Options

Exam Prep & Requirements

g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
First of all, thanks to everyone for sharing their advice on what was useful in passing their exam! I have two questions.

1. Has anyone found the bootcamp trainings successful? I have looked into a few where the exam is offered on the 6th day.

2. To be endorsed you need 5 years in 2 of the 8 domains. I have over 12 years of Sys Admin experience. Currently my title has changed to a Security Analyst (less than a year). Would I have enough years of experience to be endorsed since a majority of my experience is Sys Admin related?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    In regards to point #2, while a Sys admin, did you perform tasks that can be mapped to the domains? If so, you should be good.
  • Options
    At one organization I was there 8 years and was the sole IT person. I am not sure which domains these responsibilities would fall, but these are some of the things I've done over the last 12 years.

- Server hardening
    - Patch Management
    - Hardware & Software Procurement
    - End User Training
    - AV Management
    - Email security
    - Firewalls
    - System Automation
    - IDS
    - SCCM

More recently (1 - 2 years)
    - SIEM
    - Security Awareness
    - PCI
    - Writing Policies
    - Malware Analysis

Thanks!

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    g33k3r wrote: »
    At one organization I was there 8 years and was the sole IT person. I am not sure which domains these responsibilities would fall, but these are some of the things I've done over the last 12 years.

- Server hardening
    - Patch Management
    - Hardware & Software Procurement
    - End User Training
    - AV Management
    - Email security
    - Firewalls
    - System Automation
    - IDS
    - SCCM

More recently (1 - 2 years)
    - SIEM
    - Security Awareness
    - PCI
    - Writing Policies
    - Malware Analysis

Thanks!

You should be good with that experience. Now you just have to pass the exam.
  • Options
    Thanks!

I've gone through the Cybrary Free videos and am now reading Eric Conrad's Study Guide. Thus far, the material is understandable, its just more of the quantity. Everyone says the exam is a mile wide and an inch deep so not to get too focused on the details. I can use much of the CISSP material in my day to day job so applying it will be helpful. Passing the exam is the goal but I really want to understand this material so I can apply it daily. I keep going back and forth about taking a boot camp after I've studied and am doing well on the practice exams. The idea of final prep through a boot camp with the exam on the 6th day is appealing. I did this with my CEH.

Thanks!
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    g33k3r wrote: »
    Thanks!

I've gone through the Cybrary Free videos and am now reading Eric Conrad's Study Guide. Thus far, the material is understandable, its just more of the quantity. Everyone says the exam is a mile wide and an inch deep so not to get too focused on the details. I can use much of the CISSP material in my day to day job so applying it will be helpful. Passing the exam is the goal but I really want to understand this material so I can apply it daily. I keep going back and forth about taking a boot camp after I've studied and am doing well on the practice exams. The idea of final prep through a boot camp with the exam on the 6th day is appealing. I did this with my CEH.

Thanks!

For someone with your experience and years of experience doing the boot camp is really in my opinion a waste of your money. Focus on the study materials you have now and take practice tests. However you have to be careful to answer the questions based on the best practices according to ISC2 and not on your own experience, they have some tricky questions like that. Remember cissp is more of a management type, theory type exam and not technical so you have to be careful when you see questions that seem technical.
  • Options
    That is a good point. Most of my experience has been technology focused until recently where my duties are involving more policy and compliance (PCI) which is requiring me to branch out. The study material thus far is a good match with what my employer needs currently. My main concern is that the study material I have is for the older exam (10 domains). Many people have stated the "dated" material is fine and much more desireable than the new official CBK. I think my biggest challenges will be digesting and retaining the material in a meaningful manner where it can be applied & building my confidence. What do they say about teaching old dogs??? :)