cpu's & sockets

JennaJenna Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
does anyone have an easy way to memorize the cpu's & sockets? do i really need to know all of them for the test? thank you

Comments

• trick000trick000 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I didn't encounter cpu sockets in the test. When I was studying for A+, I just memorized which CPUs went into slots and which ones went into sockets, Both for AMD and intel. I also memorized the different types of slots but I didn't memorize the different socket numbers.

I don't even remember them right now. But in the real world that info can be found quickly.

edit: if you want to memorize them all, it would help if you saw them over and over again in a practice test. Maybe webmaster can make one if he hasn't already :) or you can make one for yourself.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes there are CPU and socket questions in the test pool. They are rather basic though and currently are relatively easy. A good example is something like what socket would a PII processor use
    a. Slot A
    b. Slot 1
    c. Socket 1
    d. Socket 370

Since we know that PII was a SLOT type processor and that Slot A stands for AMD then the only logical answer is Slot 1.

See the chart here

http://www.techexams.net/technotes/cpu_sockets.shtml

Remember the current exam barely touches on PIII and anything after that isn't even mentioned. I hear the new objectives come on-line in November.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    i do not believe it is necessary to learn the sizes of l1, l2 and l3 (where applicable) of cpu, and i agree with the others that it is probably only necessary to know which cpu fitted with which socket/slot.

things like celeron and piii cpu are a real grey area as intel seemed like it couldn't make up its mind what format they wanted to use for them. avoid.

okay a quick cpu question:

which socket/slot was necessary on a motherboard to allow the install of k6-2 500 cpu?

a. slot a

b. slot 1

c. super socket 7

d. socket 8
    A+ Moderator
  • lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Socket 7 - pentium, pentium mmx, amd k6, k6-2, k6-3
    Socket 8 - pentium pro
    slot 1 - pII, pIII, celeron
    socket 370 - same as above
    slot a - athlon
    socket a - athlon, athlon XP, duron
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    bellboy wrote:
    i do not believe it is necessary to learn the sizes of l1, l2 and l3 (where applicable) of cpu, and i agree with the others that it is probably only necessary to know which cpu fitted with which socket/slot.

Although in this small list:

<<

you won't find A+, I can't imagine that is the only thing they've written a question about. If you look at the exam objectives, especially the 2003 objectives, you'll notice that there's a lot more. Most important being this sentence: "Distinguish between the popular CPU chips in terms of their basic characteristics.". Meaning they could ask: What type of CPU has xx L3 cache?...
    4.1 Distinguish between the popular CPU chips in terms of their basic characteristics. Content may include the following:
    o Popular CPU chips (Intel, AMD, Cyrix)
    o Characteristics
    o Physical size
    o Voltage
    o Speeds
    o On board cache or not
    o Sockets
    o SEC (Single Edge Contact)
    4.1 Distinguish between the popular CPU chips in terms of their basic characteristics.
    Content may include the following:
    o Popular CPU chips (Pentium class compatible)
    o Voltage
    o Speeds (actual vs. advertised)
    o Cache level I, II, III
    o Sockets/slots
    o VRM(s)
    sorry, my mistake. i guess i haven't read the latest objectives close enough.
    A+ Moderator
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    If they're really feeling sneaky, they might ask you what type of processor goes into Slot 2 ;)
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
    i wouldn't term it a sneaky question, though.
    A+ Moderator