Options

Extra money

pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
Does anyone here have like an online job where they make some extra cash, and if so what companies do you guys work for?
WGU Complete: September 2014

Comments

• Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You could probably make extra money at workmarket.com or Craigslist but personally, I was always of the mentality that I'd rather get I high enough salary that I wouldn't need extra work.
  • Options
    W Stewart wrote: »
    You could probably make extra money at workmarket.com or Craigslist but personally, I was always of the mentality that I'd rather get I high enough salary that I wouldn't need extra work.

I don't necessarily need the money, it is more like a way to do something on some spare time to rack up my savings account or something.
  • Options
    bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
    I am interested in doing something to- not only to pad my savings a bit, but to get more experience. Ideally a remote IT support time role, part times on the weekend. Is there anything like that out there?

A+ certified
    Bachelors of Science in Social Work, Augsburg College
    Working on: Network+
  • Options
    CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    I applied for an Helpdesk at home type of job before, I'll post up the information once I find that email.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I earn extra money playing poker online.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    markulous wrote: »

what site do you use? I'm always worried if I deposit my money in some sites I won't be able to cash out after they tried making it illegal a few years back.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Spend the free time studying and passing certs, then get a higher paying job.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    what site do you use? I'm always worried if I deposit my money in some sites I won't be able to cash out after they tried making it illegal a few years back.

Bovada. It's not illegal to play poker online, it's just some sites (e.g. Pokerstars) don't allow US players. I used a prepaid card to load the money since my bank was being weird, but likely if I had called them it would have been fine. 2+2 (a huge poker forum) has a big thread on Bovada and it's perfectly legit.
  • Options
    dave330i wrote: »

I have a good paying job. I have my VCP, MCSE, Citrix Certified Expert, all my Comptia Certs, A+, Security+, Network+, Project+, and my CCNA. Like I said earlier, I have a good paying job, and there times where I just have a lot of free time outside of work, so I would like to just earn some money on the side when I have that.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bovada.

I used Bovada to put money on MMA fighters. It's not that hard to win majority of bets if you know fighters and their background well.
  • Options
    I used Bovada to put money on MMA fighters. It's not that hard to win majority of bets if you know fighters and their background well.

I can see that. I used to watch a ton of MMA, but I stopped a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Through an excoworker I found a guy who owns a small msp and he has no network engineers.

Once in a while I do side work for him at 60 an hour. He pays cash so I don't mind the lower rate walkin out with 480 bucks for 8 hrs work.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□

I concur.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    srabiee wrote: »
    I concur.

...and my axe!
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I haven't gotten any extra money (yet) but will get a pay rise through the appraisal system.

If I go to 3rd line I believe I'll lose my shift allowance (20%) and won't get much else so I'm better off staying where I am and doing more certs.

Wouldn't mind some contracts on the side though, could charge £75 an hour for my skills.
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Refine your skills and get a better job
  • Options
    Bovada. It's not illegal to play poker online, it's just some sites (e.g. Pokerstars) don't allow US players. I used a prepaid card to load the money since my bank was being weird, but likely if I had called them it would have been fine. 2+2 (a huge poker forum) has a big thread on Bovada and it's perfectly legit.

Decided to give Bovada a try last night, put $50 in and turned it in to $180! Think I'm probably just gonna cash out tonight and be done though. I really should've been studying for my exam coming up. Played for about 2 and a half hours. icon_silent.gif $130 richer because of you though.... Good to know there is place to play online if I want!
  • Options
    Decided to give Bovada a try last night, put $50 in and turned it in to $180! Think I'm probably just gonna cash out tonight and be done though. I really should've been studying for my exam coming up. Played for about 2 and a half hours. icon_silent.gif $130 richer because of you though.... Good to know there is place to play online if I want!

icon_thumright.gif What were you playing?
  • Options
    Just played .25/.50 NL, 9 person table. Won a big chunk on one hand where I turned the second nut flush, not sure what they other guy had, think he must of had a set. Think the trick to winning is just to find those people that are willing to play a huge pot without a really good hand. Which actually happens more than I thought it would!
  • Options
    I'm grinding my way up to that limit. I only had $20 to spare, so I'm playing 0.02/0.05 and got up to $70 so far this past week (which I'm still under-rolled for).

Yeah I definitely make an effort to stay at tables when there are loose players there.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try odesk or freelancer, the first I found easier to search on.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I use odesk/Elance myself (which are both part of upwork now).
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    pixa241 wrote: »
    I have a good paying job. I have my VCP, MCSE, Citrix Certified Expert, all my Comptia Certs, A+, Security+, Network+, Project+, and my CCNA. Like I said earlier, I have a good paying job, and there times where I just have a lot of free time outside of work, so I would like to just earn some money on the side when I have that.

I'm earning ~$200k with ~5 years experience in IT following my method. Good luck with your part time job.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    mackenzaemackenzae Member Posts: 77 ■□□□□□□□□□

This was an item on a list of things not do to earn extra money on MSN finance just the other day lol.
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm earning ~$200k with ~5 years experience in IT following my method. Good luck with your part time job.

Dang, off the top rope!
  • Options
    mackenzae wrote: »
    This was an item on a list of things not do to earn extra money on MSN finance just the other day lol.

Probably because it's just not something you can jump into and expect to make consistent money. Math shows that playing a certain way will always yield positive results over the long run.
  • Options
    Shoe BoxShoe Box Banned Posts: 118
    I guess this isn't an "online" job, but I advertise around my area to go to people's houses and do all sorts of PC repairs. I have been doing it for years and I get a fair amount of referrals and repeat business, and it is almost always CASH transactions too. Getting paid for things you know how to do that the average homeowner can't handle is nice. :)

And I don't go overcharging for simple things like Geek Squad.
  • Options
    mackenzae wrote: »

Hey! online poker paid for a couple of vacations to Mexico for me a few years back! Granted I would probably be making more money now if I would've studied IT books instead of Poker books... (I have a shelf full of poker books) But I was just doing it for fun, not as an actual income. ;)

I definitely wouldn't recommend online poker for most people though.
  • Options
    ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I do online marketing and SEO(search engine optimization) for small businesses looking to get to the top of search rankings. Easy work, and some clients I can charge 1-2k/month because they are in the medical/dental field and 1 client I bring them could earn them thousands so it is worth it.