Options

VCP5-DCV Retirement?

Varez ITVarez IT Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
First, please forgive me for opening a new thread if this was already discussed elsewhere.

When is the VCP5-DCV course and exam being retired? I can't seem to find any information on the VMware website (VMware Virtualization for Desktop & Server, Application, Public & Hybrid Clouds | United States) that indicates a retirement date for the VCP5-DCV curriculum. In fact, according to the link below the VCP5-DCV course is being offered through December of 2015.

VMware Education

I am asking this because I'm in the middle of studying for the VCP5-DCV (5.5) but I know version 6 is coming out. I'd rather finish what I started and complete 5.5 then upgrade to 6.

Any help is much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The training will stop being offered before the exam retires, if the past is anything to go by.

vSphere 4 training retired within about 6 months of the release of vSphere 5 if I remember correctly - but the VCP410 exam only retired in the middle of 2014.

But, there has been no announcement as you discovered yourself.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Even though VCP6 is announced and is available, the majority of Data Centers worldwide still run on 4.1/5.0/5.1 still and haven't even upgraded to 5.5 yet. Typically cause of the life-cycles of VMware and the cost of renewing your licensing most datacenters use a version for 3 years or more unless a newer version has a reasonable new feature that is just too much to pass-up. At it's core VMware is just a awesome product that just runs well if designed correctly, once built it's really the least of your worries on a network. - it's personally one thing I love about it.

You have to take into account not just VMware but then the compatibility of the hardware with ESXi 6.0, the Operating Systems including legacy systems and other factors. So in a perfect world some companies upgrade every 3 years but considering ESXi 6.0 was just released the standard practice I've found in the IT world is that most wait 10 months to a year before upgrading to a newer version to get all the 'bugs' get worked out by the 'ginny pigs' that choice to upgrade on day 1.

With this being said the moral of the story if you going for 5.5 you should be safe with that level for a few years to be completely honest. Obviously when your get your VCP definitely go for the VCAP or the VCAP equivalent in 6.0 - I hope this helps. :)

I had the same worries when I did the 5.5 exam, but I should be good for at-least a year and a half before I need upgrade to 6.0. Obvisouly for me I'm doing VCAP next after I defeat this annoyingly hard CCNA pursuit and then once VCAP is done go for CCNP or MCSA but that's still undecided, VCAP though isn't. icon_razz.gif
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I finished my Stanly course and am currently studying for the VCP-DCV 5.5 exam. I'm only now hearing a lot about the retirement of this exam, can anyone else confirm if this will be retired? I was hoping to do VCP6 but does this mean I would have to do VCP5 then VCP6 before the retirement date?
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    The Stanly course is for the VCP5-DCV which is not showing on the retirement list:
    https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=49108&ui=www_cert#tab-retired
    Lots of the other version 5 exams are retiring, but this one looks like it has a long way to go yet.
    thanks
    Iain
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    No retirement date set yet for the VCP550 exam.

Pass it and you'll be a VCP5-DCV, go on to pass 2V0-621D and you'll also be a VCP6-DCV.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks Uncleb and Scott28tt
    Really got worried that I would have to adjust my cert timetables (Have done it once already and hits thrown me out of whack)
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    CChilderhoseCChilderhose Member Posts: 137
    Just noticed that the VCAP5 exams retire in June - DCA (June 2, 2016) and DCD (June 24, 2016). Prepping to take DCA and when booking on the MyLearn site this is what shows up in red. If you are interested in these exams you have less than 2 month for DCA and just over 2 months for DCD.
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
    MCITP: EA, VA, SA
    VCAP-DCD, VCP6 -- COMING SOON