Options

The New York Area

seanBubbyseanBubby Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Is the New York City area particularly saturated with entry level tech jobs? I 'm going to be job hunting soon as I am close to graduation and I wanted to get some intel on whether or not I will have a particularly hard job finding one.

I am as humble as hell, and I will take anything so long as it pays more than my current job (Gap Stock Associate). I know I have no experience sans a 7 month stint selling PC's at Best Buy and like two weeks in Geek Squad as a schedule filler for them, so I am looking for barebones entry level help-desk/tech support, whatever is entry level.

Is NYC a great place to find employment? (​It's not like I can move or anything, lol)

Comments

• Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    there's a ton of entry level stuff, but with that, some pay decent entry level salary, and some not so much. Plus you can also work in Jersey(JC, Hoboken, Newark, Mahwah), or CT(Stamford, B-port, Greenwich, Fairfield, etc)

Also, there are firms that have recent grad programs. It might be too late to apply for this year, but look into that. Linkedin, Indeed, Dice are pretty much all you need as far as job boards....IMO
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are so many Entry Level jobs in NYC it's insane. Now with that said, the pay is disgustingly low (paid hourly in the teens) which is unacceptable for NYC, though good for building experience.
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    Nyblizzard wrote: »
    There are so many Entry Level jobs in NYC it's insane. Now with that said, the pay is disgustingly low (paid hourly in the teens) which is unacceptable for NYC, though good for building experience.

Paid hourly in the teens is so much better than 10 an hour.

I'm basically at the bottom in terms of salary. Nowhere to go but up!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Pretty soon you can just go flip burgers for $15hr in NYC!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Pretty soon you can just go flip burgers for $15hr in NYC!

NEVER. I refuse to lower myself to fast-food ever again. I know better than that. There is more respect to be earned going up the ladder in tech. Sure, I'll be a lowly Help-desk tech at first , but once I reach higher levels, I can command more respect and feel better about myself.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Very expensive to live in NYC..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....