CCNA practice exams, study materials

KandinskyKandinsky Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've decided to try to get my CCENT. All of my certs up to this point I earned through New Horizons, by taking a week long class, that included a text book and practice exams by measureup.

Now I'm trying to put it all together myself. So far I have the CBT nuggets course, the Train Signal course, this packet tracer thing that I keep reading about but have no idea how to use, and also this GNS3 thing which I also have no clue about but keep hearing about. What am I missing? What would you suggest for practice exams? I read on a thread that the Boson exams were the closest, is that the general consensus? I'm used to taking practice exams to gauge where I'm at, that's how I got all my other certs.

Comments

• techfan21techfan21 Registered Users Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you are looking for a good way to study for the CCENT I would recommend Testout CCNA they do a good job of covering just about everything you will likely see on a CCENT or CCNA exam.
  • KandinskyKandinsky Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks, I'll check it out.
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    PacketTracer is fine for the CCENT. GNS3 will only do routing and if you want switching you will need to use IOU. Boson is also a good practice test. Also, you may want to pick up a textbook. Grab either Odom or Lammle.
    Thanks for the advice. Today I went to Barnes & Noble and bought the Lammle CCENT study guide. I think I've got enough materials now (hopefully). Now just to dive in and hopefully test in a couple months from now.
  • BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Im a little surprised these days that people don't recommend CBTNuggets anymore, Jeremy is a boss, I literally could not have passed my CCNA without those videos.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
    Blackout: Thanks for the rec. I did get the CBT nuggets videos. I decided to watch the trainsignal vids first, but I definitely plan on watching the CBTnuggets afterwards. I got my Lammle book yesterday and I just have to figure out how to use this packetracer and gns3 thing and hopefully I can get what I need to pass the ICND1 before the end of the year.
  • jerry557jerry557 Member Posts: 26 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Blackout wrote: »
    Im a little surprised these days that people don't recommend CBTNuggets anymore, Jeremy is a boss, I literally could not have passed my CCNA without those videos.

I think what puts some people off is they are a bit pricey, especially if you aren't cramming the material.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Boson practice exams are great for Cisco and highly praised here. Transcender exams are not bad, they just lack the simulation type of questions you will have on the exam. CCENT Certification | Practice Exams & Training Best of luck man!
  • digitheadsdigitheads Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    get the true blue Cisco INCD1/CENT training book, comes with a CD, you can pace yourself section by section and take the appropriate practice exams.

It really helped me, I pretty much took everything I could get off of the web, but I found myself memorizing the questions and answers, not the content. I was getting like 80 to 90% correct. then I took the test on the cd, way more accurate, and I only scored 30% wow...

so I started over, finally got to where I could whip the exam at a solid 90%, so I went in. got 85% on the exam WOOO HOOOO
    first step down.....

get the book, also get a subnetting workbook if you are having problems. know binary to decimal conversions. how to convert subnet masks, VLSM - and know your protocols and what happens at each layer of the OSI model and how that relates to the TCP model.
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I may look into the Boson practice exams if I still feel I need some work after reading Odom/Lammle and doing the video courses and labs.