Passed Security+ Today!!

CyberSec_IndyCyberSec_Indy Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello All!

I am a new member but long time lurker. Today I passed my Sec+ cert on the first attempt with the help of Darril Gibson's GCGA book and his online content. This is the 2nd CompTIA cert I have passed in the last 90 days!! I could not have done it without the knowledge I gained searching through the threads on this forum and of course Darril Gibson and Mike Myers (Net+). Both writers produced wonderful and easy to read material!!

All in all I just wanted to introduce myself, say thank you to all the experienced folks who have shared their experiences and given advice!!!

Comments

• soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the Pass(es) and welcome!

What sparked the (seemingly) sudden drive to take these certs and what's up next?
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • CyberSec_IndyCyberSec_Indy Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have been trying to complete my certs as I take the classes in college. Plus I didn't take any classes this summer semester so I had to make hay while the sun shines, lol.

I am thinking CCENT is what I will begin to work on next.
  • mattroland76mattroland76 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been trying to complete my certs as I take the classes in college. Plus I didn't take any classes this summer semester so I had to make hay while the sun shines, lol.

I am thinking CCENT is what I will begin to work on next.

Congrats! Sounds like we're on the same cert path :) What kind of simulation questions did you get on the Sec+ exam?
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the pass!!!!!!!!icon_cheers.gif getting ready to take the exam myself.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • HafssolHafssol Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! :)) I've just received Darril Gibson's book in the mail and plan on taking Security+ within the next two months.
    Certs: CCNA Cyber Ops, CCNA Routing and Switching, CFR, Sec+, Net+
  • sheikysheiky Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and wish you all d success for future exams... icon_cheers.gif
    Congrats! Sounds like we're on the same cert path :) What kind of simulation questions did you get on the Sec+ exam?

I had 7 different sim question and all were not easy!! I only had two that were semi easy, 1ST being match layered security protocols to the correct enviroment (ie cable locks for laptops, biometrics for server rooms) and the 2ND being match the "hack" to the description (ie vishing, whaling, social engineering). The other five where not anywhere near as easy, ALL included reading and understanding logs, ports and determining what type of "hack" occurred on what machine. (Mods I am a new user and I hope that I didn't give to much info in the description)

Please don't feel like you can't do it!! I have very little security experience and I passed but be aware that you WILL have to COMMIT to truly understanding the information. Just memorizing ports, hashing types, encryption types, acronyms, and the like WILL NOT be enough to pass the test. But you CAN pass cause if I did anyone that truly tries CAN!!!
    Hafssol wrote: »
    Congratulations! :)) I've just received Darril Gibson's book in the mail and plan on taking Security+ within the next two months.

Hafssol please see my advice above!
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • JameswebJamesweb Member Posts: 144
    Congrats on your pass! The test wasn't easy at all when I took it last month as well but managed to come out with an 827 thankfully. That was one hard test for sure. Good luck on CCENT, that is what I started working on right after security+ as well.
    Currently working on CCENT/CCNA and CAPM
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    Congrats! Thanks for your advice!
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • c0mptiac0mptia Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing