Options

Partitions, volumes, logical drives, etc etc

bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
For whatever reason I cannot wrap my head around partitions, volumes, logical drives, and all that. Having a hard time with this exam objective.

HELP!

A+ certified
Bachelors of Science in Social Work, Augsburg College
Working on: Network+

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Maybe the concept of a hard drive as a building might help. So, let's consider the hard drive being a building. A partition would be the equivalent of walls creating separate spaces. You can only have four rooms (primary partitions) in the building (drive). If you need more rooms, you would take one of the rooms (partition) and sub-divide the space using cubicles (logical drives). Volumes are simply the space that has a single file system on it (NTFS, FAT, HFS+, EXT4, etc.) So, a single building with no rooms added would be a single volume. If I placed the four rooms (partitions), I could have four volumes. Each logical drive could also be a volume.

Hopefully, this helped you out a bit.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    That is great, thanks!

A+ certified
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also a logical drive is something that is not does not reside physically inside the computer, no hardware drive. Instead it is created by taking space from a physical drive, partitioning the physical drive to two or th three logical volumes.
  • Options
    But it functions as IF it were a physical drive, correct?

A+ certified
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    But it functions as IF it were a physical drive, correct?
    Yes, that is correct. You can test this yourself also, for example when you buy an HP or Dell PC. If you open the case you will see that there exists in many cases only 1 drive but if you look under your computer properties you see that there are 2 drives, C and D or whatever they have named them. Those drives can be said to exist logically.