Options

Job Offer

aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147 ■■□□□□□□□□
I got a call from a former coworker at a private company last week. Basically he's attempting to recruit me to come work for him. I might add he's dangling something in the range of a 40% raise in front of me to motivate me to jump ship. The job in question is very interesting and I'll be honest pay rise aside I'm tempted just for the position. I just started with my current employer a number of months ago for a 25% raise over what I made at my previous employer. There are of course plenty of other people out there that an do the job. However I've got a good working relationship with the guy and I've worked closely with the company director previously. I've got the correct clearances to work there and I know their systems already. I could hit the ground running and that's what they want.

The problem is I like my current employer. They actually just promoted me, gave me a nice office plus the benefits are great. It's a great work environment and nice people. Not that the other employer wouldn't offer this too. I'm chewing over the offer in my mind. Any insights would be most welcome. I really am stuck.. I've a great job I'm in learning a lot and I mean a lot. I have a job offer doing what I was doing where I'll be back out of the IT realm again but still enjoying my work and being paid more!

I'll admit this is the first time I've had such a dilemma in my professional life and it's very flattering to have such an offer.

Comments

• Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Which would benefit you more in the long-run?
  • Options
    Deathmage wrote: »
    Which would benefit you more in the long-run?

That's one of the things I'm chewing over in my mind. Both would provide opportunities however my current employer and lower salary would give me more exposure to more systems and allow me to acquire additional skills. Yet... 40% pay rise is hard to turn your nose up at.
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you saying the higher paying job is not in IT? If so, then I wouldn't accept it. Personally, I want to stay in IT for the long term and wouldn't take a job outside of the industry unless it was absurdly high and I knew I would enjoy it just as much as IT work. However, your viewpoint may be different than mine which is ultimately why you'll be the one making the decision ;)

If I'm mistaken and the higher paying job IS in IT, then I see this as a no-brainer. I'd go with the higher paying job in that scenario.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well, first, i would interview for it and find out more and then once you get an actual offer, then make the decision.

But that 40% in a position you would like i think is a no brainer. Sounds like its something a little different which is good for the resume. And now that your salrary is getting up there you don't have to worry about being underpaid in the future.
  • Options
    Well, first, i would interview for it and find out more and then once you get an actual offer, then make the decision.

But that 40% in a position you would like i think is a no brainer. Sounds like its something a little different which is good for the resume. And now that your salrary is getting up there you don't have to worry about being underpaid in the future.

It's an actual offer, I've worked with the director of that company before and he's asking me to apply and come over. An interview is a formality.
  • Options
    aidan80 wrote: »
    It's an actual offer, I've worked with the director of that company before and he's asking me to apply and come over. An interview is a formality.

I would probably do it. But since you are close with him, and its only a formality talk to him about your concerns about the role. Maybe you can get a bump or concession.
  • Options
    aderon wrote: »
    Are you saying the higher paying job is not in IT? If so, then I wouldn't accept it. Personally, I want to stay in IT for the long term and wouldn't take a job outside of the industry unless it was absurdly high and I knew I would enjoy it just as much as IT work. However, your viewpoint may be different than mine which is ultimately why you'll be the one making the decision ;)

If I'm mistaken and the higher paying job IS in IT, then I see this as a no-brainer. I'd go with the higher paying job in that scenario.

It is and it isn't IT. I'd be off any kind of "support" roles and back into an analytical role which is what I've done for the past 10 years before coming back to IT proper. I enjoy data and what we can do with it. I also enjoy the more technical side of IT.

My current employer is offering to promote me in a couple of years to a senior position. I've been told that up front when I first got hired last year. Those positions start at $70k and go way up. Keeping in mind I could hit $62k in a couple of weeks. My concern is with the new employer I could get my $62k and be stuck there in that position whereas my current employer I've a few growth paths money wise. Then again bringing home $60k - $70k a year in this area really is more than enough to live on and have a nice comfortable home.

I'm still thinking it over in my mind... I feel very fortunate to be in this position and I'll just have to weigh out the options before picking a route to go.
  • Options
    I would probably do it. But since you are close with him, and its only a formality talk to him about your concerns about the role. Maybe you can get a bump or concession.

Already talked about that too.. my bump would be starting at $60k+ (base is in the $40's). They are offering to throw in a few extra benefits in addition to healthcare, 401k like education, free trips to industry conferences etc.
  • Options
    aidan80 wrote: »
    Already talked about that too.. my bump would be starting at $60k+ (base is in the $40's). They are offering to throw in a few extra benefits in addition to healthcare, 401k like education, free trips to industry conferences etc.

even better. those are great benefits.