Options

IT Unemployment rate in Minnesota is...

Less than .5%.

I learned this from my recruiter the other day. What a great time for a career change!

As proof of this, my husband started looking for a new job on June 21st and already starts his new gig (with a $20k pay raise) on Monday. I decided to go into IT in March and I start my first Help Desk job on Monday.

So, wow.

A+ certified
Bachelors of Science in Social Work, Augsburg College
Working on: Network+

Comments

• Options
    digitheadsdigitheads Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't know, it gets awfully cold up there in the winter. you should visit there for about a week or so and see what you think of the area first.
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Honestly if I could convince my wife to move to Minnesota I would already be back there. Regardless of the Cold Minnesota is an absolutely beautiful state. The Fishing is second to none, and I could get season Tickets to the Vikings. But My wife refuses to live in a cold state icon_sad.gif
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
    OH gosh, the cold isn't THAT bad. You just layer! Besides, there is A LOT of fun things to do in the winter here- skating, skiing, ice fishing, etc. Yes, it can be brutal on some days. But our other seasons more than make up for it. :D

I am fortunate that my family owns a cabin, so I get to spend my summers on the lake. I am a lucky gal!

A+ certified
  • Options
    My Entire family is there, my grandfather before he passed away had an amazing Cabin in Spooner, Wi. I really miss Minnesota, but I also love where I live now.

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Go for it!! icon_cheers.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    I already live here! Right downtown- same street as the Vikings Stadium! :)

A+ certified
  • Options
    I already live here! Right downtown- same street as the Vikings Stadium! :)

I hate you so much right now haha

• Options
    Blackout wrote: »
    I hate you so much right now haha

Haha! You are going to hate me even more when I tell you that I don't even like football... ;)

The awesome thing is is that with the brand new stadium our neighborhood is about to get AWESOME. I want to rent out my apartment/underground parking space when the super bowl is in town. Pretty sure I could pay off my car with the amount we could get. It's going to be CHAOS.

A+ certified
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats bloodshotbetty wish you your husband all the best.......let us know how the new job is going .icon_cheers.gif
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I live in the Midwest as well. I just don't care that my 8:00am shadow freezes up when I walk form my car to the building.

...According to the U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics, its around 3.7%.
    https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=unemployment+rate+in+minnesota

I would say it may be higher according to U6 ratings but I think low unemployment rate has a lot to deal with the governor who brought the state to what it is today.
  • Options
    Haha! You are going to hate me even more when I tell you that I don't even like football... ;)

The awesome thing is is that with the brand new stadium our neighborhood is about to get AWESOME. I want to rent out my apartment/underground parking space when the super bowl is in town. Pretty sure I could pay off my car with the amount we could get. It's going to be CHAOS.

You have no idea of the treasure that is right next to you! Go to a game it may change your mind about football!

• Options
    Dayton, wooo! Unemployment all around is 3.7%, but much lower for IT. Definitely more jobs than candidates.

And yes, somedays my nostrils freeze together. So that's not fun.

A+ certified
  • Options
    Note: My A+ exam is in 2 hours and I am doing this instead of studying. I'm about as focused as a goldfish.

A+ certified
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, I agree, I don't think it is difficult to find a job here at all. Quit my last job a couple years back and had 4 job offers (full-time actual offers) within less than 2 months.

With that being said, I hate the winter. Its just so long! lol If I get my wife to move somewhere warm we would be gone! Blackout, wanna do a wife swap? icon_wink.gif

There is the Vikings though... I do love them and can't wait for that new stadium to open!
  • Options

There is the Vikings though... I do love them and can't wait for that new stadium to open!

Have you seen the progress? I love driving past it every morning- it is going up so fast!

A+ certified
  • Options
    Have you seen the progress? I love driving past it every morning- it is going up so fast!

Oh yea! Did a peddle pub a couple weeks back and went right by it. It is crazy!
  • Options
    OMG PEDDLE PUBS. The bane of my existence. It's ok, I won't judge. ;) ok, maybe a little...

A+ certified
  • Options
    OMG PEDDLE PUBS. The bane of my existence. It's ok, I won't judge. ;) ok, maybe a little...

LOL!! It was my second one I've ever been on. Honestly... I'm not a huge fan. I swear that thing was broken or something too. It was tough workout! It'll be awhile before I ever go on another after that.

It was me and bunch of my buddies, all guys in upper 20s and lower 30s, and there was another peddle pub catching up to us. Think they passed us while we stayed at a bar for a little while. Full of 50+ ladies and gents. It sucked lol
  • Options
    ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    Blackout wrote: »
    My Entire family is there, my grandfather before he passed away had an amazing Cabin in Spooner, Wi. I really miss Minnesota, but I also love where I live now.

Not to take this thread completely off topic, but if you don't mind me asking what part of North Carolina do you live in? I am looking at relocating there in the next few years, I have had as much of the Alabama heat as I can stand. I was looking for towards the Asheville/Western NC areas.
  • Options
    I am in Raleigh, NC. Probably the best City I have lived in Since Minneapolis. Cost of Living is Dirty Cheap, and there is a massive IT job market here.

• Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm finding it tough to move on from an smb sys admin in the cities. I'd really like to get my feet wet in cisco but recruiters think I should be on tier 1 help desk.

State unemployment is low mainly because our second season is brutal this year. Detours everywhere near me. 35W currently has 36 and 35E detoured so they decided to start construction on it as well. Unfortunately none of the projects I know of are adding lanes. There's still too many 1 lane freeway to freeway exits.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    techfiend wrote: »
    State unemployment is low mainly because our second season is brutal this year. Detours everywhere near me. 35W currently has 36 and 35E detoured so they decided to start construction on it as well. Unfortunately none of the projects I know of are adding lanes. There's still too many 1 lane freeway to freeway exits.

Yea, they keep working on **** but it never seems to make a big dent... MnDOT will hopefully figure it out someday! I don't understand why don't add lanes in a lot of places, it seems it would solve a lot of problems. Assuming there has to be some underlying reason I don't know though.
  • Options
    mengyonemengyone Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah just moved minneapolis the beginning of this year. Road construction is terrible haha
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This year is the busiest construction I've seen on highways/freeways. Downtown seems below average. Guess that's what we get for a short winter, I'll take it!
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    verbhertzverbhertz Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The construction on 35E has been awful. Glad to hear the jobs are out there, in case the need to jump ship arises.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    verbhertz wrote: »
    The construction on 35E has been awful. Glad to hear the jobs are out there, in case the need to jump ship arises.

Now now now. The recruiter didn't say there was jobs available.
    The recruiter said the unemployment rate is less than .5%
  • Options
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    Now now now. The recruiter didn't say there was jobs available.
    The recruiter said the unemployment rate is less than .5%

Lol, there are a lot of IT jobs available. I feel there are a lot more Helpdesk, System Admin, and Security openings than Networking in Minneapolis right now though.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Enough about construction. How'd the test go?
  • Options
    CloudKill9CloudKill9 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great to see this area being mentioned. I see a lot of development and security in the area. As for Networking, there isn't too many out there. Btw, I'm hiring for a mid-level network engineer if anyone is interested. :D
  • Options
    Passed my test!

A+ certified