Options

Vendor Specific Vs. Non-Vendor Specific

PsychoData91PsychoData91 Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,

I've been a bit lax in studying for my certs lately. Next one I'm settling into is my wireless networking cert and I was thinking.... I hace INCD1 done and I can either I self-taught myself about a lot of what wireless works before college, and then I learned a pretty good bit about the electronics of how Wifi works in my computer Engineering degree. In my networking technology degree I had a class solely on wireless and between those three aspects and my year of work experience I feel pretty good in general.

Aside from memorizing some things which aren't always useful in day-to-day operations like channel widths and some other stuff, I think I could finish either pretty quickly. My main concern is whether I should stick with Cisco or go CWNA.

Comments

• Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When I prepared for and took the CCNA: Wireless exam a few years ago, I came to the conclusion that it was one of the most worthless certifications ever. The bulk of it covers ground on Cisco AP management systems and other Cisco product configuration. You'd expect to see Cisco-centric material, but I hardly learned anything about 802.11, physical spectrums, etc.. Reading through the Cisco Press book for it vs. glancing through the CWNA book was quite a difference from what I could tell.

If I saw CWNA vs. CCNA: Wireless on a resume, I know which one I'd respect more.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Well this chalks 'CCNA: Wireless' off my list then. icon_razz.gif
  • Options
    PsychoData91PsychoData91 Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I'm thinking I'm leaning towards the CWNA variety. Plus, there's the fact the CWNA is alot cheaper (and the cost I wrote should be already factoring in my ICND1)

I'm just worried it won't be as well recognized. If my wireless class hadn't used the official CWNA book, I'm not sure I would have heard of it yet...but it is easily findable by Google if someone didn't know it