Options

looking for someone's opinion

Barzan94Barzan94 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I recently passed a+ and I wanted to get my network+ and security+but my older brother is telling me to get some work experience first (by the way I have none in IT) but I'm having trouble finding a job.

Comments

• Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you cant get a job then continue with the other 2 certs while you are seeking.
  • Options
    yparkypark Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Barzan94 wrote: »
    I recently passed a+ and I wanted to get my network+ and security+but my older brother is telling me to get some work experience first (by the way I have none in IT) but I'm having trouble finding a job.

I say never stop studying for certs whether you have a job or looking for a job. Experience is more valuable than certs but you really need some qualifications to get experience. My A+ got me a computer technician job. Look for something similar to get some troubleshooting/hardware experience and keep studying for your other certs.
    2022 Goals: [PCNSE] [JNCIS-SP] [JNCIS-SEC] [JNCIS-DevOps]
  • Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ypark wrote: »
    I say never stop studying for certs whether you have a job or looking for a job. Experience is more valuable than certs but you really need some qualifications to get experience. My A+ got me a computer technician job. Look for something similar to get some troubleshooting/hardware experience and keep studying for your other certs.

I think that's it exactly. I think of it as a hobby that I'm getting paid to do professionally for others and NEVER stop learning!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Those are entry level certs and don't need work experience before acquiring those. The more advanced certs are the ones you should have some work experience before gettings. Ex. CCNP and MSCE. There are more examples, but it's too early in the morning for my brain right now.

I'd say keep going for those, especially since you don't have an IT position right now. They are good general knowledge certs to have.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, if you can afford them right now without a job, by all means continue to acquire those certs. It's not like you have a CCIE with no experience. No one is going to bat an eye seeing those certs on your resume with no experience, it's only going to help you.
  • Options
    Barzan94Barzan94 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok thanks feedback everyone I'm gonna ahead and start with net+