Options

how to be smart with Cert Dollars after job loss

I recently lost my job due to restructuring and haven't written any certifications in a number of years.

I had my A+ network + and MCSA a few years ago and have worked with vmware, juniper screenOS and junOS, cisco pix, veeam,vmware and dabbled in linux over the lat 15 years.

I'm certainly a stronger system admin than a network admin.

I've kept my skill set up have performed a number of ad migrations, company acquisitions, new AD builds, exchange server migrations and have worked actively in the latest versions windows server and exchange server.

I'm not really sure where to start with certs at this point

any tips ?

Comments

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd probably look at the MCSA: Server 2012 (3x exams at $150/ech) and CCNA (2x exams at $150/each). Personally, if I could only pick one I would pick CCNA, even if you aren't a network admin.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cost is obviously an issue, so I would look for something that will rip you through the HR gate keepers and get you a job aligned with your skills.

If you are stronger system admin and enjoy that type of work then an MCSA or MCSE would be my suggestions. Basically what Carl said.

However you already have an MCSA and some Comptia's I would just start applying and brush up on the skills you have and want to bring out in the interview.
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    You can always get a CCNA or update your MCSA (assuming it's MCSA Server). Personally I'd suggest to just apply to jobs. One cert that could help you a lot is a VCP, so if you want to sign up for Stanley's VMWare course or something, that could be well worth it (185$ + 70% off cert coupon). This is a long term thing though, as getting in the course takes a few months, the course itself is 8 weeks, than the time it takes you to study some more before attempting it.
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    stanley.edu I assume
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Figure out what's in demand in your area (any job search engine), get certified in said technology ASAP, then get hired leveraging your new cert.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman