CISSP journey

OM602OM602 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
First of all I like to thank all the posters on this forum, there's so much good information here.

Started out in infosec just over a year ago after a stint in the navy and doing Networking / System implementations for 10+ years. (like so many I guess)
I have always loved pursuing certs, because they force you to learn new things, and give your career a boost at the same time.
Had the opportunity of doing a SANS training(GCFE, ended up paying for it by myself because of a job change) earlier this year and also did CEH in my own time.
I'm from one of those confusing little European countries, and I had never heard of the Comptia certs, so I saw no point in doing Security+(it seems like CISSP light anyway)

The CISSP-credential has been criticized around the web, but I believe it provides a solid foundation. Just like CEH won't make you a penetration tester, and GCFE/GCFA won't make you a Forensic expert, it probably won't make you a full
blown Security officer.
There's no substitute for experience. I'm not doing it for the paper, as I just landed a new job in DFIR. (despite almost zero experience in RE...reading PMA now)
I actually like the "on the side" knowledge like stuff about Fire Extinguishers etc, might come in handy one day.

Materials I use to prepare

- Shon Harris AIO + MP3(listened to all of those but telecommunications, outdated and I believe that do be my strong point anyway
- Cybrary Kelly Handerhan's vids(excellent)
- I bought the new revised official CBK but as non-native English speaker it seems like "legalese" to me, very hard to read(I saw similar comments on Amazon)
- Eric Conrad Study Guide
- CCCure practice questions
- MH practice questions

Any feedback on preparation materials is much appreciated. Exam is booked august 7
The world chico, and everything in it

Comments

• kukkukukku Member Posts: 130 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All the best with your preparation. The preparation materials seems to be good enough.
  • OM602OM602 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Update: Passed 18-08-05!(or 2015-08-18 for US icon_razz.gif )
    Steps to accomplish after passing CISSP

1. Inform GF
    2. Inform TE!

First of all huge thanks to all the contributors here(special thanks to nk_vn), I've been lurking for a couple of months before I started posting.
    All the "CISSP passed" threads really helped alot.

The exam experience was a very positive one, not just because I passed. The quality of the questions was good, no confusing wording(apart from a single question)
    Happy to see there were only few detailed questions like "what is the block size of encryption method X". That's just useless info to memorize.
    I flagged about 75 questions, as so often with multiple choice, it seemed there were 2 good answers. I put on my ISC hat and answered those. There were about 50 "gimmes".

I seem to be unable to edit my opening post, but in addition to the materials mentioned I listened to Keith Parkers CBT nuggets, used cisspexampractice.com and transcender.
    I preferred ccure over transcender and cisspexampractice as it offers a study mode. Paid for all the materials by myself, the journey alone was worth it, and the certificate is a nice bonus.
    For starters I learned some English terms I was unfamiliar with.
    Total study time was approx 2 months, with last 2 weeks more intense, and last 4 days full on(from 8-20H). I got a month in between jobs so that was a great opportunity to get this done.

Next up the endorsement process and after that OSCP I think.

Good luck to all potential CISSP's, and let me know if you have any questions!
  • Sam_aquaSam_aqua Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great, congratulations on the pass.

I have planned to take the exam in first week of October. Curious about Shon Harris MP3 as you mentioned - it's outdated, you mean not worth at all ?

I think CISSP CBT Nuggets by Keith is also based on CISSP 2012 CIB ... did you find these videos of any use from exam's perspective?

I have gone through Cibrary - Kelly's video already, found them good but at a higher level as it does not cover some essential stuff..

The new ISC2 book has so much redundant material, I lost the focus after 6th domain and is now going through mp3 and videos.. will do the last 2 domains in the 1st week of Sep.

I plan to revisit latest ISC2 book anyway to have a final quick glance in 2nd week of Sep, however later on would mainly stick onto doing practice questions in study mode from cccure and other resources and then revise Shon Harris Summary, 11th hour and finally Cybrary videos again..

Any suggestions w.r.t above would be of great help.

Cheers
    Sam :)
  • jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • justjenjustjen Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • shillamusshillamus Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Where can one take a CISSP Test? I am looking for testing near Washington DC/Baltimore.

Congrats on the pass OM602.
  • nk_vnnk_vn Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations one more time! Enjoy!
  • nk_vnnk_vn Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    shillamus wrote: »
    Where can one take a CISSP Test? I am looking for testing near Washington DC/Baltimore.

Congrats on the pass OM602.

Just go on Pearson Vue website, click on "Find a test center" and check for your area.
  • aphayakaphayak Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • melvinfzmelvinfz Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @Sam_Aqua

Sorry, my wording was a bit misleading regarding Shon Harris' MP3's, let me rephrase that.
    They are generally very good, but anything technology related(like the telecommunications domain) is a bit out of date. BCP/Risk Management and Physical security are still really useful.

I actually learned some stuff from the Keith Barker vids(I never watched them...just listened to them in the car. I do a lot of travelling)
    As far as your study sources go, is it correct that you are not using Conrad's study guide(I see just the 11th hour listed)
    I found that book far easier to read than both the latest ISC2 book and Shon Harris' book.

Anyway good luck, you should have plenty of time :)
  • kukkukukku Member Posts: 130 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sent endorsement sep 2, received confirmation sep 16 :)
    A relief for me and also good to know for those who are still waiting, that the turnaround time is only 2 weeks now. (saw the same from another poster yesterday

Oh yeah one more question, not sure to put CISSP in Linkedin title or not? Looks a bit pretentious
  • Sam_aquaSam_aqua Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you OM602 :), yes I have not included full study guide of Eric Conrad as I already thought of covering the material via Shon Harris AIO 6th edition and new official guide.

However I plan to go through 11th hour atleast before 10-12 days of the exam.

Cheers
    Sam
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    OM602 wrote: »
    Sent endorsement sep 2, received confirmation sep 16 :)
    A relief for me and also good to know for those who are still waiting, that the turnaround time is only 2 weeks now. (saw the same from another poster yesterday

Oh yeah one more question, not sure to put CISSP in Linkedin title or not? Looks a bit pretentious

In regards to the LinkedIn dilemma, I have a few colleagues who do that. Honestly, unless you rely on LinkedIn to get jobs and get seen by recruiters, I would avoid it. Otherwise, go for it as it will really help you get noticed.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
    Well I saw some guys I hold in high regard do it, but then again, they work free-lance. I just landed a new job so won't really need it recruiter-wise.Cheers for the feedback :)