Options

should i accept this job offer

azi90azi90 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am in big dilemma and cant decide for myself.

a little background, currently working as a Service desk analyst making about 33K per annum full time with benefits. Shift works as afternoon 11-7 works out perfectly with everything. Job is very stable and pretty chilling,

Got a job offer from this company who is new in market. Their product is very new and has just launched. They are offering me 45K + 10% bonus per annum full time benefits plus extra week of vacations. Now there are two flaws with this choice which is making me think hard.

A) Company product is new and product has failed once previous. The company am getting hired by has acquired their assets previously from company who went bankrupt. So job security??
B) Work is shift work(cant make changes to it). one week im working 6 am to 2pm than 2pm to 10pm next week than 10pm to 6 am other week and cycle goes on forever. NOW thats a huge deciding factor for me that i dont know if i should take a risk. I dont know if im going to be able to pace up with constant schedule change.

What would you guys do if you had an offer and choice like this. Should i take rist and go ahead for extra 10-14K or its just not worth extra risk. Please help.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't think it is worth the extra risk. You already mentioned that it has failed once before. History tends to repeat itself. Just saying. Good luck with your choice.
  • Options
    Mr. MeeseeksMr. Meeseeks Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I personally wouldn't take the chance on the scheduling along. Consistency is key in this circumstance.
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't take it.
    the shift changes would make it difficult.
    sounds like they are telling you up front that you have to be flexible and not them.
    and the schedule they tell you may not be firm.
  • Options
    HailHogwashHailHogwash Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ill echo what everyone is saying especially about the shift that is all over the place.
  • Options
    Shoe BoxShoe Box Banned Posts: 118
    More money is good but it doesn't sound like a stable or long lasting job. And the schedule changes will make problems.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for their replies.

Yes the schedule is being a big turn off for me.

Not so much the fact that they are new in market etc. I mean even if they were to go bankrupt it will be few years before that happens.(not planning on sticking onto Helpdesk for so long)

But schedule on the other hand i dont know how many people can work 10pm to 6 am on friday and than go back to routine for 6am to 2pm shift from monday...
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The only way I would work for a startup was if I was going to be high up in leadership or ownership and I was in a financially secure place. I personally haven't had great experiences working for small companies, funding is always upper limited as is advancement. Since your still building your career stay where your at until you can find a bump in responsibility with a secure company.
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I guess it would depend on how much money you need in the short term. If that extra 12k is really necessary within the next year due to some monetary situation you're in, then it might be worth it. (Assuming you feel confident you could get another job if this new one tanks).

Also, if the experience is VERY good then I also might consider it in the short term to use as a stepping stone. But, with a proprietary (I'm assuming) and, as of yet, unproven product like that, it's probably not worth it.

Long term though, I agree with everyone here. Switching schedules constantly like that sounds terrible and the outlook you mentioned for the company does seem rather bleak.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    azi90 wrote: »
    But schedule on the other hand i dont know how many people can work 10pm to 6 am on friday and than go back to routine for 6am to 2pm shift from monday...

I think another problem with that is going to be scheduling around the people you live with (Assuming you do). Trying to sleep with others up and about is very difficult (I work 3rd shift and have just resorted to using an eyemask and ear plugs every night lol). And since their sleep schedule isn't changing with yours, it's likely that some weeks may be especially bad, not even counting the fact that you're switching shifts constantly.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I wouldnt worry about the job security. You are early in your career, are you really looking to stay really long term in any position? I would imagine it will last a year. And it will be something else to look good on your resume. I know the current role is comfortable, but its good to get different experience when you are young. Dont sit back because its comfortable.

Also, startups can be a risk, but they can also pay off big time if they work out and you get in early.

If your young, i would say go for it. But if you arent, maybe counter for additional money. Would you do that schedule for 50k?
  • Options
    I wouldnt worry about the job security. You are early in your career, are you really looking to stay really long term in any position? I would imagine it will last a year. And it will be something else to look good on your resume. I know the current role is comfortable, but its good to get different experience when you are young. Dont sit back because its comfortable.

Also, startups can be a risk, but they can also pay off big time if they work out and you get in early.

If your young, i would say go for it. But if you arent, maybe counter for additional money. Would you do that schedule for 50k?

I have spoken to them about giving me offer for 50k but i dont think they want to. And i agree with you im not too pushed back about job security but rather the fact that no idea how i am gonna manage working upto one schedule one week and than change everything next week and cycle goes on.
  • Options
    ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    Yeah, I don't see how they could expect anyone to move their schedule around that much. Why wouldn't they do a monthly rotation instead of a weekly? Seems like they have no clue what they are doing.
  • Options
    ImThe0ne wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't see how they could expect anyone to move their schedule around that much. Why wouldn't they do a monthly rotation instead of a weekly? Seems like they have no clue what they are doing.

exactly my thoughts. I mean money is attractive(could buy a good car but lol icon_sad.gif ) but cmon in few months i think i will start draining out just because of this sole reason

Anyway i have declined the offer. Couldnt come to either term(increase to 50k or remove the night shift option).
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    I would only accept this position if I had my schedule lock-down. Additionally, I would only accept a position if it betters my career goals.