Options

Would you ever go back to a company you used to work for?

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
That's the simple question. It's been 5 years since I left my first company. Got good experience from it but I had to jump ship to get different type of experience and increase my salary. Now that company has 2 new positions that I think I could be a good fit. The management is still the same so they probably remember me and I'd be working with the same people I used to work but this time in more senior positions. So, would anyone ever considering going back to a company they used to work for? Is it even worth it to think about it at all?

Comments

• Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would only because my former employer has an office in the country that I want to relocate to. Besides that I have no reason to look back.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yes I've worked for the same company twice already in my career. As long as you work for reasonable people they understand people wanting to advance in their career. Even if it's with another company.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ITBotITBot Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As long as the management and the co-workers are great, I'd go back to a former job. At least you usually know exactly what you're getting into.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, I like both of my last companies and would go back. Left last one because I moved and the drive was too long, if I moved back near that area I would. And the one before that... well let's just say the reason I left the one before that, the reason is no longer at the company anymore :) Both successful growing companies with alot of good people.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yes I've worked for the same company twice already in my career. As long as you work for reasonable people they understand people wanting to advance in their career. Even if it's with another company.

^^^ This. I started out in desktop support for company A, I left to get more experience and better pay. My manager said he understood and took me out to lunch on my last day. If I ever seen a higher level gig that offered more experience and better pay, why shouldn't I go back? I left on good terms and the people are nice.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I came back to the same job at the same company. Left in October to take job in Kuwait (adding some network experience and making more money). In May, saw that my old position still hadn't been filled, so came back to 12% raise over what I was making when I left. That was 7 years ago now, still with the same company (though i've moved internally, gotten promotions, and company was acquired by someone else)
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Yes, I have done that before and also got cut due to budget cuts 2 years later. I knew there was a chance of that, but that pay was great and I got to learn more about programming.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sure, I'm still doing contract work for my first company, and left on good terms with my second company. Still worked there part time until recently.

If a position opens that gives me great pay and experience, why not?
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nah...i'm good on that...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    techfan21techfan21 Registered Users Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    6 months ago I worked for a company called Cleaver Brooks they treated their employees very well it was a really good place for IT or Customer service just wished they had hours other than 8-5 for IT. If given the chance I would head back in a heart beat and try to work my way into a higher position than help desk.
  • Options
    JimSweJimSwe Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you left on good terms I don't see why not. You wanted to advance, and they couldn't offer you anything at the time. Now you have the experience, and they have the open position.
  • Options
    thronetmthronetm Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, the last two places I left told me the door was always open.

So providing they had a role that fit my needs, it would be a pleasure to return
  • Options
    ArchonArchon Member Posts: 183 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, if you haven't burnt your bridges.

There are only a few companies that i would personally go back to but thats mainly due to the company itself.
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ill never go back.. I left for a reason!
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Some of the companies yes. I left because i needed more of a challenge in a higher position to further myself. If that opportunity arose there I would consider it.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depends on how you left and the company. Some companies would let you back, but with a big target on your back. I doubt many of my previous employers would allow me back - they consider leaving the company as a deadly sin.
  • Options
    redworldredworld Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If they laid me off, nope. That's happened once in my career and I turned down offers to come back at a higher salary about 9 months later.

There are so many options in the New York market that I don't see much point personally in going back to a comfort zone. Looking ahead keeps me better motivated.
  • Options
    kly630kly630 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Depends on if the company did something serious that made me want to leave. I've had that happen twice in my career and won't go back to either company.

First time something important broke and there wasn't any timeline on getting it fixed and I was just a desktop guy and still in college. Pleaded for change that broke it to be reverted and no one would do it. Left because it wasn't worth it anymore. I left with nothing lined up (since I was still in college).

Second time, I was pinned into a project with no billable hours when the expectation was I was a billable resource. I had something else in the wings so it was easy to leave that.

Both places, the management struck me as either incompetent or uncaring. I wouldn't go back to that even if I wound up on the streets. I'd rather work retail or foodservice.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I left as a sub-contractor, to work for another company since there was a hiring freeze and no potential for me to become a permanent employee. Since I left on good terms, 2 months later I was able to text my old manager and he brought be back as a permanent employee making $15k more a year.

This is something you have to be careful doing since your former boss can hold it against you or could see you as someone without loyalty to the company.
  • Options
    MideMide Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I personally would not. There's a reason why you left that job the first time around...keep on thinking of that reason(s) before even pondering going back.
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did and i'm very happy about it.

I left because some personal matters taht i had to take care of, i was a top performer there. Year and a half later i got call from my former boss telling me that they needed someone like me in the company, and asked me what i wanted to return there, i said: to be honest i loved the cultre, the work and the coworkers but i would only return for more money that i'm currently making., we negotiated back and fort for a few months until they made a good offer and here i am, some years later.