Options

Do You Give Your Current Job 2 Weeks Notice During or After The Background Check?

coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
Morning/Afternoon Everyone,

I just received news of a job offer that I accepted. I'm waiting on the official offer letter and I was informed the background check would take 5-10 days. I have no background so I'm not concerned, but to cover my own behind with my current employer I would like to wait until it comes back and then give my notice. Is this the norm? Just wondering.
WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
Completion Date: May 2021

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I do not give notice until EVERYTHING is complete and good to go for the new job. Background check included. Just a CYA thing.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Networker is correct, never ever ever give a two week notice until Background, offer letter is signed, and start date is set.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    Thank you networker that is my plan.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I just watched this bite someone. He wasn't concerned about his background either. The urinalysis lab took longer than normal to process his stuff, it delayed him starting by a week. One week with no pay isn't horrible, but I'd suggest avoiding anything like that if possible.
  • Options
    wtrwlkrwtrwlkr Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To add to this, background check agencies are by no means perfect. I've heard of instances where an agency didn't do their due diligence and reported incorrect information on the background report. One story I remember hearing was of an applicant with nothing in his background to produce a red flag, who had a name in common with a convicted felon. The agency reported the felon's information with that of the applicant. Background check failed. The applicant tried to correct the issue with the agency, but by that time the company had passed on him and didn't want to take a chance.

Exactly what Networker said. Don't give notice until you have a confirmed start date in hand. You never know what could happen.
  • Options
    majestic_pecanmajestic_pecan Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Definitely wait. A good employer will have no issue waiting an additional 2 weeks and your HR contact might be able to give you a good idea of when the background check will clear if you need to get out of your current position ASAP.
    When I was hired at my current employer my background check took over a month, not because I have anything in my background but because apparently some law enforcement agencies just don't give out background information in a timely manner. I couldn't start working until some small sheriff's office finally decided to release my (lack of) background information.
    2016 GOALS:
    Linux+
    Wireshark
    New job...
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    wtrwlkr wrote: »
    To add to this, background check agencies are by no means perfect. I've heard of instances where an agency didn't do their due diligence and reported incorrect information on the background report. One story I remember hearing was of an applicant with nothing in his background to produce a red flag, who had a name in common with a convicted felon. The agency reported the felon's information with that of the applicant. Background check failed. The applicant tried to correct the issue with the agency, but by that time the company had passed on him and didn't want to take a chance.

Exactly what Networker said. Don't give notice until you have a confirmed start date in hand. You never know what could happen.

This has happened to me... first and last name were same middle initial was the same but middle name was different, the background company flagged my background and held up me starting for 2 extra weeks until I reached out to them to ask what was taking so long and they mentioned something came up... It just so happened that while I was trading stocks I remember getting a email asking me to verify my information from 2 years previous under some patriot act law because they wanted to verify I wasnt that guy as well. I put 2 and 2 together, got it cleared up and started a full 1 month after I had been offered the job.

I would recommend always waiting, if I had put my noticed in I would have been sitting around 3 weeks sweating bullets.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    From experience..2 weeks AFTER.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i don't give notice until EVERYTHING is cleared, and i have a set in stone starting date...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Like everyone said: Once you have a cleared background check and a defined start date.

I've been with my company for 6 years and I just had a background check for a client take 2mos to complete because the investigating organization was not properly staffed to handle the load of paperwork. Make sure everything is finalized before putting in your notice.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not giving anyone the slightest hint until offer letter is in hand, everything that needs to be done is complete, and start date has been set.
  • Options
    BetrayalBetrayal Member Posts: 108
    I would wait until after the background check and everything is confirmed and set in stone.
  • Options
    Great info in this thread. I"m expecting my offer letter today and my scheduled start date was 8/10, but I told the gentleman that I prefer 8/17 as that will be a full 2 weeks. I'm not looking to burn any bridges with my current employer.