Options

CCNA Security/CCNP LAB

Mackie09Mackie09 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if it is safe to buy lap equipments in Ebay(US) for ccna sec/ccnp.

Also can advise what type/model should i get for the above exams?

Note: currently living in Malaysia.

Thank you!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    zachkenemerzachkenemer Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I bought quite a few things off eBay for building my first CCNP Route lab.. which is now outdated I think. It really depends on what you're looking for, but I would make sure that the listing has a copy of the show flash or show version so you can see what you're getting. The other thing to keep in mind is IOS images. You definitely want something that is IOS 15.x capable if not currently running the image you need (Unless you can get your hands on some images). I originally ordered 2621XM's that had 32MB Flash and 128MB of RAM, but I ordered upgrades of RAM and WIC cards and upgraded it myself. I actually liked doing it that way because you learn a little about swapping cards, upgrading memory, etc. If you're looking to order something "off the shelf" that is ready to start labing, you're going to spend more money. If you are willing to work on upgrading or searching around a bit.. deals can be found and you might be better off.
  • Options
    Mackie09Mackie09 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

i've heard about the virtual + actual set up. GNS3 router plus real switches.. Any thought about it?
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Every piece of Cisco equipment as well as my 2 Dell servers have been purchased off of ebay, no problems so far and it has been a couple of years.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    zachkenemerzachkenemer Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mackie09 wrote: »
    Hi,

i've heard about the virtual + actual set up. GNS3 router plus real switches.. Any thought about it?

I have heard of setups like this, but never built one myself. I would say you need a decent computer with a quad-core to run good labs in GNS3 since it is so CPU intensive. Plus you may need multiple NICs on that computer if you don't already. I bought Cisco VIRL and it lasts a year, subscription based. If you have a decent computer, you can do L3 and L2 configurations now.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have heard of setups like this, but never built one myself. I would say you need a decent computer with a quad-core to run good labs in GNS3 since it is so CPU intensive. Plus you may need multiple NICs on that computer if you don't already. I bought Cisco VIRL and it lasts a year, subscription based. If you have a decent computer, you can do L3 and L2 configurations now.

You can also use USB NICs and a USB HUB in place of Quad Nic cards. I think four 3560e's connected to GNS3 is the best way to do it. I also have VIRL and it's an even bigger resource hog than GNS3. Plus quite a few features are not supported on L2 Virl--L3 Etherchannels, SPAN/RSPAN, Private VLANS, to name a few.