Options

Intro and a couple of questions...

SwoffSwoff Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
This is my first post here, so…hello!

I’ve been reading a little off and on here over the last year or so and it’s great to see how helpful everyone is. Of course, I also have questions. icon_wink.gif

Here’s a little history…I’ve been in telecommunications (engineering / drafting) for over 15 years. I should have an AAS in Network Support in about a year and will continue to either WGU or an online program from a B&M university for my B.S.
I’m still figuring out exactly what path I want to head down in regards to this career, so I have a couple of questions:

What IT position seems to allow the best family life and which ones are most prohibitive?
(I have a wonderful wife and two beautiful little girls I love spending time with.)

I’m 43, and right now at about $56k / year. I plan on working well into my 60’s and probably longer. What are some of the best options career track wise to increase start pushing that upward?
I’ve enjoyed pretty much everything I’ve encountered in my studies so I’m open to most any thought you guys have.

Also, any suggestions on what WGU degree would be most beneficial would be great.

I like what I do and the company I’m with, just need some new challenges. Any answers are very much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I am 55 years young and plan on working until I die. Anyway, I have been in various IT roles throughout the years and I think virtualization and Database Management is a good way to go. Just my opinion.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There are a million different ways to go depending on what interests you. It sounds like networking might be your thing, WGU has a network focused track. As for schedules and work/life balance, it's highly dependent on the company you work for. I've worked at startups where working overnights to meet deadlines was common and other places where people start to get upset if you are there 2 minutes past the end of your shift.
  • Options
    SwoffSwoff Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I figured a lot of it would be workplace dependent. Luckily, my wife stays home right now, so that gives me a little more leeway in vacation planning and such.

Networking does seem great, just from what I have gathered. I also like the thought of network / information security.
    Info security, virtualization and cloud computing are a growing thing where I'm working right now. I'll probably look into learning Openstacks just for grins. There have been a few job postings here where I work that require Openstacks knowledge.