Options

Windows 8.1 can ping DC\DNS but nothing else

techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
I woke up today to find my main desktop can't connect to the internet and have been troubleshooting it for hours since. What happens is I can ping the dc and dns server but I can't ping anything else. The network works fine for all other hosts. The main desktop is connected to a linksys router/switch (default gateway) and the dc is connected to an unmanaged switch that connects to the router.

What I don't get is why I can ping the dc but nothing else, not even the default gateway which is a direct connection. It's definitely a software issue as I loaded up a live windows 8.1 on the desktop and had internet and could ping everyone. Now that I've narrowed it down to windows; hosts file is empty, panda detected no viruses, malware bytes didn't detect anything. Any ideas what it could be?
2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)

Comments

• Options
    GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    are you running two dhcp servers/services across the same switch?
    one from the home router and another on the dc? you should only have one dhcp service going... verify the gateway, subnet settings match your other clients.

other then that we need more info like your ip settings, etc. :P
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    try resetting your winsock.

1. go to a elevated command prompt.
    2. type the following commands:
    a. netsh winsock reset
    b. netsh int ipv4 reset
    3. type 'ipconfig /flushdns' and then do a 'ipconfig /registerdns'
    4. do a 'ipconfig /all' and verify you have a default-gateway, if you don't add one.
    5. lastly, turn off the windows firewall if all else fails.
    6. reboot your PC once the above are done.

See if that helps.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I reformatted to fix it. There's only one dhcp server, the dc, the mac is reserved and always pulled the same ip. I tried setting a different static ip to no avail. It's a 192.168.1.0/24 network, all ips are in the network, default gateway and dns servers are correct. I tried resetting ipv4 including the registry permission workaround and flushed dns, never tried winsock reset or disabling firewall.

It's as if the desktop was on an island the dc could somehow communicate with. It would have made a bit more sense if nothing could communicate with it. Very strange.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)