Mixing/Mastering music can be very enjoyable and is fairly technical (In a different kind of way). I've found that a lot of the things that make me interested in IT are comparable to the things that draw me to sound engineering. Plus it's really cool to see your progression as you get better (Remember to keep old recordings!). Also, I don't know if you know how to play an instrument, but don't let that stop you. Creating electronic music is just as fun as creating rock/pop or whatever else you may be into.

One Of My First Recordings: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27195986/song.wav
    Most Recent One: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27195986/Desktop%20Sound%20Clips/Djent%20Project%20Cover%20Final%20stereo%20render.mp3
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    The_ExpertThe_Expert Member Posts: 136
    If you want another geeky tech hobby... look into Amateur Radio. It's a lot of fun... been licensed since 2009 and regularly talk with folks around the world. The hobby has come a long way and now includes a lot of digital communications (PC + radio). Getting a basic license only costs $15 and passing a 35 question test. For more info - What is Ham Radio

Beyond that, I like to fly my Parrot AR Drone and miniature RC helicopters.

I also enjoy photography, biking, camping etc.

Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

Studying on again, off again...