Options

Cisco ASA 5505 useful?

brfitzpbrfitzp Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, I have a cisco ASA 5505, It's pretty much never been used but is about two years old.

Either way i was considering possibly doing this certification in the future but have been undecided. Would having this be of any use or could i just download a lab?

I ask because I was going to try and sell it but didn't want to regret it later on. If it will be useless to me, how much should i ask for it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CCNA:Security seemed like it was very wide as far as the material. I used my ASA some during studying but my understanding is you need one for the CCNP.
  • Options
    paq7512paq7512 Member Posts: 102 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would keep it, Cisco has not announced the end of life for this hardware. So it is still good for small businesses.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    It's good for a lab but severely limited in terms of new software. Expect the end of sale coming REALLY soon since the 5505 has been long in the tooth for some time. The 5506-X has been out for awhile now. I would recommend the 5506-X. It's around the same price for the hardware and you get the added bonus of being able to license it for Firepower (Sourcefire's IPS, URL Filtering, and Advanced Malware Protection). Better performance as well.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would still keep it for some time. Keep in mind, on another thread on this site, the CCNA Security exam will be updating soon to exam 210-260. It hasn't been officially announced by Cisco but it will in the near future I say by the end of September 2015. They may have some new "recommended hardware" that they will test on. I know one thing is for sure that CCP is not covered on the new CCNA Security exam at all from looking at the new CCNA Security Cisco Press book I purchased at B&N last month. ASAs will still be tested just not in depth as the current CCNA Security. Best of luck man with your decisions!
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 5506 doesn't have Layer 2 switchports (all ports are Layer 3) from what I've read. There are a lot of complaints out there from people who bought one and found they now had to buy a separate switch for their small office with a handful of PCs and maybe a wireless AP.

I was looking into getting one for my home internet as it has Gigabit (the 5505 is 10/100) and came across the complaints. The 5505 works great except for not supporting the 150 or 300 Mbps package from my Cableco. (I'll be sticking with the 75 Mbps package for now).
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would still keep it for some time. Keep in mind, on another thread on this site, the CCNA Security exam will be updating soon to exam 210-260. It hasn't been officially announced by Cisco but it will in the near future I say by the end of September 2015. They may have some new "recommended hardware" that they will test on. I know one thing is for sure that CCP is not covered on the new CCNA Security exam at all from looking at the new CCNA Security Cisco Press book I purchased at B&N last month. ASAs will still be tested just not in depth as the current CCNA Security. Best of luck man with your decisions!

They're dumping ccp now, what are they going to use instead cli based or asdm?

I was going to get the asa 5505 for sec, but decided not too. If you study correctly i don't think its really needed but nice to have. The asa 5510 are usually great but expensive