Options

CCNA/Security Home Lab

Stu12Stu12 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All, I'm looking to build a home lab for CCNA since I learn better with hands-on rather than simulator. I'd like to get equipment that will work for CCNA and CCNA: Security since that will probably be next. I've looked through several posts on here, and maybe I'm not looking in the right spots, but it seems the posts are outdated? I'm looking for a quick, "here's the minimum you need, without breaking the bank" list of which routers/switches I should be looking to buy, most likely used but obviously still current. Most of my google searches return posts from 2006-2010 and not having much background in Networking other than school and beginning to read through CCNA book, I don't any real-world Cisco equipment experience. If anyone feels like helping me with this, it would be VERY much appreciated. Thanks Everyone!

Comments

• Options
    HAMPHAMP Member Posts: 163
    I just posted a comment in another thread about this, but I will just copy and paste here for you.

If you goto Certificationkits they have different startup labs and you can make changes to them and pretty much order what you want. Or if you are confused about what to buy, on thier website they go into detail of why you would need certain devices.

Must warn you, they are not the cheapest compared to you buying individual pieces of equipment yourself.

I learned a lot from reading their website. What I did was buy a small starter kit, did a couple of upgrades from them before ordering, and it was much easier to add more to the rack as you progress.

https://www.certificationkits.com/
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Certification Kits has some real nice web pages with some real good information about what to buy for a ccna home lab: https://www.certificationkits.com/lab-suggestions/cisco-lab-suggestions/
    People mostly put together a lab with 3 routers and 2 switches. For the ccna on the low end you need 3 routers that will run ios version 12.4. one will need at least two ethernet ports for doing nat/pat. one will need to have a 10/100 port for doing intervlan routing. and you will need at least 4 serial interfaces, two in one router and one in the others, for doing frame relay. A nice to have is an ISR router runing ios version 15. From there you go up in capability and price. For ccna-s you have to have an isr router that runs version 15 to use ccp. for ccna voice you need at least one 2811 or beter router and preferablly two. for ccnp you'll want them all to be isr routers. you can probably get a 2800 for $20 more than a 2600xm. So, for $60 more you can go from the bare minimum to having routers usable for any cisco cert. A good minimum is the 2950 switches, but if you can get the c/g/t model version for about the same price, they are prefered.

And, if you want to send me a private message, I can sell you a lab for a pretty good price.
  • Options
    james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You don't need the latest and greatest hardware, I would recommend cisco 2800 series routers (2811 and up if you plan to use network modules), or maybe even 2600 series routers if you don't want to spend as much on routers, and a 2600 series router with a NM-32A is cheaper than other options for a access server, 3550 / 3750 switches for layer three functionality, 2960 series switches are great layer 2 switches. But what would work best for you may be different. I didn't like the deals that the online pre-made lab kit companies were offering. Way overpriced IMO, you can find plenty of sellers on EBAY offering 1 year warranties on their refubished Cisco equipment, and you can buy it much cheaper on EBAY. As far as cables go, buy them on monoprice, you will have a hard time finding better deals on cables. For example this kit, if you bought the parts on EBAY, the routers are $20-30 shipped each, and the switches are close to the same, the miscellaneous crap that comes with it is overpriced horribly as well. Companies like certificationkits.com are just ripping off students that haven't learned enough about hardware to put together their own lab. Most people realize this later on down the line. Here is another forum post about this as well, with more people agreeing how terrible these companies are ripping people off.
  • Options
    HAMPHAMP Member Posts: 163
    For access server, look on ebay for 'digi cm'.
  • Options
    Mackie09Mackie09 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've heard about the virtual plus actual lab type.. GNS3 router plus real cisco switches.. any thought about it?
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    I use all three when I am working on things, I have a physical lab, use packet tracers as well as GNS3, they all do different things in different situations, so it is prudent to use them all.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mackie09 wrote: »
    I've heard about the virtual plus actual lab type.. GNS3 router plus real cisco switches.. any thought about it?

A lot of people use this setup for INE's CCIE lab prep. 4x 3750s connected to GNS3. There are tons of youtube videos you can see as examples.
  • Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Highly recommend user "clarson" who posted above if you decide to purchase equipment, my lab from him arrived on Friday. You won't find a better price for the quality equipment you get ..he also gives you extremely detailed instructions on how to get your lab up and running. Top notch.
  • Options
    Awesome, Big thanks to everyone who responded. This is exactly what I was looking for. You Guys/Gals Rock!
  • Options
    Clarson- I was looking to send a PM regarding equipment, but I think I read Junior Members do not have access to that. Is there another way to get in touch?
  • Options
    digitheadsdigitheads Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mine is pretty simple, older equipment but it does the job - I have 3 Cisco 2811 Routers, and 3 Cisco 3550 48 port switches. I purchased everything on e-bay at bargain basement prices... it averaged about $40 to $50 per device...
  • Options
    stu, send you an email with contact information
  • Options
    COBOL_DOS_ERACOBOL_DOS_ERA Member Posts: 205 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Clarson- I was looking to send a PM regarding equipment, but I think I read Junior Members do not have access to that. Is there another way to get in touch?
    CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, PMP, PMI-ACP, SEC+, ITIL V3, A-CSM. And Many More.
  • Options
    Promethuschow,

are you able to view my profile?