Options

I Passed the Security+ Exam Today!

bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
I passed with a score of 837.

I started studying on July 9 and took the test today on July 27. I used the following materials to help me study:
  • CompTIA Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-401 Study Guide
  • CompTIA Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-401 Practice Test Questions
  • CompTIA Security+ Certification Practice Exams, Second Edition (Exam SY0-401) (Certification Press)
  • Study sets (flashcards) that other people created and shared on Quizlet
Each day, I read one chapter in Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-401 Study Guide. It took me eleven days to finish reading that book. Then I answered practice exam questions from the other two books.

Someone created a study set for ports on Quizlet, so I memorized all the ports.

My background is Java programming, but I have some knowledge of networking from high school.
2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science

Comments

• Options
    whotimewhotime Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BJPeter, First of all congrats on completing. I am working on this too and start studying today. Do you have any notes or names of flash cards you would be willing to share?
    WGU BS: IT-Security
    In Progress: C170, C246
    To Be Completed: C247, C299, C697, C698, C435, C436, C179
  • Options
    First, download the Quizlet app on your iOS or Android device. Then look for "SY0-401 Security+ Port Objective" and "Security+ (SY0-401) Terms". I used those to study. One has ports, the other has vocabulary words (e.g. 802.1x, CHAP, XaaS, etc.).

You can use the app like you would with physical flash cards. :)
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    CONGRATSicon_thumright.gif that's some good study information. thanks for the heads up
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    whotimewhotime Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thank you sir
    WGU BS: IT-Security
    In Progress: C170, C246
    To Be Completed: C247, C299, C697, C698, C435, C436, C179
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    tmcgtmcg Banned Posts: 127
    Congrats that's quite a feat. How many hours a day did you study?
  • Options
    JameswebJamesweb Member Posts: 144
    Big congrats on the pass and a great score on it too!!
    Currently working on CCENT/CCNA and CAPM
  • Options
    tmcg wrote: »
    Congrats that's quite a feat. How many hours a day did you study?

Maybe a couple of hours. I just read through each chapter in the book once, answered the questions at the end, put the book down, and call it a day.

I also studied about that much each day after I finished reading, basically going through all the flash cards on Quizlet and in Gibson's book of practice exams.
  • Options
    themanwholaughsthemanwholaughs Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratz on the great score and passing the exam :)
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!! icon_thumright.gif

I have preached these resources :
    --
    --
    Since passing Security+ in April with 3 weeks of study. Gibson's book and online practice tests are the unparalleled definitive study materials of Security+. Once again congrats!

-Travis
    • Education: B.A. Criminal Justice - Thomas Edison State University
    • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
    • Currently Working On: MCSA - Windows 10
    • Planned Certifications for 2017: MCSE - Mobility
    • Connect With Me On LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisebyrd
  • Options
    racketracket Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    orlandofl wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass!! icon_thumright.gif

I have preached these resources :
    --
    --
    Since passing Security+ in April with 3 weeks of study. Gibson's book and online practice tests are the unparalleled definitive study materials of Security+. Once again congrats!

-Travis

How relevant were the practice questions from Gibson book? I'm scheduled to take the exam soon and I've done pretty well on the practice exams, but it seems like I've seen some people say they were totally blindsided.
  • Options
    MrJimbo19MrJimbo19 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    racket wrote: »
    How relevant were the practice questions from Gibson book? I'm scheduled to take the exam soon and I've done pretty well on the practice exams, but it seems like I've seen some people say they were totally blindsided.

I just passed this test on Monday using his book exclusively. The questions may not be exact matches but if you can answer them and understand the reason behind why you answered that then you will be good to go. I found this test to be harder of the CompTia tests I have taken but definitely doable with the right prep, good luck on your studies!