Options

Home Lab Assembly

digitheadsdigitheads Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am wanting to peruse my CCIE certification from the ground up, starting at INCD1,and going forward. One thing I will definitely need is a lab for the necessary lab work. So I did a little homework and started looking. I found several "kits" all stating that it was "all I needed", but the cost was outrageous - who buys that ?

So first I determined what I though we be the best and most cost effective hardware. I decided to keep it simple and go with 3 Cisco Catalyst 3548 XL multi-layer switches, and 3 Cisco 2811 Multi-services routers. Not state of the art, but not ice age either.

Next was to purchase - I typically try and get the items as cheap as I can, but I also don't want to get tied up in any drama - I don't want to get stuck in a shipping war over defective products. So typically I purchase one at a time.

But I got lucky - I found a government liquidator, and I was able to purchase the 3 switches for $18.00 each, shipping included. got them in last night and tested them - all is well. Two of the switches have GBIC's Installed !!! all that is left is make sure they all have the same firmware and IOS.

Next the routers. I again went shopping. I found all three routers again at less than $20.00 each, shipping included. Again all I need to do is verify firmware and IOS and I am good to go.

So now I have my complete lab, just need a few odds and ends. Total cost ? right at $120.00 - think twice before you spend more.

Comments

• Options
    steele84steele84 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow, I would be interested in the site where you picked up the 2811's I was getting ready to pull the trigger for a cost of 40$ each. Nice snag on the layer 3 switches with GBIC's !!!!
    “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the 3548 is a L2 only switch.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    clarson wrote: »
    the 3548 is a L2 only switch.

Also the last version of code supported is 12.0.5-WC17. That device has been EOS since 2002. For the IE you need devices that are running the new 15.x code. Straight from Cisco's website:

Candidates who want to prepare using hardware based labs can use the following equipment and Cisco IOS Software
    Releases:
    • Cisco ISR 2900 Series routers running IOS version 15.3T Universal Software release
    • Catalyst 3560X Series switches running IOS version 15.0SE Universal (IP Services) Software release

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/certifications/expert/ccie_rs/docs/ccieRS_examUpdates4-5.pdf

If you don't have your CCNP I recommend not worrying about the CCIE. It is a ways off for you. Just focus on what's in front of you for now and go from there.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2811 is a good choice for routers, but 3548 XL is ice age
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take a look at INE's recommended hardware for their labs. http://labs.ine.com/workbook/view/rs-v5-workbook/task/ines-ccie-r-s-v5-hardware-topology-MjU1NA%3D%3D

Your best bet is probably the 3560E which you can get for about $110 on ebay/Amazon.
  • Options
    steele84steele84 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    koz24 wrote: »
    Take a look at INE's recommended hardware for their labs. http://labs.ine.com/workbook/view/rs-v5-workbook/task/ines-ccie-r-s-v5-hardware-topology-MjU1NA%3D%3D

Your best bet is probably the 3560E which you can get for about $110 on ebay/Amazon.

I picked up 2 3560's and they are great. I'm gonna try and find some cheap GBIC's for them after I'm done with labs and use them in my home network.
    “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 3560-24TS and 3560-48TS will also take IOS 15.0SE (though this is not supported by Cisco). This only works with the TS models as they have 32 MB of flash.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]