Options

Failed CCNA 200-120

DPN1DPN1 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Got 780 , gutted was basically got 41/51 when I needed 43 icon_sad.gif I got 20% on Network Device Security and 33% on operations of IP networks. So atleast I know where my weaknesses are, trying to keep a positive outlook on it but I really should of passed considering I have been working as a junior network engineer for 5 months and will be in fourth year for computing networking atmy Uni in August having aced 3rd year. Also feeling guilty due to the fact my wok paid for it and got nothing back for it.

Comments

• Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bummer, sorry to hear that. What resources did you use to study?
  • Options
    steele84steele84 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't feel bad, feel motivated!!! I failed this week as well (ICND1) but it's got me motivated to study harder and become more passionate about the world of cisco. I found that I have a good understanding of how things work, but if I want to be cisco certified, I need to dig deeper and really understand the terminology. You can do it, tell your work that you appreciate having them fund your test and that you will use this as a motivation to nail it next time. Best of luck!
    “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Focus on those weak domains and hit it even harder next time. I am sitting for ICND2 in a few weeks and going through all the required knowledge categories to ensure I have a complete understanding of the objectives. Don't feel bad, I failed my first A+ exam at the beginning of my career. But I realized that those who fail have a much greater appreciation for success and it makes us stronger.

Good luck!
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I failed the ICND2 today with a 749. I was acing the boson tests but I also memorized some of the answers. ICND1 was easier than I expected, the ICND2 was more difficult. One thing I really wasn't expecting is at least 5 select all that apply questions. Those are brutal and even though I know the material the answers were occasionally worded really badly. I hope this isn't a trend in cisco or higher-level tests. At college I had a test that was all select all questions. I ended up in the 50 percentile and still received an A due to grading on a curve, just proves how difficult these questions can be.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    techfiend wrote: »
    I failed the ICND2 today with a 749. I was acing the boson tests but I also memorized some of the answers. ICND1 was easier than I expected, the ICND2 was more difficult. One thing I really wasn't expecting is at least 5 select all that apply questions. Those are brutal and even though I know the material the answers were occasionally worded really badly. I hope this isn't a trend in cisco or higher-level tests. At college I had a test that was all select all questions. I ended up in the 50 percentile and still received an A due to grading on a curve, just proves how difficult these questions can be.

at-least it's not just me that struggles with the wording.
  • Options
    In the ICND1 I thought some questions were badly worded. The questions were pretty well written in the ICND2 but some of the answers were badly worded so it could be, but might not be right. When you have to select all that apply it removes the ability to select the more sensible choice. If it instructed how many were correct I may have passed, or at least been closer.

I was surveyed after the test and answered strongly disagree it was concisely written. I understand the reasoning for testing comprehension but some of these went beyond that.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I had two old cisco ICND 1 and 2 books, work experience, a test network at work which I've used alot and Measureup practise tests. I wouldnt recommend them though as was scoring +94% everytime on the test but obviously when it came to the exam I didnt get the same results.

Seen Ant man 2 tonight which was very good and has cheered me up a bit, i'll just had to rebook the test for sometime next month and to get cracking on with studying again.icon_study.gif
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    DPN1 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I had two old cisco ICND 1 and 2 books, work experience, a test network at work which I've used alot and Measureup practise tests. I wouldnt recommend them though as was scoring +94% everytime on the test but obviously when it came to the exam I didnt get the same results.

Seen Ant man 2 tonight which was very good and has cheered me up a bit, i'll just had to rebook the test for sometime next month and to get cracking on with studying again.icon_study.gif

Way to go brother, failure isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes you need to fail and fail often for success to mean something much more. After all a test is just a test not life threatening.
  • Options
    Just to let you guys know, I have rebooked the test for the 17th . Hopefully 2nd times the charm , I feel like I have gotten smarter in the last week alone just going over ip services and just of the question Im sure I got wrong.
  • Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    Just to let you guys know, I have rebooked the test for the 17th . Hopefully 2nd times the charm , I feel like I have gotten smarter in the last week alone just going over ip services and just of the question Im sure I got wrong.

Best of luck bro! You'll get it this time around!!
  • Options
    c0mptiac0mptia Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    Way to go brother, failure isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes you need to fail and fail often for success to mean something much more. After all a test is just a test not life threatening.

Good luck bro..
  • Options
    nicemikkinicemikki Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    good luck bro. I want to wish best of luck. I am studying now, but not yet have confident to take the test. You are my motivation.
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□

I've booked my exam for the same day. Here's hoping for the best! :D
  • Options
    ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    Good luck! If you look at it optimistically the real exam is the best practice test out there ;)
  • Options
    It really is and no use spending $100+ for practice tests that don't represent the test well.

On the ICND2 I went from 740 something first try to 1000 my second. Most of the questions were the same. No practice exam in between, just had to remember the questions that I wasn't sure of, writing it down and focus+ helped a lot.
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    Its very easy to get it the second time where you fell short. And nobody has to know you failed once, since it doesn't even really matter in the long run.
  • Options
    Yeah , i feel like failing the test first time has helped me identify weak points I wouldnt have thought about if i had managed to scrape the pass. Good luck Fulcrum , Hopefully we'll both be network associates by the end of the day.
  • Options
    My exam is in 3 hours. I practically locked myself in my office all weekend reading, watching and labbing. My wife forgot what I looked like :) Hope it pays off. Good luck today DPN1!
  • Options
    Passed today with good score above 900/1000 icon_cheers.gif , delighted hopefully Fulcrum joins me as a CCNA soon aswell!
  • Options
    Passed today with 945/1000 icon_cheers.gif , delighted hopefully Fulcrum joins me as a CCNA soon aswell!

Wow nice comeback, that's a great score.
  • Options
    NansNans Member Posts: 160
    koz24 wrote: »
    Wow nice comeback, that's a great score.

Congrats n your pass buddy. I have my exam on sep 1st. A few pointers or suggestions will be really helpful from you.

Regards
    2016 Certification Goals: CCNP Route /COLOR][B][/B][I][B]X[/B][/I][COLOR=#008000-->Switch/COLOR]:study:[COLOR=#ff8c00-->TShoot[], CCDP []
  • Options
    I would recommend reading up on DHCP and what it does when there are conflicts , how packets move around a network , in fact i would recommend knowing all about the osi model and the details of it . You'll need to know how to create ACLs and the structures of them. Port channels, Port security, STP RSTP , Trunking and VLANS .Umm that just some of the main ones of the top of my head, for my second go I just went through all the key points for each section and read up on each until I felt I was ready again.
  • Options
    joeljosuejoeljosue Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well done, Koz....
  • Options
    rjon17469rjon17469 Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass!
  • Options
    joeljosue wrote: »
    Well done, Koz....

Haha thanks, but it wasn't me :D It was DPN1
  • Options
    Woot! Got a pass!
  • Options
    PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    Congrats, Nice score!
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • Options
    907 is a very good score aswell my friend and in the end we both have a CCNA , doesnt matter if its 781 or 999 icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    My exam is in the UK, so it looks like we have different testing standards. Tbh I was wondering what everyone was going on about time management for, I was always done with 30/35 mins left. Makes a bit more sense now.
  • Options
    Hmmm, my rep just took a hit for "Cisco NDA"- guess I'll shut up now. Sorry guys, not sure what I said but I wont say anymore icon_wink.gif