Options

Internal Debate

rebelutionrebelution Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
So everyone, I've been having an internal debate with myself and have decided to reach out and see what the masses think.

I recently passed the CISSP test and am awaiting endorsement. My CCNA expires in October. I had planned on recertifying my CCNA before I accepted my new job and was forced to take CISSP, so that threw me off track.

Now that I have CISSP (pending endorsement), is there really any good reason to renew my CCNA? Or should I just keep focusing on these "management" level certs at this point?

Just looking for some opinions or personal experiences that can hopefully push me one way or the other.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Why not get CCNA sec or something else that renews it but gives you more knowledge?
    meh
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you feel having CCNA would help you get future positions or will hold value for what you do and plan to do?

Without know what you do or what you plan on doing it is impossible to answer that imo.
  • Options
    successrealmsuccessrealm Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I concur with kurosaki00 about perhaps renewing with the CCNA Sec. Two birds, one stone?

Also, do you have a degree? Perhaps pursue a Master's if you're thinking more along the lines of Mgmt.
  • Options
    rebelutionrebelution Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCNA Security is an option that I had thought about as my current role is a Firewall/VPN engineer. The thing I'm seeing in my position though is that it is not so much technical anymore and is very much more geared towards the management level being that I don't work in an operations environment, but rather a planning/engineering environment now.

I do have a BA, and have thought about a Masters, just not seriously enough yet to gather any info on it.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    If you wanna continue doing routing and switching then renew CCNA and shoot for CCNP...if you want a career in InfoSec then I see no reason why you'd wanna renew CCNA, you know the concepts already so renewing the cert is of little value. Do more hands-on work instead to refresh the concepts
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com