VTP is difficult!

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Note to self: when you plug in a solo 1721 router you find in your closet, erase the startup-config before adding it to your lab.....or turn on transparent mode....

Good thing Saturday I made tftp image backups to my ftp server on my NAS to get overkill practice of tftp flash saves...if I didn't I would have been cursing myself for hours. 25 minutes later lab is working again...

If I didn't make them well with a phantom VTP server just whipping my whole lab it could have been interesting. icon_razz.gif

Good thing I'm **** about backups. icon_smile.gif

Comments

• koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    VTP does suck. Per current design recommendations you should be using local vlans and never have a use for it anyway. I pity thy fools who have to deal with VTP in their networks.
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Agreed...its a technology I'd like to see assigned to posterity...along with DTP, not in favor of an interface determining its own role
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    azaghul wrote: »
    Agreed...its a technology I'd like to see assigned to posterity...along with DTP, not in favor of an interface determining its own role

Agreed on DTP too! I was on IOU L2 and switchport nonegotiate isn't even an option, what blasphemy! It should be the default.
  • NansNans Member Posts: 160
    Deathmage wrote: »
    Note to self: when you plug in a solo 1721 router you find in your closet, erase the startup-config before adding it to your lab.....or turn on transparent mode....

What i studied it is best practise to change your switch to transparent mode or change the configuration number to 0 before you introduce it into your network no wonder you had an issue and good you are well prepared and armed with backup servers :P

M still learning correct me if I am wrong.

Regards
    2016 Certification Goals: CCNP Route /COLOR][B][/B][I][B]X[/B][/I][COLOR=#008000-->Switch/COLOR]:study:[COLOR=#ff8c00-->TShoot[], CCDP []
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yes it sucks to lose configurations. But I've considered it part of learning the stuff.
  • james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Had a guy at work plug in an unused switch in a network closet at work, and just start connecting it to other switches, brought down an entire pharmacy at one of our hospitals. He learned this lesson the hard way lol. Always delete the VLAN database before plugging in a questionable switch.
  • mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have ROAS you need vtp to transmit the vlan info to all the switches. Just del vlan.dat and change the vtp to transparent and all will be fine
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    james43026 wrote: »
    Had a guy at work plug in an unused switch in a network closet at work, and just start connecting it to other switches, brought down an entire pharmacy at one of our hospitals. He learned this lesson the hard way lol. Always delete the VLAN database before plugging in a questionable switch.

Everyone has their own VTP horror story icon_smile.gif

Mine is when a collegue brought down an ISP's entire network in a mid sized city. Only the 2 core routers were accessible. Ignorance/incompetence, sure. But, in retrospect, perhaps also incompetence on the design side.

The guy was a complete tool, though.
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • verbhertzverbhertz Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikeybinec wrote: »
    If you have ROAS you need vtp to transmit the vlan info to all the switches. Just del vlan.dat and change the vtp to transparent and all will be fine

You don't need VTP to manage the VLANs. You can configure them locally in VTP transparent mode.