Options

To Accept or Reject The Counter Offer?

coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
Good morning everyone,

I know this topic has come up a million times before, but here's my scenario. I've been with my current company, it will be 2 years as of next month. Work as a desktop support rep on a team of 3 and I actually like what I do. Great benefits, schedule flexibility is incredible, and a great group of people to work with. On the flip side, I've recently been offered a new gig doing helpdesk for more $ and nice perks, but I'm not too high on the fact that my health insurance premium would increase. I spoke with my boss this morning before officially submitting my notice and he says they would hate to lose me and comes back with $1K more than the new company is offering. For me, money is always great, but growth is much more important. While I see growth where I'm currently at it would seriously take a while for it to happen as oppose to the new company where I would work directly with the networking team. Looking for some insight for those who have been in similar situations and how you handled it. I wasn't planning on putting my official notice in until Monday since my start date is scheduled for the 17th.
WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
Completion Date: May 2021

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Reject. Now that your office/boss knows that you looked for a job, there be a level of suspicion..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    To me the question really boils down to - is the slower growth at the existing company worth $1000 a year? Is the greater possibility of growth at the new company worth losing out on $1000? $1000 seems like chump change to me compared to potentially better opportunity.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That $1k is fool's gold. Reject that counter offer.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. My lady friend feels the same way as you all do. Plus with the new gig, per the offer letter, I'm eligible for a raise on 1/1/16 anyhow which I think would trump the $1K.
  • Options
    nerdinhidingnerdinhiding Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Once you put in a notice, it is time to move on. Things will never be the same at your current employer. You are trying to do whats best for yourself and they are trying to do what is best for them, human nature. I am speaking from experience on this one.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Take the new gig
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Some guys here have had luck with counteroffers. These are the only couple of cases I've seen where it went OK. Every other case that I have first hand knowledge of (20+) have ended bad. As a result do not believe in them in recommend people move on and never look back.
  • Options
    Well after further discussion the ante was upped some more as well as I was presented with an opportunity to grow my knowledge as well so I'm going to sit tight on this one.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    my personal rule of thumb is, never accept a counter offer...

others might disagree, and say it depends on the situation, but to me, companies have a loooooooooooooong memory when it comes to that...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    I think $1k extra is like $0.50 per hour increase or less. Another thing to consider is will you really like working helpdesk versus desktop?
    Helpdesk from my experience really sucks...you get pooped on the most. You have to stay put and create tons of tickets, route, escalate, call. email people who do not want to do their jobs.
    Desktop at least you get some free reign. You are typically considered tier 2 & 3 in that realm too.

Is it really worth it? Generally, I'd say no.
  • Options
    I think $1k extra is like $0.50 per hour increase or less. Another thing to consider is will you really like working helpdesk versus desktop?
    Helpdesk from my experience really sucks...you get pooped on the most. You have to stay put and create tons of tickets, route, escalate, call. email people who do not want to do their jobs.
    Desktop at least you get some free reign. You are typically considered tier 2 & 3 in that realm too.

Is it really worth it? Generally, I'd say no.

Very good point. I didn't consider this as well.
  • Options
    I am curious OP, did you talk to your manager about your career at some point before this opportunity showed up?
  • Options
    Honestly, no cyberprguy, so this is my fault for not being vocal about what I wanted to do. I mentioned once while we were out on a group outing that I was interested in networking. I never touched back on it after that, which I should've.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depends HEAVILY on your boss character and your company's culture. Is it usual for this boss/company to hate people who are leaving? Is it usual for this boss/company to accept people who left for a while and then are looking to get back? Are there any cases like this? Is this company full of corporate sh!t like "we have the best corporate culture in the world" or "all our employees had been dreaming about working here since when they were at their mothers' wombs"?

Because in fact, if we take it on a purely rational basis, there's no any shame or betrayal in leaving. And even sometimes getting back. We are all mercenaries for hire and every job is temporary. But some companies try to make it hard and if you work in such a company -- don't accept, the chances are they will use you while searching for replacement and kick you out.
  • Options
    Understood. One of the reason why I'm always against counteroffers is because I assume a discussion has been had with management regarding career goals, responsibilities, etc. and the results were unfavorable for the employee. Just something to keep in mind.
  • Options
    ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Over my 15 years at my current employer, I have tried to leave 3 times. Accepted their counter offer all three times, mainly because I was comfortable. These all happened in my first 5 years there. (pre-IT)
    I would say it was a bad decision overall. The person who said that companies have a long memory, is 100% right. For years people would poke fun at me for trying to leave, make it sound like I can't live without the company, and even start rumors that I am using "another" job for a raise. So I am on the side of leave the job.

If they are coming back at you with a counter, offering growth.....why haven't they seen this potential in you the two years you were there? They just don't want to deal with losing man power, and having to start over in the process.
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't always entertain these counter offers, go for the new gig as mentioned, at some places HR will put you on their cannot be trusted list. You don't want them putting you into a missile launcher when reorganization rears its ugly head :p
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Understood. One of the reason why I'm always against counteroffers is because I assume a discussion has been had with management regarding career goals, responsibilities, etc. and the results were unfavorable for the employee. Just something to keep in mind.

This I can understand.
  • Options
    Of course I told the new company and now they're working on a counter offer now for me. I've asked for $62K as oppose to the initial $55K offer.
  • Options
    JimSweJimSwe Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The way I see it - Why are they only just now offering you the raise and opportunity for growth - after you put in a notice? When you didn't have another potential job, these grand plans for you didn't exist.

Also I agree with others who say that your employee might not trust you or put you on some list of shame at HR.
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    my employer tried to give me a +30% counter offer which I felt bad about (having to say no twice), even though the counter offer was not as high as the initial offer from the new employer. I don't think the counter offer is always the employer side being evil, trying to buy time. But I don't think its possible to shake the stigma of being that guy who tried to leave.
    coreyb80 wrote: »
    Of course I told the new company and now they're working on a counter offer now for me. I've asked for $62K as oppose to the initial $55K offer.
    Did the company do this of their own volition? I would tread lightly. It sounds like they want you which is good, but make sure you get something in writing now that you've dropped the hammer at your current place of employment. I've seen many people TRY to rescind their employment termination when things go awry with the new employer but that never works good. The employer can choose to uphold the termination as agreed.
  • Options
    The lady from HR sent me an email Friday afternoon confirming the new salary offer so it's pretty much a done deal now.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Excellent. Congrats!icon_cheers.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Thanks. This is pretty much a 20% raise and I receive a salary review on 1/1/2016. Definitely feeling good about my future only being in IT for 2 years now. I'm leaving the western Chicago suburbs and taking my talents downtown.