Any one know of any 9 to 5 IT careers? Some thing Similar to a School System Admin?

IT College_StudentIT College_Student Banned Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Some thing Similar to a School System Admin? Or anything IT that takes place during the week?

Comments

• markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There were a couple big threads on this recently.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Where I am at 7:30 - 4. sometimes stay late to updating servers.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    College student looking for 9-5? Interesting. A little background would help.
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They're all either low-end (desktop support, helpdesk, etc, where you're paid by the hour), or high-end (systems engineer where you work on projects, but are no longer responsible for operations).

After you get past the former, but haven't advanced to be the latter yet, you're probably going to have to do some on call work.
  • Bchen2Bchen2 Banned Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Government Jobs ( County, City Halls, School Districts, Universities etc ) some private software companies and health clinic have 9 to 5 IT jobs
    Pay is alright as long as you don't expect a big high paycheck
    Projects are interesting sometimes
    Its really all company dependent
  • CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DoD jobs. Find a contractor or GS gig, they rarely work overtime from what I've seen.
  • oxymoron5koxymoron5k Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MSPs provide 9 - 5
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Codyy wrote: »
    DoD jobs. Find a contractor or GS gig, they rarely work overtime from what I've seen.

Can confirm. I am a DoD contractor and I rarely work overtime. It actually has to be submitted to our program manager with justification before they will even consider.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • yparkypark Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm doing helpdesk at a local community college and do 9 to 5 mostly. Sometimes I come in few hours late and stay few more hours. You wouldn't want to make a career out of college helpdesk though. Super repetitive and low pay.
    2022 Goals: [PCNSE] [JNCIS-SP] [JNCIS-SEC] [JNCIS-DevOps]
  • Bchen2Bchen2 Banned Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ypark wrote: »
    I'm doing helpdesk at a local community college and do 9 to 5 mostly. Sometimes I come in few hours late and stay few more hours. You wouldn't want to make a career out of college helpdesk though. Super repetitive and low pay.
    Sounds just about right I did help desk for a school district as well it was also 9 to 5. The pay was 20 an hour its okay for entry level but Im about to accept a Level 2 Computer Support position ( Desktop support pretty much...) pay is better and same hours ( 9 to 5 no weekend or on call )but as most people would see on this thread best places for 9 to 5 IT jobs are in government/public sector

I would be interested in knowing if any private sector IT employee can pinch in here who works 9 to 5 and tell us what they do and how much they get paid?
  • SwoffSwoff Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd like some info on this as well. Being on call (maybe in a rotation) and getting called out on occasion wouldn't kill me for a while, especially if I was gaining experience and learning a lot...but constant regular overnights, like 11p-7a would be hideous.
  • MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I work 8-5 most of the time, though with projects I do have to work some late nights and weekends, due to cutover availability for my clients. Network Engineer for a small VAR.
  • IT College_StudentIT College_Student Banned Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    College student looking for 9-5? Interesting. A little background would help.
    Thanks to everyone on this thread I am looking for something 9 to 5 in IT while going back to school
    Im transferring to a state university for a CIS program from community college I have done two internships in IT support and have a an Associate in Computer technology for my CIS program some of my classes will be during the night and weekend