Options

OSCP Begins - again today

flatworldflatworld Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
Long story short, purchased 90 days in April, Extended another 90 days August first. I'll keep extending another 90 days until I am ready.This is now my focus in life! Has anyone else here extended by 90 days, with 0 buyers remorse?Any warranted extension I view as an investment.
Next up: OSCP

Comments

• Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can't afford doing that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it costs you several thousand bucks.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    A 90day extension is $600 if I remember right. Buying the PWK course and extending it a few times is still cheaper than a SANS course, and worth a lot more IMO.
  • Options
    griffondggriffondg Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just extended for 30 days on Friday and debated going for 60, or even 90. Work is paying for the first 90 but I'm paying for the extensions. I have no remorse and will also continue to extend if necessary.
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    blackberet wrote: »
    a 90day extension is $600 if i remember right. Buying the pwk course and extending it a few times is still cheaper than a sans course, and worth a lot more imo.

this ^^^
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Did you have to extend while still active on your course? I am not sure if I will hit that point because I still have over two months but I am curious.
  • Options
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    Did you have to extend while still active on your course? I am not sure if I will hit that point because I still have over two months but I am curious.

I extended it by 90 days with 2 days left.
    I'm not sure if we can extend at same prices if the lab expires? i think you have to do it before your time is gone...not sure.
  • Options
    griffondg wrote: »
    I just extended for 30 days on Friday and debated going for 60, or even 90. Work is paying for the first 90 but I'm paying for the extensions. I have no remorse and will also continue to extend if necessary.

same here, work did the base pay; any future extensions I foot the bill.
  • Options
    You can extend at any time in the future, you can also purchase retest vouchers for something like $60 at any point in time in the future. If they upgrade the materials, you can purchase an upgrade at any time in the future. All for the same price as when you're in the course.

I purchased the course back when it was PWBv3 (Nov 2009), I found out a week after my start date that I was deploying so it got set aside. I never touched my lab time, didn't review the material, etc. A bit over two years later and I thought about it, I was able to upgrade from PWBv3 to PWK for a small charge. I wanted just the upgrade with no lab time so that I could review the materials at my own pace without issues and that's what I got. Last year I thought I would finally have sometime to get in the labs, I bought a month, then two weeks later I moved and haven't gotten back on it.

The point is, keep your student ID number handy and keep the email you registered with, and you can upgrade, buy lab time, buy test retakes, etc. for as long as you want or need. I know people that upgrade their materials everytime a new set is released, which I expect to happen again around January since they're releasing PWKv2 at Defcon.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    BlackBeret wrote: »
    ....which I expect to happen again around January since they're releasing PWKv2 at Defcon.

Ooooh. I'm looking at OSCP at the beginning of the year so that would be great to jump in the updated course.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    justjenjustjen Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    BlackBeret wrote: »
    You can extend at any time in the future... upgrade their materials everytime a new set is released, which I expect to happen again around January since they're releasing PWKv2 at Defcon.
    Decisions, decisions... I have been working toward starting my OSCP adventure sometime in October. Now I'm wondering if I should wait, or just upgrade after Christmas break. If the upgrade cost is reasonable, I may go ahead and start in October, and upgrade in the January/February timeframe.
  • Options
    Them upgrading the course material is just speculation on my part. I also don't know how different Kali 2.0 will be from the current version, I imagine if they update the course material to match Kali 2.0 the only difference will be some of the tools and options use. I wouldn't put it off just for that. Also they just finished refreshing the lab network, so I wouldn't imagine it's going to change. Honestly even when they went from PWBv3 to Kali the course content stayed the same, it was just a different way of getting there.
  • Options
    justjenjustjen Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Blackberet, thanks for the additional thoughts! Will stick with my plans then, or possibly accelerate my start date, if possible. :)
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, I wouldn't expect a course update anytime soon. Kali 2.0 is a cosmetic upgrade to the GUI. The tools are all the same. Even if they do "update" the course material...there is no additional benefit to waiting.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just extended mine another 30 days (first 90 days + 30 days now this month another 30 days). I am very slow and also sometimes I stopped because I became busy at work for a few days then I take it back.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.