Options

POE In Router

dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
Just a question:

Is POE in a router used for powering the telephones connected to the router?

I presume that it is only for IP phone?

Or is POE used as a redundant power supply that replaces ac power?

I am confused.

Comments

• Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The device which attaches to the PoE ports must be PoE capable. Some come with the option of an AC adapter (i.e. VoIP phones), others don't. Other examples of PoE devices include wireless APs and IP cameras.

And no they do not provide redundant power. That's what an UPS is for. Just gotta make sure you consider one with appropriate power as a switch with PoE and no PoE devices connected compared to a switch that has most of its ports saturated with them, especially when stacking your switches, is something to take into consideration.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    digitheadsdigitheads Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    POE simply put gives you an alternate power source for your data capable devices. for example, you need to put a WAP in an obscure location, typically you need both a power outlet and a data cable. POE eliminates the need for a power outlet, however it does come with a cost. similar to how a passive video balun works, POE utilizes two of your eight wires in the cat5/5e/6/6e
    cable, so it does come with some overhead.. in todays world, POE devices come in all shapes and sizes, they have come a long way in the past few years... I need add that if you wish to use POE, your device MUST be POE capable.