Options

Intro and career advice

IsoldeIsolde Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, Folks

My name is Isolde, and I’m in the process of making a career change and getting into the IT industry. My ultimate goal is to pursue computer/digital forensics. I am currently pursuing an associate’s degree in Cyber Crime Technology. I also hold an A.A.S. degree in Criminal Justice, which I obtained back in 2006. I love what I have learned so far. I will be starting my final year next month. My anticipated graduation date is next August, but I hope that may be sooner. I’m coming into this with no experience in IT, aside from what I’ve learned in school thus far. My working experience consists of mainly retail experience, library and office work, and of course, some law enforcement experience, which was my first career path.

I am seeking advice on what direction I should take that can aid in obtaining that goal, and to start gaining experience in IT. I understand that obtaining certifications will be necessary in order for me to get my foot in the door. I’m curious as to when would be a good time to start doing that. It also appears that a bachelor’s degree is also necessary. I’m researching courses offered through two universities local to me.

I appreciate any advice anyone has to offer. If anyone needs to know anything else, let me know and I’ll answer questions as I can.

Thanks!
Isolde

Comments

• Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I think you're in a unique spot. Since you are prior LE you have some connections on that side of the house. Hit up your old connections and see if you get any kind of intern with the people in any department around your area that does that kind of work. It's a difficult field to get into but you're in a unique spot to do so. Keep studying, learn everything you can about PC's and Mac's. Learn Windows, Mac OS, Linux, UNIX, Android, you name it... learn it. If you want digital forensics you're going to need to know it all or where to find the information fairly quickly.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You have a background that you can leverage for IT purposes. In terms of when to start for IT certifications, the answer is, first you have to study and as soon as you feel comfortable you can start taking the certs.
    You would probably need some security certificate and for you I'd say Security+ is a good first cert to get. After that you can re-evaluate and take some of the other harder exams.