Let the journey begin

f16jetmanf16jetman Member Posts: 108
I am kicking off my studies for ICDN1 & 2. Using the Following to study:

1. WGU resources
2. Hard copy of Wendell Odom's ICDN1 & 2 CCNA books
3. GNS3 <- This is a challenge in it's own right to configure.
4. A physical mini lab (1). Cisco 2621 Router (1) Cisco 3550 Layer 3 switch

I am ebay hunting for an additional 2621 to round out my physical lab.

I am taking a month term break during August for the birth of my son. I hope to pass the ICDN1 in my first week of the new term. I hope I am being realistic lol. I want to pass ICDN2 before the new year. Am I being too optimistic?

Any and all advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!
I picked the wrong profession. Too much studying. :study:
[FONT=&amp]Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24[/FONT]

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Definitely enough time to get it by the end of the year. Even with the new kid. Congrats by the way! Just had my first about 6 months ago icon_thumright.gif I think I was pretty lucky and my baby girl was sleeping through the night at about one and a half months old. Don't know if you other kids, but it is definitely tough to study with a newborn!

If you got the extra cash I'd recommend getting a couple more routers and a couple more switches for a home lab though. You'll want them. Unless your planning on doing everything in GNS3.
  • f16jetmanf16jetman Member Posts: 108
    This will be my first kid so I am probably gonna be really hard pressed for study time. Not sure my wife will like staying at home all day with the baby only for me to come home and plop down in front of a pc to study! lol Actually she knows that this cert "should" really help my career and in the end the time sacrifice will be worth it.

I will look into getting additional routers and switches. I believe GNS3 is handicapped when it comes to switches, so I don't plan on doing everything in it.
    [FONT=&amp]Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24[/FONT]
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, studying time with a new born is hard to come by. Your going to need your wife's help and it will mean extra work for her as well. So just make sure she is on board with it beforehand! Right now I usually start studying at 9pm when the wife and kid goes to sleep.

Here is another thread about it: http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/107686-studying-newborn.html
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats by the way, being a parent is amazing but hard work. Like your style NetworkNewb glad I'm not the only one who doesn't get chance to study until 9PM or later, it is a challenge but hopefully will pay off.
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Save money on the 2621 and use that to invest in more switches. Preferably 3560e. You will need more than 1 switch in ICND2. You don't need physical routers with GNS3 but you do need switches. You can connect physical switches to GNS3 using either quad NICs or USB NICs.
    koz24 wrote: »
    Save money on the 2621 and use that to invest in more switches. Preferably 3560e. You will need more than 1 switch in ICND2. You don't need physical routers with GNS3 but you do need switches. You can connect physical switches to GNS3 using either quad NICs or USB NICs.

Ok, the 3560e is out of my price range right now. Would another 3550 suffice?
    f16jetman wrote: »
    Ok, the 3560e is out of my price range right now. Would another 3550 suffice?
    Yes. You will want 3-4 switches for STP labs. I recommended the 3560e because it does Private VLANS(CCNP topic, but worth the investment) and IPv6. I'm not sure if IPv6 is supported on the 3550.
  • AlceoAlceo Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm using two 3550, you can do all that is needed for CCNA with them.
    It seems that IPv6 is only software-based, not in asics.
    Alceo wrote: »
    It seems that IPv6 is only software-based, not in asics.
    That's the answer I found too.
    Half way through CBTNuggets ICDN1, and I realize that CBTNuggets alone will not be enough to pass that CCENT exam. Getting delayed in studying because of my wife's birthing class (SO much "fun" to attend) and freaking kidney stones. It is not the stones themselves but it is the pain killer for them. Makes me loopy and sleepy icon_sad.gif But I am still planning for the first week of September or possible the second week if I have too.

Edit: I have a cisco 1841, 2651xm and a 3550 24 port switch on the way. This will round out my physical lab and bring my total to 3 routers and 2 switches.
    f16jetman wrote: »
    Half way through CBTNuggets ICDN1, and I realize that CBTNuggets alone will not be enough to pass that CCENT exam. Getting delayed in studying because of my wife's birthing class (SO much "fun" to attend) and freaking kidney stones. It is not the stones themselves but it is the pain killer for them. Makes me loopy and sleepy icon_sad.gif But I am still planning for the first week of September or possible the second week if I have too.

How far are you into the Odom book? If time is scarce I'd make the book my top priority over videos.
    Chapter 6. Ok I will try that.
    Haven't posted in a few months been too busy! I am sitting my ICND1 to at 8:30am MST! I think I have it in the bag but we will see!
  • MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□